End of Probation meeting

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1987 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, question for the HR experts...

I've ended my probation period with a large, benevolent organisation - the manager has sent me a formal invitation to a Performance Review meeting, in which he's explicitly stated that "Failure to meet company standards could result in termination.." etc, as well as reeling off a list of concerns. He also gave a couple of weeks notice of the meeting. So from an HR perspective he followed the Perf Review template exactly.

Now, I've had a search around and haven't found any instances of people having formal invitations, AND HR were present, AND not being terminated. The letter makes no mention of performance improvements/plans etc. I've done nothing that you could call gross misconduct (or any misconduct), and oddly enough, I've fulfilled all bar one of my probation objectives (and the one I didn't, I've not had opportunity to).

Two questions:

1) As HR will be there, and he's fulfilled all the legal/best practices for a termination,

are such meetings typically just a formality for termination?

2) Probation objectives - this is confusing me, as I said above I fulfilled nearly all of them. Typically wouldn't most large organisations, in the above circumstances, simply extend the probation period with a demand the employee address and rectify the concerns raised?

Thanks all !

1. I've never had HR there whether retaining or dismissing

2. I never extend except for eg bereavement or other unusual circumstances - the goals are set such as they can be met during probation so no point drawing it out

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

I dont think that the presence or absence of HR gives anything away but you say manager reeled off a list of concerns and unless they are of the " are you sure what you have learnt is useful for your career here" type prompts to have some answers ready for the interview this is more worrying for your future as it points towards what may be viewed as competency issues.

Dont takethis wrong, I'm not saying you arent up to doing the job but rather they may be worried about particular aspects of legal obligations they have to others and so may have to make choices on their predictions of how things will be in the future and so intend to dig a bit deeper into waht you have achieved so far.