Change in Position but not Title or Description

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1962 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I am seeking a little advice as to my rights.

Basically I would like to know if my job title and description etc should be a true representation of the position acknowledged to be held and job function performed.

Me employment began back in November 2014 in certain position.

Within a number of months I was transferred to a different department and position. This was done with no input from myself. There is a little bit of a back story here too.

Since then, and several documented requests for my title and description to be reevaluated they remain unchanged and reflect the position I was originally hired to undertake and bear no relevance to duties etc now performed.

This came to bear some significance recently when some new positions were announced.

Not knowing exactly what my position is I felt quite disadvantaged. I was unsure if any of the new positions would potentially be a career advancement or if I would again be better seeking clarification on my own position.

Again I raised this question and explained my feelings

I was told that it would be looked into and that if nothing heard within two weeks to re-approach.

Couple of points here :

• This put it beyond the closing date for some of the positions applications leaving me unsure if I would be better off applying for some of these positions or persisting in attempting to gain clarity on existing position.
  • Most of the new positions make reference to position I fulfill. I am the only person who performs this role.
  • The two week time period has elapsed with no update despite a request being made.

Others within the company who have changed position and moved departments all appear to have had titles etc amended to reflect this.

Advice appreciated.

There is no legal requirement for a job to have a job title or a job description. Technically, you could be "oi, you"!

I can't see that career advancement is determined either by job title or job description - surely whether it is the job that you want to do with the terms that go with it are a better measure?

I'd also observe that if everyone else gets new job titles and job descriptions (and terms?) when they move, and nobody is very motivated to do the same for you, that might suggest that they don't value you quite as much as you think. If they thought it was a deal breaker and you'd leave for these things, wouldn't they do something about it? It may be that the job you want is with another employer?

are you paid according to a graded scheme? if not then title and function not really relevant as long as you get paid the same as others doing the same level of work.

Have you applied for some of these other jobs you mention as it appears as though you havent? It is difficult to see how you can progress if you dont blow your own trumpet a little, people wont be able to guess what you you hope to achieve so at least give them a decent nudge