Council tax debt - equita bailiffs clamped Mrs car

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1940 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone

I had equita bailiffs clamp my Mrs car for my outstanding ctax bill.

She showed them her v5, insurance etc but they said they needed a receipt of purchase (which she didn't have with her at the time but has since found) to prove it was hers. They clamped the car and said they'd be back in the morning.

The police were called and allsorts.

If they don't accept the v5, insurance (in her name I'm not even a named driver), mot and the purchase receipt

can I just sit on the car and refuse to let them take it?

I'm going to be putting a complaint in anyway.

Thanks.

she is equally liable.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

well you didn't say that.

still needs paying

why has it come to this.

tell us the full story please.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

ok .. who is it Marstons?

and they

It was Equita.

They have actually secretly came back and removed the clamp without even knocking! They must have realised they were getting nothing.

Given the popularity of this forum, I would like to make point for anyone else viewing this thread in the future......under the regulations introduced in 2014, a bailiff IS permitted to seize 'jointly owned goods'. I appreciate that in your particular case, your marital situation is different to most couples but I would not like other people to think that just because a wife or husband owes a particular item that it cannot be seized because IT CAN.

• 3 weeks later...

numerous discussions posts moved to their own thread here

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?491103-Council-tax-debt-who-is-responsible-to-pay&p=5157780#post5157780

to the OP Alan the cat

please post here when you have any developments.

and they

The OP has stated his partner is not resident at the property with him so she cannot be held jointly liable for the council tax charge on the property under s6 or s9 of the LGFA 1992. If she had been resident she would have been jointly liable under s6 or s9 (except in the case of an odd situation under s9 but there's nothing to suggest that applies here). It looks like the council took all this in account and the liability order is correctly against the OP.

The above being said, the specific enforcement of the liability order by the enforcement agents is actioned separately to the legislation which lead up to the granting of the order. As can be seen in this case TACE (and it's surrounding legislation) does not always sit easily or nicely with council tax legislation.

A couple living separately may well have intertwined interest in goods sufficient to satisfy Schedule 12 but a look at each and every situation would be needed to make the determination of ownership.

I suppose the Q needs asking is if she WAS resident at the home in 2015?

alan?

and they

• 4 weeks later...
I suppose the Q needs asking is if she WAS resident at the home in 2015?

alan?

This is a little irritating DX. SS is a very knowledgeable poster, but there are others on here also. What he says is more or less what I said.

We posted to help the OP understand the legal situation, so why were these posts removed. I did not invite discussion. I think you are letting your personal feelings influence your moderation.

Someone asking for clarification does not mean the comments should be removed.

Surely it is for the poster to decide if he wants a discussion or to contribute, you run the frisk of discouraging our more clued up members, and really for no reason.

Of course , if the thread becomes argumentative something must be done, but this is an open forum, moving posts because you consider them to be too technical, is not helpful, the op can always get clarification on the thread. Besides the poster may fully understand what is being said.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Are you on the correct thread here Dodge ?

No posts have been moved or anything moderated ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Yes half a dozen windows open. I will send you some examples if you wish.

Apologies to the OP for disturbing this thread.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

No thanks that wont be necessary...just be careful in future to post your comments to the correct thread.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread