Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Feb 2013

Default Child tax and working tax credits question

Hi all.

Just a quick query. Iím due to leave a well paid position at my company to begin training in another position in the same company, in order to better myself, the problem is the training wage is very low for the first 11weeks then rise slightly as I progress through the training. My question is, as my previous position was well paid, I wasnít entitled to tax credits, now Iím due to begin training in approximately March time next year. If and when I declare my new salary to hmrc, will I automatically be entitled to tax credits there and then or will I have to wait until the new tax year in April? My earnings for tax year 2018 to 2019 will be over the entitlement limit by the time we get to March 2019, so I wasnít sure how it worked. Also do they take into account salary sacrifice benefits that I have taken advantage of at my company? I.e, would I declare my salary minus the salary sacrifice? Thank you very much in advance

Default Re: Child tax and working tax credits question

Depending where you live you might have to claim Universal Credit instead I would check if your area is or will be a Full Roll Out UC area when you start training.

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

Quote Originally Posted by brassnecked View Post
    Depending where you live you might have to claim Universal Credit instead I would check if your area is or will be a Full Roll Out UC area when you start training.
    Thank you for the reply. Oh okay, weíll if itís any help, I live in Ipswich Suffolk.

Ok Ipswich is a Universal Credit area since April, UC replaces several benefits including Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit.

It looks like you will have to claim UC when your income drops, you will need enough money to survive for 5 weeks before your first payment as it is paid 4 weeks in arrears.

Others will be along soon I think with further advice.

https://www.ipswich.gov.uk/content/u...al-credit-here

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

Ok Ipswich is a Universal Credit area since April, UC replaces several benefits including Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit.

It looks like you will have to claim UC when your income drops, you will need enough money to survive for 5 weeks before your first payment as it is paid 4 weeks in arrears.

Others will be along soon I think with further advice.

https://www.ipswich.gov.uk/content/u...al-credit-here
    Ah okay mate, sorry if I sound daft, but do you mean, Ipswich is a uc area as of April gone or April next year? I havenít yet got a start date as Iím awaiting a course date to be announced, but I have been trying to bank some extra cash ready for the big day. It is worrying though as I know my monthly wages wouldnít even cover my rent for the 1st 3months!! But will all be worth it in the long run!

Quote Originally Posted by Timpg View Post
    Ah okay mate, sorry if I sound daft, but do you mean, Ipswich is a uc area as of April gone or April next year? I havenít yet got a start date as Iím awaiting a course date to be announced, but I have been trying to bank some extra cash ready for the big day. It is worrying though as I know my monthly wages wouldnít even cover my rent for the 1st 3months!! But will all be worth it in the long run!
    He means that Universal Credit (UC) started in April 2018 in that part of the country and if you meet the eligibility criteria for UC, you have to claim UC and not tax credits.

Visit Gov.uk/Universal Credit and read the information.

Suggest you use a benefits calculator such as Entitledto and look at what you might receive. You might be considerably worse off for a period.

You might be refused any benefit help, if you have voluntarily taken a job with a reduced wage level.

Agree with unclebulgaria, look at Entitledto and turn2us for calcu;ations. Big fly in the UC ointment is that it has the same Sanction regime as JSA so working people can be Sanctioned and have the benefit cut or removed, say for leaving a job and taking another on less hours, not going to Work Focussed Interview with a Job Coach if you are on part time hours.

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

Quote Originally Posted by unclebulgaria67 View Post
    He means that Universal Credit (UC) started in April 2018 in that part of the country and if you meet the eligibility criteria for UC, you have to claim UC and not tax credits.

Visit Gov.uk/Universal Credit and read the information.

Suggest you use a benefits calculator such as Entitledto and look at what you might receive. You might be considerably worse off for a period.

You might be refused any benefit help, if you have voluntarily taken a job with a reduced wage level.
    Okay gotcha, you have to excuse me, iv never claimed benefits so I havenít a foggiest about what to claim etc etc.. okay then i shall look into it. In regards to volunteering a lower paid job.. yes thatís kinda what I was concerned about too. Hopefully Iíll be entitled to something, i kinda need all the help I can get lol!!

Basic Account Holder

Agree with unclebulgaria, look at Entitledto and turn2us for calcu;ations. Big fly in the UC ointment is that it has the same Sanction regime as JSA so working people can be Sanctioned and have the benefit cut or removed, say for leaving a job and taking another on less hours, not going to Work Focussed Interview with a Job Coach if you are on part time hours.
    Oh right okay! I suppose itís rather complicated in my situation, as Iím not actually starting a new job as such, rather itís a new position in the same company.

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details