• Tweets

• Thank you. The npower debt was from 2019/2020 until EON took over the account late 2021.   npower had set a DCA on me even though I owed them nothing. I spoke to a customer service agent, following up by email, who confirmed I was in credit . I made a complaint to head office who sent a barrage of emails, changing the amounts each time. According to them, I owed £279.   The debt grew to what it is now as first npower and then EON subsequently failed to put a payment arrangement and direct debit in place to pay off this supposed sum and my ongoing bills.   I was very ill with Covid, struggling in lockdown with a disabled child and informed them of all this.   EON stopped their legal action when I took them to the ombudsman as this was part of my complaint and requested remedy but I have not received a notice of discontinuance.    I would like to set up my own dd to pay them off but am concerned they could still take legal action. I am on a low income and can’t afford to pay them more than a token amount each month.   
    • Thank you guys! @lookinforinfo thank you for the case, it seem to similar with my case which is gold. @Nicky Boy shouldn't be ICO?   Personal data breaches: a guide ICO.ORG.UK   For CAG I found this  The Confidentiality Advisory Group (CAG) is an independent body which provides expert advice on the use of confidential patient information. This includes providing advice to us, the Health Research Authority (HRA) for research uses. It also provides advice to the Secretary of State for Health for non-research uses.
    • HB - yes I agree it is about their paperwork and advice.  I need to be clear in my head what my complaint is.  And what a result looks like for me? (They should never have placed me with the shark with whom I've had all sorts of issues - but I don't think that's my complaint focus -v-  broker) 
    • HB - all sorts of issues have been in court; the main one re repo remains in court, no resolution.  They all stem really from bad advice by broker.  Indeed, but if the Ombudsman is prepared to accept the complaint, it would be about the advice given by the broker and their paperwork, wouldn't it? You seem to be asserting that the problems you've had stem from their bad advice. HB
    • Aesmith - wanted a btl was placed with a bridge.  The broker did no affordability check, no fact find, no income check, they filled in all the forms - just sent the signature page to sign. The question was/ is - with a high-paying short-term tenant in situ and a history of other high rentals should they have been able to secure a replacement btl?  I'd had a btl for donkeys.  The valuations were way off for the bridge.  As was discovered down the line. HB - all sorts of issues have been in court; the main one re repo remains in court, no resolution.  They all stem really from bad advice by broker. 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Deceived into renting, had a hellish experience and now landlord wants to sell

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1896 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

We moved in to our rented property at Christmas 2017. We both work from home and took the property based on being able to do just that. My fiancé has a photography studio set up here with regular clients coming to the house.

In May we found out that the neighbours had sold a patch of their garden to a builder who is now building a house on the land. The noise is unbearable, we are woken up every morning at 7 and we can't use the garden because of the noise and dust. The neighbours are also having their remaining garden paved by a separate company who also make noise from 7am. To top it off, our other next door neighbour have just started work on their house so we have to deal with hammering and banging all day on that side too.

The landlord claims he knew nothing about any of it, which is rubbish and the builders have confirmed that they have had extensive conversations with him as part of the planning process and he in fact moved out of the house because of the construction.

We have already asked for a rent reduction as we have been deceived in to moving in and the worst part is we pay nearly £2k in rent to live here! In this beautiful weather, we haven't been able to enjoy the garden at all.

I have spoken to a solicitor who has told me whilst the landlord did have a moral obligation to tell us about the work, he unfortunately didn't have a legal obligation, which I just cannot believe!

We have spoken to the builders who have now said they will try not to do noisy work before 8am, but even minor work causes enough noise to disturb us. We have to have the windows open because of the heat and there is no escape from it!

We've requested a rent reduction but the landlord said no and we would have to pay to get out of our contract. There is another month left of the building works and we just don't feel like we can cope with it anymore.

We're both being woken up in a state of stress and anxiety and its impacting on our work and our health!

Is there really nothing we can do!?

get on to the council envoironmantal health dept and ask them to inspect. Building work is seen as temporary so legal enforcement a bit harder and unless you asked your LL about any potential nuisance there is nothing to make him tell you. Be aware that councils also have things to say about using domestic premises for commercial purposes so I would avoid mentioning having customers calling as that may change the designated use of the property

Noise from construction works

Councils can serve a notice on people carrying out construction or demolition works and tell them how the work should be carried out to avoid a potential statutory noise nuisance.

The notice can specify any of the following:

•a noise level

•the plant or machinery that can be used

•the hours when work can be done

•steps that need to be taken to minimise noise

Those failing to comply with the notice can be prosecuted and fined an unlimited amount, with further fines for each day that they fail to comply.

Hi,

Thanks both for your replies.

They aren't doing anything outside of working hours, apart from a couple of mornings when they've started at 7am instead of 8am which they said they will stop.

The issue is we haven't been able to use our garden in peace for what will soon be 3 months out of a 12 month contract.

Just infuriating we weren't told and that we have taken the house based in it being perfect for work and we pay a fortune for the pleasure!

• 3 months later...

Hi

Ive posted about our issues at our property before but things have now changed, again.

We were deceived into renting a home which we'd planned on staying at for at least two years.

For the last year we've had to deal with building works on both sides of us. One being a full new house build and the other side completely renovating their house, including basement excavation and other things that have basically made our life hell. We then receive a letter from next door saying they have planning to build an extension. joy.

Both neighbour's have told us that our landlord knew about all of this. He had the house up for sale initially, but obviously wouldn't have been unable to sell it with all the building works. He has wilfully let it out to us on the basis of being able to stay as long as we like and made no mention of the building works.

We were told last week that we could extend our tenancy for another 12 months if we wanted to, but then we've had a call today to tell us the landlord actually now wants to sell and will be ok with weekly viewings HA.

Our lives have been so disrupted already that honestly we feel like being difficult about it, however I know that legally we do have to allow reasonable viewings. However its at our discretion whether we tell prospective buyers about the ongoing and now further planned building works next door. ;)

The lettings agency have said they'll find somewhere else for us, but then of course we'll have all the associated costs of re-referencing, moving costs etc.

Honestly we feel like withholding rent for the last few months by way of compensation but I don't think we can do this legally. I have read similar stories where people have been successful with the Ombudsman.

Any advice on legally where we stand with compensation for all of this!?

Thanks

Please DO NOT withhold your rent, in fact don't think about that again. If you were to do so then you will just place your landlord in a better position to get rid of you. IF it was me I would resign for another 12 months because if he does sell then you are in a great position to negotiate an early release from the agreement.

If there is no rent outstanding and/ or regular missed payments I do not believe he will be able to use Section 4 to get rid of you. If he does sell its going to be with you as sitting tenants, for the remainder of the tenancy anyway. That will give the some breathing space if he refuses to not negotiate.

1. Agree to a 12 month renewal asap

2. Agree to responsible viewings

3. Wait until he has a concrete offer (this will be when he tell you as he will have to provide a rough date to the buyer)

4. Negotiate your compensation

Of course this is just what I would do, it may not be the best advice. However no one is going to disagree with me when i say DO NOT WITH HOLD RENT

Spud

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to update this:

We asked for half rent for the remaining three months of our lease but our landlord offered to give us one month rent free in January in return for viewings and access. We also asked that we be rehomed by the agency without having to pay referencing fees again.

We were promised we could have the property for two years by the agency and only recently told we could extend the tenancy to be told a week later he was actually selling.

I cannot explain how horrific it has been having construction on one side and full house renovation project on the other. We have evidence showing our landlord knew about both.

We have gone back with our terms and now the landlord has clearly spat his dummy and revoked the month rent free in January. We hadn't paid this months rent whilst we were negotiating and from the tone of the email, it sounds like he now wants to try and evict us. I understand he can't do this until we're in arrears by 30 days, is that right?

DO NOT WITHHOLD RENT

I thought that you understood not to do that, you have just put him in a better position. You could also anger the agency, who have no obligation to do anything for you.

I am sure the experts will be along, but in the meantime, it would help if you could clearly state how long you have left on the agreement and have you missed or been late with any other rent payments.

If I was you I would be paying that rent and at least be pretending to be sorry, however, I am not an expert.

We have until 22nd December left, all other rent payments up to date. From what I can gather, he couldn't serve any kind of notice until the rent is 30 days late? Which it isn't? As long as we pay our rent for the remainder, then he can't do anything?

I don't know, that's why I'm asking the best thing to do? If we pay it, then he cant do anything right? The agency email said the offer had been revoked and they now no longer require access for viewings haha, ridiculous, so he's obviously banking on getting us out but he can't right?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The information is in the links provided. Is it a case of you are refusing to pay him or you won't?

Has he served you notice to leave of the 22nd, and very importantly, is he expecting you to leave?

The most important thing to remember is that he just can not come round and kick you out, any eviction would have to go through the court system and that could take time to get to that point, certainly after Christmas, but then think about your reference.

However, you must remember that this is not going to be a permanent solution, he will get you out. If I was him and all my ducks are in a row then I would serve you with a Section 21, 8 weeks notice and you are out.

Again you could try to frustrate that process but it would only delay and it would again damage any reference.

You have been provided with some great advice and all the information is in the links. I also notice that you have been on other forums, so I am not sure why you have not got any further.

No we're not refusing to pay him. We were negotiating on damages for the noise issues and deception. He offered a free months rent in January after we'd asked for half rent for the remainder of our tenancy. He refused that then revoked the offer of a months rent free. We haven't been served with anything at all yet. Im just trying to understand the process as there is so much conflicting information out there.

We can pay the rent today, it's a week late, so I don't think thats enough to serve a section 8 is it?

In any case, we are leaving the property, it's just how soon. We wanted to stay to the end of January as obviously don't want to have to move right before Christmas.

And you're right, there is information on the links thank you, however it says that we could be served with a section 8 with 7 14 days- 2 months notice, that's a pretty big difference, so I'm trying to understand how it works and what case he has to get us out sooner rather than later if any!

In that case, then I would today just try and negotiate with him. It is within his best interest to have someone in there until he sells, there is no point in having an empty rental.

As for the rent, no it would have to be the equivalent of 2 months for a statutory eviction and then it would have to go to court and then the court would have to give you notice.

Try to talk to him, you want to leave but not until January. He had offered a free month so see if he will put that back on the table.

There are no reasons why he can serve you a section 8 and even if he did, he could not come around and kick you out after two weeks. He would then have to court and if you did not come under any of the statutory reasons then he would have to argue his case.

To terminate a fixed term tenancy, landlords need to use one of the common mechanisms, if any of them applies:

Serve a section 21 eviction notice with a date taking effect on the last day of the fixed term and a minimum of two months between the date it is served and the date it takes effect

Serve a section 8 eviction notice if the tenant has breached the tenancy agreement (e.g. has entered into rent arrears)

Obtain a possession from the court and have the county bailiffs to enforce it upon the evicted tenants

Make use of a special “break clause” in the tenancy agreement that allows them to end the contract early

He wants you out, but to make you leave is going to cost him time, effort and money. SO it is within his best interest to come to some sort of arrangement.

NOTHING is going to happen quickly if he goes for eviction. Again, I am no expert but so I am sure you will get some more advice coming along later.

I have just taken five mins to read your posts on the other site. You have been given clear advice but you keep asking the same question.

I wish you well, however, I am out.

If I had been given clear advice, I wouldn't waste my time asking for clarity. The .gov website and the hundreds of other sites say different things. Some say he can give as little as 7 days notice, some say 2 months. Thanks for your input so far.