David Lloyd Chorley cancellation

Bluerock66
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1987 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

First post so please go easy :)

I joined DL in May on a 12 month membership. Its a 32 mile round trip but was worth it.

However now my marriage has ended and Im separated.

Left with joint debts ie. big Halifax overdraft and their new charges are a killer but thats another story.

I'm been in contact with Halifax and Barclaycard as Im in a severe financial pickle.

Bottom line is I could really do with ending my DL membership to save £72pm and wonder if its possible.

I haven't cancelled the DD as Ive read that doesn't go down well with DL.

Ive not written to DL yet as I wondered if it was possible.

I don't expect for a second they would say "sure, thats fine" but I was hoping they might be a little caring.

Any advice most appreciated.

Thanks

you should offer to pay the remaining months..

but in your situation and this being a gym debt

that to be frank it will go nowhere - is the least of your worries now.

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?468338-David-Lloyd-and-ARC-Europe-demands

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Blue and welcome to CAG

I would say the separation has caused a serious change in your financial circumstances. DL will not see it this way but that's their problem.

They may insist you either owe the full years' fees or they'll say you have to pay 3 months cancellation fees if you qualify to cancel under their normal grounds (redundancy; relocation of home or workplace; illness or injury).

However, I suggest you drop the gym a written letter saying :-

Due a recent significant change in my personal circumstances, I am unable to remain a member at the gym and hereby give 30 days notice to quit.

I will allow 1 further DD to be taken after which the DD will be cancelled.

I will not discuss this matter by phone at all.

Hand it in at reception and get a staff member to sign a copy acknowledging receipt.

Keep us posted.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thanks DX and Slick. Really appreciate your thoughts.

I read many threads before posting my situation.

I'll send them a letter by recorded delivery and see how they respond. Would negotiating via email be okay or would you recommend post only?

don't waste money on recorded

all you need if free proof of posting from any PO counter

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I suggest no negotiation by email or by letter for now.

Send the short letter as I suggested and let them make the next move. DL will be uninterested in helping you and will soon leave you at the mercy of ARC Europe.

As soon as the gym or ARC apply (unlawful) admin fees, we maintain you have the right to end any agreement due to the application of such fees.

Attempts to negotiate merely encourage ARC to keep chasing you.

Edited by slick132

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Short letter sent as advised offering final 1 month DD payment.

Had email back saying they can cancel memberships early as per t&c's and asking for copies of bank letters etc.

I'll scan and send them tomorrow and see what happens.

Really appreciate the advice

no!!

they have zero legal right to see those

ignore

dx

and they

DX is right - you have no need to to send the gym any bank statements, etc.

Even if they allow you to cancel (which I doubt), they'll insist on 3 months notice and fees.

Do exactly what you said to the gym - let 1 final DD be taken and then cancel the DD mandate via your bank.

I did email them one doc which was a bank letter. Just to see if it met their criteria for early cessation of membership.

They have accepted my offer of 1 month notice and confirmed in an email that my membership will end on Nov 30th.

Thank you so much for the advice as without it I would probably have got myself in a pickle!

Hi BR,

Maybe DL are aware that they're out on their own, insisting on 3 months cancellation period.

Let's hope they will treat others as fairly in future. But make sure you cancel the DD mandate via your bank once the final fee has been paid.

Glad you have this sorted.