Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Housing benefit

Default Re: Housing benefit

I paid CASH for the boiler and the Landlord is paying ME back with a monthly payment albeit by ME not paying the full rent. You do misunderstand the situation.

Follows
    Following

Hi

The Agreement you arranged between Yourself (Tenant) and the Landlord is exactly that it is between You and the Landlord. (Not Housing Benefit)

Housing Benefit takes into account notification from the Landlord of any change in the property.

The Landlord correctly notified the Local Authority of a 'Change in Circumstances' i.e. the Rent Reduction.

Do you have it in writing your Agreement between Yourself and the Landlord?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

How to Start Your Own Thread **CLICK HERE**

Credit Reference Agencies: Experian Equifax CallCredit noddle<<<<CRA FILE INFO IS HERE<<<<

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.
    If you wish to check my advice please seek other independent/professional sources.

Be assured that our advice and support is FREE on CAG.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Follows
    Following

No I don't misunderstand it then, the situation is still the same, the rent has been reduced and housing benefit can only be claimed on the actual rent charged and not to repay you for the boiler.

I now what people say about a reduction in rent etc, but that is not how housing benefit works.

What you should have done is left the rent at the normal amount and then gotten the landlord to make the boiler payment as a separate transaction, this would have been fine, as any checks conducting by the LA would show that the full rent was still being paid. Should they then have asked why the landlord was transferring money back to you, you could then have explained the boiler situation and as the full rent was being paid they would/should not have reduced your housing benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by stu007 View Post
    Hi

The Agreement you arranged between Yourself (Tenant) and the Landlord is exactly that it is between You and the Landlord. (Not Housing Benefit)

Housing Benefit takes into account notification from the Landlord of any change in the property.

The Landlord correctly notified the Local Authority of a 'Change in Circumstances' i.e. the Rent Reduction.

Do you have it in writing your Agreement between Yourself and the Landlord?
    Yes, I have all the paperwork.

Quote Originally Posted by tomtom256 View Post
    No I don't misunderstand it then, the situation is still the same, the rent has been reduced and housing benefit can only be claimed on the actual rent charged and not to repay you for the boiler.

I now what people say about a reduction in rent etc, but that is not how housing benefit works.

What you should have done is left the rent at the normal amount and then gotten the landlord to make the boiler payment as a separate transaction, this would have been fine, as any checks conducting by the LA would show that the full rent was still being paid. Should they then have asked why the landlord was transferring money back to you, you could then have explained the boiler situation and as the full rent was being paid they would/should not have reduced your housing benefit.
    Yes, I know how we should have done it, but this leaves us with this situation. (If we had hindsight)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2