Leak from flat above me

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1953 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

For the second time this year there has been a leak from the flat above me, first time was not much damage and was stopped fairly quickly

Today the damage was more extensive, lucky no plaster work damage but it has stained the ceiling in my bedroom from window to almost the ceiling light fitting and from the wall opposite my bed to the light fitting as well, plus a small amount of decorative damage in the kitchen.

I wasn't offered any help to dry out my bedroom, window been open all day and heating on, it still smells damp and musty :( And no help to repair the paintwork on the ceiling, none offered either for the first leak either.

Do the HA have a responsibility to repair the damage at all please?

Edited by dx100uk
Spacing

Hi Sparks

I will give you the tactic the HA may use in this scenario is that you and the flat above should have House Contents Insurance and it is between you and the flat above to resolve this not our (HA) problem that's what House Contents Insurance is for.

Sadly any Decoration Damage due to the Flat above you would have to claim via the tenant in the flat above as most HA Decoration is the responsibility of the Tenant one of the reasons they like to use the tactic mentioned.

You need to report this to the HA via there Repairs procedure either, telephone (only if you can record the call), Email or via there Online/Website Repairs. You need to keep a paper trail of this.

You need to emphasise to them your concern that the leak from above staining your ceiling from corner to ceiling light fitting and due to this you require an Electrical Inspection/Clerk of Works as this is a Health and Safety issue as well as the Damp and Staining.

Edited by stu007

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hi Sparks

I will give you the tactic the HA may use in this scenario is that you and the flat above should have House Contents Insurance and it is between you and the flat above to resolve this not our (HA) problem that's what House Contents Insurance is for.

Sadly any Decoration Damage due to the Flat above you would have to claim via the tenant in the flat above as most HA Decoration is the responsibility of the Tenant one of the reasons they like to use the tactic mentioned.

You need to report this to the HA via there Repairs procedure either, telephone (only if you can record the call), Email or via there Online/Website Repairs. You need to keep a paper trail of this.

You need to emphasise to them your concern that the leak from above staining your ceiling from corner to ceiling light fitting and due to this you require an Electrical Inspection/Clerk of Works as this is a Health and Safety issue as well as the Damp and Staining.

The flat above me is empty at the moment, the leak was caused by workmen getting it ready for the next tenant

stu, if tenants only have contents insurance, it won't cover the building. Are they really meant to insure the building?

HB

It does not come under Building Insurance....Internal...Contents Insurance covers this.

Given the above flat is empty and it was caused by HA Contractors...the HA are liable to make good...or the Tenants home insurance (Contents)

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

It does not come under Building Insurance....Internal...Contents Insurance covers this.

Given the above flat is empty and it was caused by HA Contractors...the HA are liable to make good...or the Tenants home insurance (Contents)

Andy

They have contacted me and said it is up to me to claim on my insurance!

Hi

Thanks for the further information as has been said as this was caused by there contractors working in the void property above you they are Liable for putting the damage caused right.

It is now time to use there Complaints Procedure so write a letter and title it 'Formal Complaint' explain the damage caused to your property due to the negligence of there contractor working in the Void Property that caused this damage and as it was there contractor they are liable for rectifying the damage caused.

You also require the following:

1. Copy of the Complaints Policy (not the Leaflet)

2. Copy of Void Property Policy (not the Leaflet)

3. Copy of Repairs & Maintenance Policy (not the Leaflet)

4. Copy of Compensation Policy (not the Leaflet)

5. Copy of Customer Care Policy (not the leaflet)

6. Copy of Right to Repair Policy (not the Leaflet)

7. Copy of the Housing Association Insurance Details.

Now when you get the above make sure you have a pencil/highlighter and as you read them just think to yourself 'Did the do that' if not mark it to use against them.

Also remember to mention what I said in post#2

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group