Santander Have Compromised My Security

deejay1001
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1928 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Due to Santander's recent login changes Password Managers can no longer be used.

I have quite a few sensitive passwords and have always followed the advice of:

No words or recognisable number sequences. Use an absolute minimum 8 character length, a mixture of upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters. Do not use the same password for multiple sites. Do not keep a written record of passwords.

I use a password manager with fingerprint authorisation to make the above easily achievable but can no longer do this with Santander.

Here's an interesting quote from Santander in a Business Computer Review article on Santander and Password Managers which is generally pretty scathing of the Santander approach to security.

“We discourage the use of any system which would allow another person to gain access to or use the customer’s password or other security details. This may include some forms of password manager such as those built into browsers”.

Can anyone here come up with a viable option that complies with general security commonsense and Santanders advice?

Write it on a bit of paper or remember it. Password managers can easily be compromised in most cases so banks don't take the risk.

They certainly haven't compromised your security. If anything they're strengthening it.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Write it on a bit of paper or remember it. Password managers can easily be compromised in most cases so banks don't take the risk.

They certainly haven't compromised your security. If anything they're strengthening it.

My sensitive passwords are something like zd&G6rT+01bS and there are sixteen of them, all different.

Remember them all? Afraid my brain is not that well trained.

Write them all down on separate bits of paper hidden in different places. Not really an option is it?

Write them all down on one piece of paper. Try reclaiming from the bank if you're a victim of bank fraud and the bank discovers how you store your passwords.

In addition to solving these problems a good fingerprint or secure key or two process protected password manager will also protect against malicious software such as key loggers.

Find any online security expert who thinks password managers are a bad idea.

Also bear in mind that the system Santander have changed to means that your passwords are stored on their servers in unencrypted format.

How many banks or other large organisations have been hacked compared to how many good password managers have been hacked.