Royal Veterinary College - Court Summons ***Claim Withdrawn***

spinningfish
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1961 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all

I had my dog treated at the RVC in September of last year, which overall came to around £2,500 in total.

I paid the initial £125 and the insurance covered the majority of it and paid that in February 2018, but there was £212 left for me to pay.

This was not a problem, so I called to see if I could pay the balance by Direct Debit over a few months. I was advised they couldn't do a DD, but they would take my debit card details and they would debit a set amount every month. That was fine with me. I gave my card details and thought no more of it.

I'd been away for half term, and have come home to a court summons! I've checked my bank and they haven't taken any money, as agreed!

I can't believe it. I've received no correspondence from anyone, otherwise I would have sorted it.

The RVC have put it through a company called Legal Recoveries & Collections Ltd.

Here are the details

Particulars of Claim

The Claimant's claim is for Veterinary Services rendered by the Claimant to the Defendant as requested by the Defendant.

Full particulars having been supplied prior to the commencement of proceedings.

AND the Claimant claims;

1. Veterinary Services rendered - £212.37

2. and the Claimant also claims interest at 8% per annum persuant to Section 69 of the County Court Act 1984, namely £72.73 and continuing at a daily rate of £0.02572493 until Judgement or sooner payment.

Then they have added £35 court fee and £50 legal representative costs, so the debt is now £370.10!!

I know I should have probably noticed they weren't taking the money, but I also expected to hear something from someone to tell me to pay.

I'm happy to pay what I owe, but would appreciate help on how to respond to this.

Many thanks in advance.

Do you have it in writing That they would take payment via card?

For now go on to mcol and acknowledge the claim. Don't enter a defence yet. Just ack the claim continue through then exit.

What is the date on the claim form.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Thread moved to General Legal Issues forums in view of the court claim received...please continue to post here to your thread.

What date is the court claim spinningfish?

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

was this from mcol northants bulk court or from Salford court SF?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

have you spoken to the college since getting the claimform?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

well they MIGHT drop the claim if you pay..

and they

Hi DX.

I haven't no.

I think I will call them on Monday because somewhere along the line something has gone wrong.

They do a fabulous job and they're certainly owed the money.

I agree, they are great, We took our cat to the hospital in Brookman's Park and they were really helpful. She was a very nervous cat and we were amazed that she absolutely loved all the lady students who were diagnosing her.

I hope you can reach an agreement with them, phoning is a good idea.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

In the meantime you must still acknowledge service of the claim by(5th Nov) and prepare to defend.

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

I spoke to a very nice lady yesterday, who advised that she could see the conversation whereby we agreed to pay by instalments but nothing after that.

She also said that as the account was with LRC, that I would have to deal with them. I offered to pay RVC in full, btw.

Yes, I've done AOS and defended.

Huge shame. :(

Theyre wrong. They can still stop court action. Theyre fobbing you off. Or rather she doesnt have a clue what shes talking about.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

the account maybe with the dca but college are the claimant.

or are they not aware of how/what happens when a claim is issued?

ask their legal dept to cancel the claim..you'll pay direct..

and they

To add, if you offer payment in full and they wont accept, you could use it as part of your defence, and say you offered full payment immediately, but they refused to accept it and continued with the court claim.

Should they accept it if you do call their bluff, or offer mediation, make sure you do not agree to pay ANY court fees. Make them pay them.

Details are on the claim form if you wish to settle in full and to whom you make payment.

Have you done post 10 or post 15 yet?

and they

good gives you a total of 33 days.. don't miss filing defence if this is not resolved by that date

and they

Thanks DX.

I've just had the response from my email to the CEO.

It's nonsense.

See below:

"Dear Mr ….

I have been advised of your emails below and have been looking through your case file both with ourselves and our external debt collection agency to understand the timeline of events.

I can see that we treated …. in September and October 2017 and received part payment from your insurance company in February 2018.

At this point you would have been made aware from us and your insurance company that there was a shortfall.

On the 14th March we received an email from you requesting a payment plan, we agreed that you could split the balance over 3 months starting on the 1st April.

We received the first payment of £106.19 from you via bank transfer on the 9th April.

On this date you were then sent a reminder letter of the outstanding balance to ……..

No payment was received following this so you were then sent a pre-legal letter on the 8th May, giving you 7 days to pay before your case would then be referred to our external debt collection agency.

On the 1st of June your case was referred to Legal Recoveries & Collection.

I can see that the legal team spoke with you on the 2nd July where you advised that you were going to contact us as you had organised monthly payments.

You then called and spoke to the Accounts team on the 31st October.

You advised that you had previously called with your card details,

I have looked through our phone records and am unable to find this call, would you be able to confirm which number you dialled in from and when?

I would like to follow this up with the person who answered the call as we have no records of this on your account.

I am aware that you offered to pay the balance of your account to us, however there are fees incurred by our legal team which means the Accounts team will advise that you would need to contact LRC to pay as they will need to calculate their charges.

Once you have settled your account with LRC they will notify us and your case will be closed with no further action taken.

We absolutely would want to avoid court action so if we can get this settled it would be best for both parties. I can arrange that you can call the Accounts team to pay.

Please let me know if you would like me to arrange this and I will do so immediately.

I hope this goes some way to explain the events that have taken place in the lead up to the legal team being involved.

If you could confirm the details of the phone call you had with the Accounts team that would be great.

Kind Regards,

Victoria Forrester

Customer Care Team Leader”

Two pertinent points come out of this that don't make sense to me.

According to the email, the payment plan was agreed 1st April, I made the first payment on the 9th April, yet they send me a pre-legal letter on the 8th of May? Hmmmm...

Also, me calling them in July didn't happen. Categorically.

They have also omitted the initial amount that I paid.

Just re-read that the payment plan was set up for 14th March, with 1st payment at the beginning of April.

I remember now that they didn't take it from the card so I paid it via bank transfer, assuming that there had been an error of some sort. Still odd to have a pre-legal letter shortly after if the agreed amount was paid.

two posts merged and pers info removed.

i'd ring and get it paid IMHO.

argue about what did and didn't happen afterwards

dx

and they

Yes otherwise they will chase you for the balance and you would also get a CCJ just for the balance.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Just a bit of good news! The RVC dropped the court claim and allowed me to pay just the amount originally owed. My phone records showed that I had called when stated and given my card details, so it was their error.

Thank you so much for all the help. I will try and donate when I am able to.

Well done SF...thread title updated.

Andy