Less Contracted hours than others doing same role

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1973 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, my first post here so hoping I am in the right place :) Its a bit long winded but I will try to be concise as possible.

I work in local authority in care centre. The same group has a number of similar centres throughout the County. We have recently been subject to management restructuring and additional responsibilities have been added to my role and other staff who do the same role as me in the other locations. We also have regular review meetings where we get together and share ideas to standardise our policies and operating procedures throughout all the centres, so we all work the same way. However, at these meetings I have discussed working hours with other staff doing this role, and find that whilst my contracted hours are 18, most of the others are on 25hrs/week. I raised this with management several months ago, both verbally and in writing, requesting that my contract be reviewed to align me with my peers. This was verbally acknowledge with a "we will look into this" but I have heard nothing more since. I have also recently discovered that when I was recruited, I was put on a higher pay grade than my peers, through employer error, which I had no idea. I suspect that they are holding off increasing my hours as they are already paying me more than everyone else for the same role, but that does not give me more time to complete my work so is not a valid reason. I am struggling to keep up with my daily tasks and finding it very stressful that I have to rush and make mistakes/forget things due to time limitations. I am looking for alternative employment as I feel I cannot continue doing this job successfully on the hours given, but feel I shouldn't have to go through this upheaval if they just agreed to increased hours. I also suspect that should I leave, my post will be re-advertised at correct pay and 25hr contract to sort this anomaly.

What are my rights here? It is their mistake that I am higher paid for the same job, but that doesn't enable me to complete the work in less time, so feel I am being discriminated against. I feel its verging on constructive dismissal, but I know the terms needed to apply this are very specific. Any advice appreciated, thank you

I should add that no one suggested that my pay rate be reduced to align me with the others in this role, in return for increasing my hours, but this is something I would be prepared to consider. I have kept this in reserve hoping for some opportunity to "negotiate" for 25hr contract, but Management never came back after my original request put the "ball in their court", so no further opportunity to discuss it ...

So

You have a right to go home when your hours are done if you are contracted for number of hours and not "as the job requires" hours.

You have a right to put in a grievance

If its minor like 5p an hour and you'd be happy doing 25 hours I'd just straight out ask them. They may be avoiding an argument that won't come - let them know.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

so, do you down tools and go home after your contracted hours have ended? If you are employed to work betwwen say 9 and 12 6 days a week you should do just that and let your boss know in writing that it is impossible to do the required work in this time so they should consider either increasing your contracted hours or employ someone else to do the extra work that is left undone. No good speaking to people more than once about this, it will be ignored so get it in writing.

Is the job properly evaluated and part of a grading structure? You may have to accept that any changes will result in a reevaluation of your tasks and in the longer run possibly a retrograde move on the pay scale. Dont worry about what your peers do or get unless you want a very long battle. Agree about union membership, you get their legal team on the case and the employer tends to listen but that is hopefully not necessary. Membership will mean the local rep can bend the right ear as long as you are clear what you want as an outcome, just saying it isnt fair or they are treated differently doesnt actually get very far