Misfuelled Car - Petrol in a Diesel***Resolved***

robj1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1941 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My wife has a 2010 Diesel Outlander.

She was very low on fuel, and brimmed it with petrol.

She then drove just shy of a mile before it splutted and came to a stop with her instant realisation of her mistake.

Quick call to the insurance company and they picked up the car and took it to a Lookers garage.

Lookers had it for 3 days, on the 3rd day drained the tank (via the engine bay) and replaced the fuel filter. They said the car was now all sorted, they added some fuel and some additive to the fuel to ensure smooth running.

I picked it up and paid the insurance excess.

That was around 60 miles ago - the tank was showing half full when the handed it back, and we drove on this without topping up.

The car MPG has dropped about 25%, it's knocking slightly and the engine management light has come on, and it smells of petrol fumes.

We phoned the insurance company, who have been excellent, and said they would transport the car directly to the garage to have it repaired.

They said if it turns out to be non-fuel related, they will cover the cost of transportation, but if it is related to the misfuel, the garage would have to pay for the transportation as they let the car go before it was fixed.

The garage have just phoned and said:

4 error messages

Fuel Filter Exchange - probably fuel related, they are going to brim it full of diesel and drive it for 40 miles (me paying for the diesel) they said there might be a small amount of petrol still in the system

Speed Sensor - not fuel related apparently although no problems before the misfuel

Air Flow Low - problem with the air flow meter (which they had to remove to get to the fuel filter) but not excepting any responsibility as not fuel related.

And cant remember the 4th

Other issues they have now noticed they hadn't before:

Leaking injector - Saying isn't fuel related.... not sure how it's not.

Exhaust slight blow - understand this isn't fuel related, but had an exhaust check only last month

I don't know what parts are misfuel related, and which aren't if I am honest.

I would assume the injector(s) now leaking are part of a claim, but they say they are not.

I am awaiting the results of tank of diesel going in and a 40 miles drive that should be happening now - however not sure how to proceed with the injectors and other issues that I believe could be fuel related.... would it be to get an experts opinion?

Thanks

Rob

Just spoken to them again, the 4th thing on the list was the ambient air sensor.

They have filled it with diesel, driven it 40 miles, all fault codes now clear and driving as it should apparently.

They say the injectors look like they have been leaking for about a month, so not related to the misfuel - I have told them I will get a second opinion on this.

I had a Audi A4 1.9 TDI which I filled with petrol, it went about 30 miles before it lit up like a chistmas tree and died, it was taken to the main stealer and they promptly emptied my wallet of £800...... You are lucky you have insurance :)

If the injector had been leaking you will get carbon build up around it.

Pleased you have managed to resolve this robj1..will update your thread title.

Tip....I understand you can buy an insert which makes it impossible to put a petrol nozzle into a diesel car:wink:

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread