Housing benefit over payment over 9 years ago

Jasperdog
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1982 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My 27 year old son rang me today saying he has received a letter Housing benefits from when he was in a bedsit at 18 attending college

He moved and they have just sent him a letter saying he owes £500 and they are taking it direct from his wages as he did not inform them he had moved on time..

. He has always worked since leaving the property and has always paid council tax at his new addresses for 9 years and been on the electoral roll.

He has never received any letters of over payment and has no knowledge of this over payment.

I was guarantor at the estate agents for the bedsit and i never received anything.

Is this legal for them just to take from his wages, he doesn't remember dates that long ago.

He is on low income and he and his partner pay the rent on their home £1,000 a month as they both work.

He has not claimed housing benefits other than for the 6 months he was at the bedsit 9 years ago.

They want to take an extra 25 per week from his wages, he already pays £40 a month for arrears of council tax from his previous property.

I think its unfair that they can chase an over payment without contacting you when you have been legally available on electoral role and council tax,

we can not prove that he did not tell them when he moved as its so long ago.

Any Advise please

got to the HMRC website

fill in their free SAR.

make them prove they have the data that he owes this

rarely can they prove it.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I would suggest having a read through Housing Benefits part 13 section 100 which deals with over payments. I cannot insert a URL for some reason however it is http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2006/213/part/13/made If they made the mistake then it is classed as an "official error" and they need to write it off.