Getting married!!!

Tom Angus
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1944 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can somebody can help with a bit of advice please?

I'm completely debt free, and have a private pension, my intended sadly isn't.

She is currently paying off a series of debts from her previous marriage, in very small amounts each month, that will take many a year to complete.

We wish to marry, but I've no intention of doing so if this makes me liable, for her ex-husband's debts!

If we marry can her debtors make a claim her from my finances for her/his debt?

Any advice/information anyone could give me on what legal position I'd be in would be most appreciated.

:help:

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

You are only liable for debts in your name and joint debts. You have no liability for any of her or her ex-husband's debts.

However, if you do marry and intend to have joint assets, her beneficial interest in those assets are subject to any enforcement action taken by creditors.

Will, thanks for that most appreciated. Can you dumb it down a bit... I was a binman in another life and am a tad thick.

If I was to open a joint bank account after the wedding would that then become a 'joint asset' that the baddies could shaft me with?

:peep:

For joint assets, creditors can only make a claim on the amount of equity the debtor has in the asset. If you open a joint account, your wife's share of any money in it can potentially be affected by any legal action against your wife. Your share of the money will not be affected.

It may cause inconvenience if you have to prove what percentage of any money is yours if the account is frozen by the actions of creditors. But generally your share of any assets cannot be taken to settle your wife's debts.

what are her debts?

consumer credit?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Binmen are not thick.

I have a PhD in engineering...

Anyhow, I would keep all assets under one name and avoid having a share in anything.

In other words, if you buy a washing machine in your name and pay with your card, keep the receipt.

I wouldn't open a joint bank account.

What you could do is have a credit card with her which you pay off every month.

So she can have access to a card payment but anything she buys belongs to you as you pay the bill.

Then if she gives you £100 in cash, nobody would ever know and there's nothing illegal about it.

My thoughts exactly, refuse collection workers are not thick. Its a job.

I wouldn't get married..

You'll have money for 60inch tvs, go pub when you want, stay out all night, go play golf or play on xbox till The wee small hours...

I jest obviously!!

Get married but be prepared to prove what is yours in accounts and assets if needs be.

How many of these debts are solely in her name, which are in the ex-husband's name, and what are in joint names ?

She should not be paying anything against debts that are in his name, and you are certainly not liable for any of them.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

what are her debts?

consumer credit?

Why don't you answer this question by following the link. You might get some surprising advice

I don't say "don't get married" because I have been for many decades and it's great if you are with the right person.

But you need to separate your emotions from financial affairs.

Make sure you have strict proof that everything you own is documented and there are no shared assets, just in case you get the bailiffs at your door one day.

At that point, saying that the tv is yours won't be enough, so keep the receipt and your bank/credit card statement to prove you purchased it.

Post #6 needs answering. Forget about the majority of other posts in here arguing over binmen

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D