Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Nov 2007

Default Water bill is huge due to a leak. The steps to sort it out.

Hi everyone,

I moved into a rented house June 2018.
    Recently I received my first water bill, and it shows me that my average use was around 600 litres of water a day.
    So the amount to pay is 186 (for 2 months - June and July!!)!!

That is a complete nonsense - only two people live in the house, and we don't use water more, then anyone else
    - we never leave the taps open when not necessary, never take shower more than literally 3-4 minutes.

But here comes this bill...
    Thames Water acknowledges that the amount of water consumption is really unusual .
    They suggest me to contact some "Homeserve", and sent me a leak allowance form to fill.

Well, I reported the matter to the agency i'm renting the house from.
    But it looks like they are a bit reluctant to sort it out.

They didn't say "no", but more than a week passed since i reported the problem, and they still didn't arrange anything to establish if it is an external or internal leak.

Default Re: Water bill is huge due to a leak. The steps to sort it out.

do you know you have a leak?
    could it be you are paying for all the flats in the block?

is this a water meter, where is it … is it moving when you have all your water turned off?

Basic Account Holder

Last week I took the meter readings 2 times: 1st - at 22:30 pm, and the 2nd reading - at 8:00 next morning.
    2 toilet flushes and 2 washups were made in between the readings. Just look at the figures:

I passed the readings to the agency.
    But for some reason they asked my to do another test
    - turn off the main valve before going to work and then turn it on when I come back home to see if the meter readings changed..

Well, i tried to do so today morning, but then i changed my mind, as I'm not a plumber and i'm not sure what can happen if i twist and turn something in a wrong way.

Attached Images Attached Images

Basic Account Holder

Quote Originally Posted by dx100uk View Post
    do you know you have a leak?
    i suspect it. as i do not use such amount of water for sure.

could it be you are paying for all the flats in the block?
    everyone has their own meters

is this a water meter, where is it ...;
    it is a water meter outside on the pavement;

is it moving when you have all your water turned off?
    i didn't notice a movement at the moment i was taking a photo of the meter reading after I'd turned all the taps off in the house.

well keep the taps etc off and check in an hour or so
    if you have a leak it must then move
    but id expect it to be constant
    if it suddenly moves then stops again i'd suspect someone else is connected to your meter as well or you've the wrong meter
    we've known that before in flat complexes.

Basic Account Holder

it looks like 154 litres of water were used for 2 washups and 2 toilet flushes... is it normal?

no!

Contact the water Co and suggest you may have a leak. They may send an operative round with a listening tube to locate any outside leak.
    Anglian did this for a row of terraces and showed the leak was beyond my supply pipe.

Basic Account Holder

well keep the taps etc off and check in an hour or so
    if you have a leak it must then move
    ok, do you think there is a difference when to do such test - morning/afternoon/evening?

but id expect it to be constant
    if it suddenly moves then stops again i'd suspect someone else is connected to your meter as well or you've the wrong meter
    we've known that before in flat complexes.
    both neighbours' houses has their own meters outside. well, i dont know..

Quote Originally Posted by mariner51 View Post
    Contact the water Co and suggest you may have a leak. They may send an operative round with a listening tube to locate any outside leak.
    Anglian did this for a row of terraces and showed the leak was beyond my supply pipe.
    i contacted Thames Water, and they sent me the leak allowance form and suggested me to contact Homeserv(god knows what it is). So I supposed that such matters should be solved by the agency i'm renting the house from. As there's no visible leaks anywhere.

Well, today's water consumption is 167 for the period from 8:30 till 17:30. Looks like 2 people living in the house consume more than 300 litres while they are sleeping at night and working during the day far away from the house.

Good news. I've just contacted the agent to let him know about the recent readings, and he said that it is not normal, and we gonna meet up tomorrow to sort things out.

if you have a leak your side it wont matter what time of day your turn your taps off will it, the meter will still increment...think about it.....

Basic Account Holder

if you have a leak your side it wont matter what time of day your turn your taps off will it, the meter will still increment...think about it.....
    am I right to understand that if I have the leak not my side it does matter what time of the day I turn my taps off, and the meter won't increment..?

are you for real
    Of course it wont

get on to your landlord and be letting them know that it is their responsibility to sort this out and you will be billing them for every drop after the letetr was sent.
    as for turning the water mains off, righty tighty lefty loosey, just like when you turn on the tap in the kitchen sink.

as for contacting homeserve, theyare just trying to sell you their insurance disguised as an offer of help.
    Now if the meter is increasing then any leak has to be your side of i as it measures the amount of water that has passed through itt, think about it

Basic Account Holder

Thanx.
    On Tuesday a plumber from the landlord should come to locate the leak.
    I think he must have some special equipment to be able to do so, as no visible signs of a leak can be seen anywhere.

Follows
    Following

what, he can turn a stopcock off and see if there is still water coming out of your taps or waits to see if someone else starts moaning about their sudden loss of water. When he has determined if there is a suspected leak he might have some pressure testing kit but the most likely thing he will do is follow the pipes into the property and take up the floorboards to look for a swimming pool under the house

testing these simple things should be within anyones capabilities so when he turns up show an interest in what he is doing so you know what to do in the future. You would have saved yourself some money by now if you had just turned the water off at the stopcock and only put it back on when you need to run a tap or whatever. There is one on the side of the meter.

where is your washing machine? hoses commonly split on these

I doubt he will rip up floor boards without obvious signs of a leak.
    My suggestion was to first report suspected leak to Water Co, not LL
    Water Co should have access to layout of your supply connections.
    Identification of leak/liability can be easy to determine.

Basic Account Holder

Quote Originally Posted by ericsbrother View Post
    what, he can turn a stopcock off and see if there is still water coming out of your taps or waits to see if someone else starts moaning about their sudden loss of water. When he has determined if there is a suspected leak he might have some pressure testing kit but the most likely thing he will do is follow the pipes into the property and take up the floorboards to look for a swimming pool under the house
    Yesterday that plumber came, tried to find any signs of the leak, didn't find any, then left.
    He said that he would tell the agent to contact Thames Water, and they would send their man with the pressure testing kit. Well, today i'm going to call the agency and find out if they arranged that visit or not.

testing these simple things should be within anyones capabilities so when he turns up show an interest in what he is doing so you know what to do in the future. You would have saved yourself some money by now if you had just turned the water off at the stopcock and only put it back on when you need to run a tap or whatever. There is one on the side of the meter.
    I think I'm not going to pay my first bill until the issue is sorted and until i get my leak allowance from Thames Water.

where is your washing machine? hoses commonly split on these
    It is in the kitchen on the ground floor. I'm not sure about the situation with the hoses there. What if they are not split? Can it be a cause of the water loss.

Basic Account Holder

Quote Originally Posted by mariner51 View Post
    I doubt he will rip up floor boards without obvious signs of a leak.
    My suggestion was to first report suspected leak to Water Co, not LL
    Water Co should have access to layout of your supply connections.
    Identification of leak/liability can be easy to determine.
    That was what I did in the first instance. But the Thames Water redirected me to the LL.

Basic Account Holder

We agreed with the agency that i would come to their office next Monday and we would call Thames Water together.

Just now I've received a text from Thames Water, reminding me that my payment is due.. my first bill - 186 pounds for 2 months

Basic Account Holder

Updating

We didn't meet on Monday, as I came home early, and the agent was not in the office, because he thought I would come back from work later in the day. So he said he would call them on his own then. Well, since then I hear no reply from him. I sent him a text 2 days ago asking him if he had called to the water board, but still no response.

What I'm thinking to do now is to write a message to Thames Water, telling them to contact my agency and get all information about the attempted leakage location by the agency's plumber. Let them agree with the agency about sending a man from Thames Water.

What else would you write to them, if you were me? Should I tell them, that i'm not going to pay the bill until they sort the leakage issue out and recalculate the bill and issue me a leakage allowance?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast