Swapping Vehicle With My Brother - DVLA question

broadbandfodder
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1960 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Me & my brother are swapping cars, both cars are the same year & relatively the same value. We are simply swapping as his car is an estate and better for my large dog and my car better for him as his daughter (my niece) can only drive automatics and mine happens to be an auto.

I'm just confirming the taxation side of things. I pay DD monthly on my car (so kind of runs from month to month) whereas my brother has paid for the full year upfront on his car. His car tax is paid up till May 2019

I'm planning on doing the transfer of ownership/sale online via DVLA website while I am at my brothers (he lives 30 miles away). I am assuming when I do the transfer online for both cars it will automatically cancel my tax DD with respect to my vehicle and as for my brothers car he will be refunded for his car tax for each clear month by the dvla ?

We will then need to both re-tax the cars again from kinda scratch?

Is this the correct procedure? To be honest I've never sold a car since the new car tax system. Obviously we will update our respective car insurance's at that time too.

Thanks in advance ;-)

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks all for help & confirmation ;-)

I always wondered if this swap could be done at midnight of the last day of the month to avoid losing a paid month.

Yep,we are doing it at end of month to avoid losing any days etc ..as no hurry for both of us, seems a plan

As there could easily be a computer glitch, doing it at midnight could unfortunately result in a loss of the next month's refund.

I suggest that, providing that you both have off road parking at the propsed place of transfer (at your brother's according to post#1), you each do a SORN on the 30th when you have finished using the individual vehicle.

You then can take your time doing the ownership transfer and retax the 'new' vehicle on 1st.

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

I have no legal qualifications.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you

As there could easily be a computer glitch, doing it at midnight could unfortunately result in a loss of the next month's refund.

I suggest that, providing that you both have off road parking at the propsed place of transfer (at your brother's according to post#1), you each do a SORN on the 30th when you have finished using the individual vehicle.

You then can take your time doing the ownership transfer and retax the 'new' vehicle on 1st.

sorry I just noticed this reply - that's a great idea!n no losing out on any tax & probably less hassle, cheers @Gick