Prison officer safety equipment rolled out - PAVA incapacitant spray

stu007
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2023 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Prison officer safety equipment rolled out - PAVA incapacitant spray

Prisons Minister announces roll-out of PAVA incapacitant spray to prison officers across the country.

-- the decision follows a successful trial by HM Prison and Probation Service (HMPPS) at 4 prisons

-- PAVA can help to de-escalate potentially violent situations, keeping staff and prisoners safe from serious harm

-- part of wider drive to protect officers and improve safety and security in prisons

Prison officers across the country will be equipped with incapacitant spray to help keep them safe and maintain order, Prisons Minister Rory Stewart announced today (9 October 2018).

READ MORE HERE: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/prison-officer-safety-equipment-rolled-out

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

A different take on the news from the BBC:

Issuing prison officers with cans of pepper spray will worsen the current "culture of conflict", a former prison governor has told BBC News.

John Podmore, who worked at high-security Belmarsh Prison in London, said there was "a real risk the pepper sprays will be turned on the officers".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45791055

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Heard him on Jeremy Vine. No wonder the rank and file have lost confidence. He says tht the PO's could have the spray taken from them whilst they patrol but this was never going to be the modus operandi.

I'm sure that Brixton prison is now a model for all other prisons after him having his hand on the tiller, and not the worst prison in the UK for creating terrorists.

Funny that the governor of a prison up north who I went to school with and worked underneath Podmore has remained silent on this, perhaps because they arent allowed to comment but perhaps because it isnt worth a comment.

I see it as like issuing tasers to the police. It is not without problems, issued sparingly and with proper training and exercise of discretion a very useful tool. Would he pop up on radio and say the police shouldnt be allowed to have it because someone might steal one? Of all the risks of its use that must come pretty low down the list