Road tax quandry

Surfer01
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1974 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

According to the DVLA when selling or buying a vehicle, the road tax should be changed immediately etc. and it can all be done Online. This not strictly true as we found out on Sunday.

Our previous car was taxed in the Disabled Tax class. We traded it in on Sunday and did all the paperwork with the dealership. No issue advising vehicle was not longer registered to us as done Online. We cannot have two vehicles registered to us as disabled.

We then did insurance for new vehicle and no problem. We then tried to do tax, but we were unable to do this due to the change of tax class of the new vehicle. Although I had all the documentation etc for mobility disability etc and it would have been available "Online" from the DWP as proof, the change of the tax class can only be done at a Post Office.

This left us in a bit of a quandary as we were over 100 miles from home, the traded in vehicle was no longer registered or insured to us so we could not use it anyway. The only way forward was to set up a Direct Debit so that we could drive home.

On Monday morning I went into the Post Office and did the change of tax class etc using the new keeper slip which was acceptable however there is now a direct debit set up on my account. Cost is about £28. The vehicle should have the disabled road tax from the Monday anyway. Do I cancel the DD or leave it for the funds to be deducted and then cancel?

I feel that the system discriminated against people who are disabled and purchase a vehicle over a weekend or after hours as the change of tax class cannot be done Online.

they the DVLA send any money paid for tax back to you that's been paid.

did the same a few months ago

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the advice.

They have not taken any money yet as it is a new DD which is why I was wondering if I should cancel the DD?

In effect there may be two "road taxes" on the vehicle at present.

However as they have our details Online, why can't a disabled person do the tax change Online as it left us on a very sticky wicket.

After all others who are not changing a vehicle to the disabled tax can do it all Online and be legal within minutes?

As we were over 100 miles from home, I must admit to almost panicking when we found out that we could not do the tax Online.

Luckily the sales person suggested the DD route which seemed the best option at the time.

ours was a sunday too!

and 650 miles away!

its got something to do with the already stamped sheet for the last vehicle [that page from the pip award.]

apparently a human has to check the stamp and that can only be done at a PO.

it

was explained to me but it went over my head too.

when you get it back just cancel the DD

ours did get used, we got the £26 back into the bank account and a letter saying the DD can now be cancelled

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 2 weeks later...

A DD was taken out of my bank on 29th Oct for Oct month and another DD went out today. Going Online to check it shows it is taxed until Oct 2019 and a breakdown underneath "Vehicle status" as "Not due". I have the new updated V5C showing that I acquired the vehicle on 14th Oct and the taxation class as "Disabled".

I am not sure whether the Tax until Oct 2019 is because of the DD or whether it is because of the Taxation class so I am a bit wary of cancelling the DD as do not want any issues with DVLA. We don't want another DD leaving our account at end of November especially with Xmas coming up.

Do I need to phone the DVLA to confirm that the vehicle is now taxed as Disabled until Oct 2019 and that I will get a full refund of the DDs paid or should I wait until they notify me? If we still had the old paper tax disc I probably would not be asking this question.

not due means disabled. exactly what ours said.

the DD's they took from us took about 10days to comeback into the account.

the letter also said that if the DD still showed then manually cancel it.

give it 2 weeks then if you've heard nowt give them a ring.

dx

and they

no not due is nothing to do with the dd... it means its not due as no tax is payable...it's registered as a disabled pers vehicle = free tax.

and they

no not due is nothing to do with the dd... it means its not due as no tax is payable...it's registered as a disabled pers vehicle = free tax.

Many thanks for the clarification. The last time we did it was in 2012 and things have changed since. I have cancelled the DD as we now have the new V5C which arrived today. Pity it did not arrive yesterday and I could have cancelled the DD before the funds left our account. :-)

Just a reminder that there have been several threads here about DVLA penalizing keepers who have not 'paid' the zero tax due on their class of vehicle. So in September you will need to go on line and compete the re-tax form although no monies will be due, assuming no change of status.

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

I have no legal qualifications.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you

oh yea you must each year!!..:lol:

just because it registered disabled DONT assume you ignore the yearly re-tax reminder!!

thanks gick..

and they