Car repair misdiagnosed

am87
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1989 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Really hope someone can give me some advice!

Took car to garage explained front wipers only working on fast and had done some research online but not sure if problem was the wiper motor or switch?

asked to diagnose problem for me.

Garage called back next day to inform me they had checked the motor and switch and that the problem was actually the ecu.

Advised it would need to be sent away to be fixed £175 and gave me an estimate of £300ish total including labour and car back within a week.

Two weeks later after 3 phone calls for update but none given,

they inform me that ecu is back and fitted but showed no faults when tested.

Mechanic then proceeded to tell me i will need a new wiper motor as he has just looked at it and it was swimming in water!!!

Now i understand things are sometimes difficult to identify but surely if he had tested wiper motor properly in the begining we would not have proceeded to even looking ecu???

am i wrong???

what do i do now and what is reasonable to pay?

I need car fixed as use it a lot for work but dont trust them now.

I only have £500 anymore and will have to scrap plus will lose job!!

The first question to ask you is whether they are going to let you have the car back without insisting on payment for the unnecessary work.

You haven't actually been very clear about that

windscreen wipers controlled by ecu….:lol:

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks so much for the replies!

So about an hour after i posted one of the boys from garage knocks on door hands me keys and and says your cars over there! ��

Grateful may be the wrong word but happy i can get to work now.

He said nothing about payment, should i expect an invoice later even though it is in exactly the same condition as it was two weeks ago?

Also should i let them fix motor or take it elsewhere and start from scratch??

windscreen wipers controlled by ecu….:lol:

Perhaps the laughter could backfire on you DX. It depends on the definition of ECU and since the early 2000's most cars have wipers controlled by an ECU. ECU is an electronic control unit. If the OP could indicate what age and what the car is it might be possible to identify what is going on. From that it should be possible to determine if the fault lies in the BCM ( which is also an ECU) the CJB ( not an ECU) or something more basic, such as a CAN or LAN line or even with a LIN line fault which is usually linked to a connector fault.

If you think an ECU is an engine control unit then you're about 15 years out of date as this is now a PCM.

If the OP could state what age and car it is, it would be possible to guide the OP to the correct way to sort the problem and then it would be possible to determine what sort of recompense may or not be available to pursue.

Wherever possible OP's should also include DTC's recorded as this can guide the correct sort of advice.