Dismissal by text message

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1948 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I received a disciplinary invite letter, the letter was not dated and no venue stated just the time and date.

i phoned the manager to change date as I needed advice and was told they would contact me with another date.

i was off work at the time due to close family bereavement.

i then received a text message telling me my contract has been terminated, and a letter had been sent, which I have not received.

i have worked for the company for over 4 years.

The question I am asking is what do you think my best course of action should be.

Can I send a grievance letter or would the manager ignore it as I no longer employed.

i have received nothing in writing and no right of appeal.

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

Can you give more info please. What company, how long were you employed for. What was the reason for disciplinary.

You certainly have a right to appeal, and a right to know what you were terminated for. Were you suspended before this, any meetings to do with the issue?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Sorry HB. SHould have said type of company

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Thanks for replies. I was employed for over 4 years and disciplinary invite was for unauthorised absence,due to close bereavement.

I would rather not state where I was employed.

The message came last week and I am not sure how to proceed

Is this your first time having an unauthorised absence? Or has it happened a few times before? Did you inform them you needed time off? Are you in a union? Has anything else been said about this before?

can you answer my other questions as well please.

Also, by close, which relative was it. Was it an immediate relative, or a cousin/uncle/grandparent etc. When you informed your manager, what did they say? You certainly have a right to appeal.

this all seems to be a bit of a red herring as far as your problem goes so more importantly, what exactly ahve to received and when. To dismiss you certain steps must be taken over a certain time, each step will depend on why they wish to dismiss and how long you have been employed.

At the moment you have been unlawfully dismissed. Thi isnt the same as unfair dismissal, it is about procedure rather than cause. That menas they will be forced to apy you the monies you would be due if they ahd done things properly plus a small amout for the naughtiness so about 6 weeks pay overall.

Speak to ACAS about this, they will be able to point you to the relevant guidelines and law and may well act as an intermediary and speal to your employer about thsi, even if to just make sure you get paid for the sloppy and wrong notice.

Now unfair dismissal is dealt with via an employment tribunal and both parties have to take certain actions or they will be in bother there. ACAS can advise on this as well and will probaby start by getting you to appeal the dismissal. You have a limited tiem to take all of the steps so get on to them right away and start writing a draft appeal letter stating why you shouldnt be dismissed and part of that will be the procedure and part the reason, which is unknown to us and from what you say, you as well.

This will put them in an awkward position as they may be forced to re-employ you so careful how you phrase things and dont write in such a manne that only one outcome is acceptable.

They appear to ahve got even the disciplinary meeting arrangement wrong so you have a strong position to get soemthing positive from this

Edited by honeybee13
Paragraphs and typos

• 2 weeks later...