DVLA untaxed fine - seller didn’t send off logbook...

BillyBob10
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2004 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, first time poster here, apologies if I get anything wrong!

I bought the car two years ago, immediately set up a direct debit and - foolishly now it seems - thought that was that.

You all know where this is going... So, last month my car got clamped outside the house, that was the first I knew that my car was untaxed. It turns out I’ve been driving for a year with no tax, I was (and still am) a broken man :(. I regularly check my MOT and insurance online, but tax - it just never crossed my mind, the direct debit was set up immediately, it renews, so all good?

Surely there’s a major flaw in the system here? The seller didn’t send off the logbook SO the DVLA had no idea I was the registered keeper. And yes, lo and behold, I now find out about the rule that the direct debits will NOT renew unless they have the keepers details...

Then when I finally get the logbook it states that ‘this does NOT prove ownership of the vehicle’ - so what the hell does??? The person who taxes and insured it??? Who then has their direct debits not renewed by the DVLA???

Adding to this is the fact that the missus is not on her logbook (I am) yet they renewed her direct debits???

Also I have two vehicles also registered with the DVLA. The police also found me within two weeks a few months back for speeding (33 in a 30...) It just seems so wrong?

Is there ANYTHING I can do about this? I’m guessing not etc etc but if I start getting the fines coming through as they’ve spotted me on camera 6 times over the past year I won’t be able to afford that...

All this because they didn’t renew the DD? And doesn’t the fact that they did with the missus ruin their argument?

Apologies but I’m completely out of my depth here and don’t know which way to turn. Would a magistrate see common sense and see the flaw in the system here? Is it worth heading to court to argue my case?

Thanks

Mike

Apologies guys a few mistakes/typos above but it was too hard to go and fix them all whilst on my phone!

I’m also aware of the fact that it is my responsibility to check about the logbook after four weeks - I’ve got no argument there :( ... Just seems wrong that they can not renew a DD - what possible reason would they give for that? The complaints perhaps from owners who sold the cars but were still getting charged?

be careful how you interpret what the V5C actually says..and what it means..which is not what you quoted above.

it says 'this document in not proof of ownership..it shows who is responsible for registering and taxing the vehicle'

now like surnames and addresses will not run up a red flag, as you say, husband often pays for things for spouse and or siblings..

but in your case its registered in a different name and a different address totally so when it came around to the system wanting to renew it spat it out as two things are wrong.

you should have queried why you didn't get a V5c after about a week or two of owning it.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Not there are knowledgeable ones here that will hopefully be along soon

But pers id cough up..it was your doing that caused it..

The vehicle is not in your name and you should have retailed the green slip thus ensuring he did transfer ownership/registationto you at rhe time of purchase

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Just looking at the DVLA’s guide to re-taxing, their official line is ‘Your direct debit will not automatically renew if there is no vehicle keeper in the DVLA’s records’ ...

Wouldn’t the previous owner (who didn’t send the logbook off) still be in their records as the keeper? And hence the vehicle does have a keeper and the tax should have been renewed?

yes but as post 6

and they

yes but as post 6

Sorry bud I’m not arguing for the sake of it honestly! I also paid two months tax for a cheap runabout I bought during that period when I sorted the brake lines on this car for the MOT...

Is the court process worthwhile? Are the costs extortionate for going to court to get someone independent to listen to this? Are you then able to pay in instalments as the DVLA won’t allow it? It just seems so unfair on the average motorist who is and has paid tax for 30 years; I’m really tempted to get a magistrate to hear this but is the process a nightmare?