Paying off my debts. but who should I pay? Default City

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 913 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey. Newbie here..

Okay, Sorry this might be a long one as I don't want to miss anything out!

So over the 26 years ive been alive I have got myself in a pickle; default city to be honest, mostly low-level everything combined is under 8k.

I have just got a lump sum of money to pay off my debts to help recover my credit score so I can one day buy a house.

Now checking my credit score I started going through one by one going to pay them off,

I got to Lloyds and they have sold my 3 debts to two companies ( 1 is Credit Security LTD and 2 is Robbins way ),

I have had these loans outstanding for 3 years or so and they have never contacted me ( got 2 letters from credit security but nothing from robins way )

i only found this out ringing up Lloyds, the default shows up on my credit file from Lloyds and that's it.

Do I contact these people or not?

I can't remove the Default either way so what should I do?

and if I don't do anything that can happen, the amounts of these are £1525. £870.00 & £1800.

This is where my second question comes in,

my old phone contracts ( yes I was stupid ) have been sold to Lowell,

now I never ever saw them as a threatening as they would send letter after letter and that's it nothing came of it for a few years ( back from 2014 2016 2017),

stupidly when I decided to set up a DMP a year ago it classed as I made contact with them ( so resets the 6 year time frame ),

now they have now left 3 defaults on my credit file,

why is it under THEIR name and not orange etc like the Lloyds?

I paid them £50.00 today and going to call up to pay a payment plan,

I do have enough money to pay them all off today but is it worth it or just paying per month and keep some money aside? (it's 2400 altogether),

now reflecting back on that should I of paid them or just ignore them as it would have got written off?

Why have THEY put the default on my account instead of the business itself and not the other company that's taken over my Lloyds account?

Why is my Credit file showing nothing of these other debt companies, if it is not on your credit report does it really matter?

Sorry, I'm a little bit of a newbie at this!

I know when default goes on your credit file it stays there for 6 years and there is nothing I can do about that.. right?

Correct...6 years and then falls off......and in the meantime...paying anything towards it wont alter your score or improve it....just line the pockets of DCAs.

Any debt that has not had payment or acknowledgement for 6 years becomes statute barred and cannot be enforced.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

paying anyone on old phone debts is a bit pointless in a way

they cant enforce them anyway

and I expect they will be a debt up until the end of the contract term [montly payments till end of contract]

you weren't using the service anyway, !!

Ofcom have clearly stated that payments till end of contract are unfair penalty termination figure, or such words.

why don't you send everyone you are blindly paying a CCA request

[but not phone/bank account debts]

I bet you'll be surprised how many cant produce the agreement you signed?

can you list your debts please

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Ahh amazing thankyou!!! okay and in a short explanation if you don't mind...

a CCA will enable what kind of good outcome?

Also, does it matter if I have contacted them or paid or not ( not sure if they see this as you owning up to be accountable for the said debt ect.

a CCA request [where relevant] forces whomever OWNS your debt to send you within 12+2 WORKING DAYS copies of certain stuff [like a signed agreement etc] that PROVES they have the legal right to demand any payment off you [read the CCA request link and all its posts]

as for contact..

we've never seen a DCA/owner take someone to court whereby the only contact in 6yrs has been by a letter sent to them [rather than a payment]

phone conversations don't count either in case you are wondering.

with these things its always better to send a CCA request and if they fail to comply go total radio silence.

pointless negotiations and letter tennis often make matters far worse.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 4 months later...

getting my credit score back to normal but having to sort out the issues i created in the past...

, I have 4 Lowell's defaults on my credit file, issues

one from Vodaphone ( 1229.33 )

Capital One (513.08 )

Very Account ( 513.08 ) and

an unknown ( balance 252 but account balance is at 34?)

I have had ONE telephone convo with them and paid them £50 in October 2018,

didn't really understand what I was doing but the lady super pressured me into paying some money instantly, ( i then came across this website)

Some of these I had no idea about until I checked my credit file, now I understand I can send off a CCA Request, few questions...

1. if successful could the defaults be removed from my credit file or would it be simple to stop asking for money?

2. I read someone that mobile phone contracts are exempt from CCA 1974?

Also, I have heard from Lloyds when I went to go and pay them that they have now sold my debts to robbins way morecroft and credit control ltd (Lloyds account opened in 2016) ... what is the best way to respond to these people when I start receiving letters?

Any help or advice would be SUPER appreciated

Also, I want to Thank you so SO much in advance, taking your time out to help people with your knowledge!!

The original creditors defaulted the debts before or on sale

If the debts are defaulted..paying them off wont improve your score

When did you take these out?

and they

Thankyou for replying :D

So a CCA wont really do anything?

A copy and paste from credit file

Lowell

£ 513

updated 06/01/2019

Name Miss Lucie

Address Flat ***

Date of birth **

Account type Credit Card

Account number ***************147 0

Account start date 30/09/2015

Opening balance £ 518

Repayment frequency Monthly

Date of default 01/08/2017

Default balance £ 518

--

Lowell

£ 305

updated 06/01/2019

Name Miss Lucie

Address **

Date of birth **

Account type Mail Order

Account number **************9603 0

Account start date 10/07/2017

Opening balance £ 208

Date of default 17/04/2018

Default balance £ 208

--

Lowell

£ 252

updated 06/01/2019

Name Miss Lucia ( miss spelled my name )

Address***

Date of birth ***

Account type Telecommunications Supplier

Account number **************7721 0

Account start date 11/12/2016

Opening balance £ 34

Date of default 20/09/2017

Default balance £ 34

---

Lowell

£ 1,179

updated 06/01/2019

Name Miss Lucie

Address ***

Date of birth ***

Account type Telecommunications Supplier

Account number **************8434 0

Account start date 16/12/2014

Opening balance £ 1,234

Date of default 02/12/2016

Default balance £ 1,234

2 phone debts

1 card

1 catalogue

all within the last few years.

are you still at the same address they were taken out at?

shame you got sc@mmed out of £50

next time ..NEVER EVER

ring a fleecing DCA

they are NOT BAILIFFS

and have

ZERO legal powers.

are you being chased on these?

old and new threads merged

suggest you re read from post one now to refresh yourself upon the advise already given

dx

and they

I thought that maybe that post was forgotten about and wanted to give a clearer question on what i wanted to know as i got a little lost, sorry!

& not living at any of the addresses but one has been updated to my current address, and getting letters maybe by-weekly.

its all important info upon you situation.

well at the very least you must inform the owners of those debts upon where you now live in writing.

in this day and age backdoor CCJ are very common and the 1st you'll know about it is a bailiff at your door

ok they cant do anything on a consumer credit debt

but it will screw your credit for 6yrs if they do get a backdoor CCJ.

the benefit here is all the debts are owned by lowells

so sending aCCA request for the card and the cat debt will inform them of your correct address with relation to the others they hold.

typically its very difficult for them to win court cases over phone debts

as invariably the sum owed is early termination charges till the full end of contract.

and the relevant authorities have deemed such as unfair.

dx

and they

• 2 years later...

Hey, 

back again trying to sort my credit file - just a few questions,

• How can I make sure of default date I have a few debts which dont make sense date wise & I'm worried Lowell might have brought it forward ( or is that not a thing?)  I'm 99% sure I defaulted before this . attached bellow example & the payment history only goes up to the default date.  
  • Can I contact Lowell to ask some questions without penalising myself (not sure if they will refresh anything?)
  • Is the default date from when I defaulted with the original or when they bought it?

Thankyou so much in advance, I have learnt so much already!

Lowell

Currently open

£248

Current balance

OVERVIEW

Account type

Telecommunications Supplier

Status

Account number

Last updated

06 Sept 2021

Start date

11 Dec 2016

PAYMENT INFORMATION

Opening balance

£108

Repayment frequency

Monthly

Date of default

20 Dec 2018

A debt buyer cant register a default, all they do is their name replaces that of the original creditor. The oc would have registered the default on or before sale. A dca cant change that date

send the oc and śar

read all the posts in that thread carefully

and they

A dca cant change that date

Shouldn't but we see they have in the past

• Like 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Click SAR and read as advised.

oc original creditor.

We'd love a DCA to have changed it...the SAR will get you everything from the oc but you must read all the posts in its thread link .

If the default notice is dated diff to the registered date under the credit file entry it can be dealt with via the ico.

you really should be reading up using our search...CAG is self help too

and they

Why are you logging on to the DCA Lucie ?

Hey @Andyorch because i have about 5 Lowells and i have no idea who and what they are, Only thing i can see if 'retail finance' on one and others is 'Telecommunications' 'Utilities' i thought that maybe if i logged onto their portal it would tell me who its from ?  ( they are from 2016/17 so i cant remember 😬) TIA X

Edited by lucie1211
adding

Doubt it.....do they all appear on your credit files ? If not I wouldn't worry about it until Loweel try to escalate any agreement by way of a court claim.

You state you have 5 debts with Lowell have they wrote to you separately stating the type of debt and reference/agreement numbers/balance etc  ?   

• Like 1

Hey @Andyorch Yes, all 6 of them, I have moved around so much Iv lost all of the letters but do remember them coming in full force.

They also texted me today too saying i can "manage my account" online. Heres a screenshot of the top of one of the emails which give me a snapshot of (what I have but not all of them) that I got recently but it doesn't match up with the amounts on credit file.  & directly below is whats on my credit file.

Name.     Start date.      Default date  Amount 

lowell    30/09/2015    01/08/2017.   513 

lowell    11/12/2016    20/09/2017    252    

lowell    10/12/2016    20/12/2018    248        

lowell    10/06/2017    17/04/2018    305     

lowell    02/12/2016    02/12/2016    1179        

lowell    27/01/2016    15/01/2019    858

Anything after 2017 I never not paid so I dont understand the default anywhere close to now so Im going to so the sar suggested. 

Just need to know who the heck they are so thought logging in would be best idea

http://www.streamail.co.uk/content/images/3F83B8B4-F575-48F3-B328-9B308EC1191B/Lowell_Logo_RGB_Colour_AW.jpg

YOUR OUTSTANDING ACCOUNTS
ORIGINAL COMPANY NAME LOWELL REF BALANCE
Sky UK Limited 34200051 £116.96
SSE Retail 37354222 £205.86
Three Mobile 37337214 £858.31
    £
    £
    £

11/02/2021

Have you paid anything to lowell on the others pre 2017 ?  Sky do not mark your credit files so neither should Lowell.

VERY stupidly a day before I found this website I paid them £50 to something ( no idea what account she didn't say she told me i NEEDED too and i got all worried) on the 9th October 2018. before that never only ever spoken to them once and that was then! 

Normally we advise that you send a CCA request for any alleged debt once a debt has been assigned to a DCA. You cant use this for the Sky or Three or SSE accounts as they are not legislated under the the Credit Consumer Act 1974.

So that leaves you 3 more debts you said that all show on your credit files...can you get a little more detail from your files of the type of debt and then we can work out who the possible original creditor was and if you could send them a request for a copy of the agreements.

This should be your only contact with a DCA at this stage and to see if they can respond.

• Like 1