Caught using husband monthly travel card

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1845 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi to all!

I have read some very helpful advices from the similar story thread like mine.

I am wondering if anyone could ever help me as well with my situation

This Saturday, when I was about to go to London to visit my 90 year old friend ( more like my second Father).

I was so stress because I have not sleep that much for the whole week and stress out because my son who is 8 months old has been having temperature the whole week.

all set...my husband told me to take his ticket.

At first I said no but because I was rushing I just took the travel ticket in the end.

Off I go to the station rushing to catch the train.

When I got into the train the first thing I did was writing the things I have to do for the coming week.

Booking my son's GP appointment, view my son's nursery, contact my manager about my maternity leave. And everything else.

Then the inspector asked for my ticket.

I was so stupid to gave her my husband's ticket thinking it was mine.

So the inspector asked for my Ticket ID and obviously it won't match.

When she asked me about my ticket and me thinking not to put my husbands into trouble, I said that I have my own weekly travel card and that card was beside my Husband's travel card and mistakenly took his instead of mine.

But none of them was true, I just made it up because I do not know what to do and people are looking at me like a criminal.

I have been in this country for 10 years and never been in this situation.

When the inspector asked me about my reasons, I said I was on a rushed and I do not intend to take my husband's ticket.

Which is true apart from the sentence when I said I have my own travel ticket.

My husband went to the ticket office on Potters bar (GreatNorthern Railway) to ask if he could ever get his card back.

But they didn't give it back instead he paid for another £300 for his travel card.

They also asked for the reason about his ticket and all he said is that

" My wife took my travel card by mistake and by the time she was on a train the ticket inspector took the travel card".

It is indeed a mistake to take his travel card in the first place.

I have called the customer service today asking what shall I do.

But they cannot give me a straight answer.

I am applying for my license and I do not want any records just because of my stupidity.

I am so stress right now and I have no idea when the letter is coming so that i will know what to do next.

I have read some thread here with a great result and I am hoping mine would be the same.

I do not know if they will I prove to them that it is not my intention to use my husbands travel card.

It was just a bad week for me and very stressful sleepless nights because of my son.

But how would they understand my situation and what shall I do to prove them I am very sorry and it won't happen again.

Should I email them before I received the letter from them or just wait?

Please help me, I am not from this country but I have been living here for 10 years.

I have never thought of being in this situation.

Thank you in advance for those of you who would take time to read my story.

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

Thread moved to the appropriate forum...please continue to post here to your thread.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

await the letter and calm down

nothing bad will happen.

a good letter of apology and a bit of grovelling should sort this.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Pm advice is not allowed

Helps no-one bar you

which if we did that they'd be no threads here for anyone to read

No harm in you reading like threads in this forum

There are numerous examples

But await the letter...it might not come!!

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

and they

Firstly, you need to await the letter that the TOC is likely to send you, because then you will know the unique reference allocated to this report and will be certain that your response will get to the right person

I have to refer to this quote from your original message:

"all set...my husband told me to take his ticket.

At first I said no but because I was rushing I just took the travel ticket in the end."

This suggests that you were well aware that you should not use your Husband's travelcard and that it was wrong to do so.

Please don't rush into trying to force the TOC to deal with this immediately, wait to see what their letter alleges and then deal with what you know, rather than trying to guess what they believe.

Prepare some accurate notes of what happened to help your clear memory for response when you get the letter and need to respond.

It MAY be possible to negotiate an administrative settlement once your letter arrives, but it is too early to attempt to do so before you know exactly what has been reported. A further good reason not to rush is that occasionally, inspectors may lose their notes and if that happens, it is exceedingly difficult for them to bring a prosecution

Please don't worry, what has happened cannot be undone, but once you receive the letter, come back and let us knw what has been alleged by the TOC and perhaps we can help you to mitigate the effect of your actions.

• Thanks 1

hello OC nice to see you around

and they

• 4 months later...

Good evening to all! I have been very stressfull since I got caught using my husbands monthly travel ticket.

I have never been dishonest since, not even once.

Even though I have explained myself and how I regret my action.

I am now facing a court summon for my action.

I am very worried about it, I am on a process to gain my license as a registered nurse in this country and I do not know if this will caused me not to get it because of my stupidity.

I am willing to plead guilty and pay for any damage I have caused.

But by doing so would it still show in my CRB that I committed a crime?

Would it affect my dream of serving this country as a nurse?

Please help me I have no idea or knowledge on to what I am facing now.

All your response will be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Hi.

Can you tell us what you've been charged with on the court summons please? It would help if you type up exactly what they say you did wrong minus things like your name and so on.

How many times did you use the ticket and why?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

old and new threads merged.

and tell us what you have done since october about this

I suggest you re read your topic now from post 1 

and they

Hi!

Thank you for finding time to merged my posts and taking time to response.

I have waited for their letter to arrive and it did.

Last month I received a letter from them telling me that I have violated the law by travelling without a valid ticket, as well as receiving ticket with intent.

I know I am guilty with this because my husband gave me his ticket.

The letter said they will always push for the maximum penalty and that could be a criminal record, penalty of £1000, prison sentence, suspended sentence, community service and compensation cost.

I was so scared but then I responded to them with full of regret and remorse.

I told them that the ticket is not mine and I gave the ticket to the inspector because I am scared that I do not have my own. Not even thinking I am causing more trouble to myself and to my husband. I told them I am willing to cooperate and that I am willing to pay for any damage I have caused. This was my first offence, I have never been dishonest.

I really do not know what to do.

Now they sent me a Single justice procedure notice.

I have 21 days to response.

If I were to plead guilty I will get 33% reduction on any fine.

It was said on the report that I have been charged with the following offence:

That I on 6th of October 2018 upon inspection at Welwyn Garden City did receive an unused or partly used ticket, intending to use it for travelling on the railway. (My travel starts at potters bar not in Welwyn Garden city).

It also said that I either not responded to the letter or has not provided an acceptable statement of mitigation in response. But I did responded but for some reason perhaps they did not accept my apologies and remorse.

It also said to the letter that application is being made for a £135 contribution towards the costs of Govia thameslink prosecution.

Further costs may be incurred if additional documentation is required or if the matter is not resolved by a single justice.

There will also be an application for compensation of £7.60 in respect of the fare avoided.  

There is also a part saying if I were to plead guilty or the court finds me guilty, I will acquire a criminal record. 

I cannot afford a record on my name I have been working really hard to get my license and now I am facing the consequences of my stupidity.

I have choice but to plead guilty I guess?

I have no idea what to do.

Please help me.

15521740712622809564257736030260.jpg

you plead guilty and attend.

now can you post up EXACTLY what you sent as a reply to the first letter

and

what you have been charged with please

was it just 

That I on 6th of October 2018 upon inspection at Welwyn Garden City did receive an unused or partly used ticket, intending to use it for travelling on the railway.

and they

Hi! I have violated the law by travelling without a valid ticket, as well as receiving ticket with intent. I can no longer remember the details of the first letter but the letter said they will always push for the maximum penalty and that could be a criminal record, penalty of £1000, prison sentence, suspended sentence, community service. 

I attached the copy of the response I made for them. I know I should have tell them that I have my husband ticket because he gave it to me. But I am and I know that I am not allowed to use it. But I still ended up giving the ticket. I send them a letter that I know I am just making myself more deep into trouble. I wanted to tell the truth but my husband was telling me to send this rather thab what really happened. I am just scared right now for myself specially for my career. Please help me.

Screenshot_20190310-004307_Yahoo Mail.jpg

look the other pages of your upload in post 12

should tell you what you are charged with.

yes i agree sadly you need to smack the back of your husbands hand for interfering for me.

sadly due to a change in forum software at present clickable links are not working .

so that mitigation circs box needs to have something like this inserted

I apologise profusely for my actions in this case. I pride myself on my integrity and honesty and I feel shameful for my moment of very poor judgement. As the sole income earner for the family (I am a part-time working student who has a family that financially depends upon me as my father is unemployed due to his disabilities and requires my earned money to be able to live.) if this matter were to escalate further into court, it would lead me to losing my job as I am required to have a clean record, thus a criminal conviction would be devastating. 

As I am my father’s carer I genuinely thought that I could use the freedom pass to travel with. I genuinely had no knowledge that this was not allowed until one of your TFL workers informed me that it wasn’t. I am now aware that this is not the case and sincerely apologise for my naivety in this matter, it honestly was a complete shock to me. 

I am extremely sorry for what may appear to you to have been an attempt to avoid my liability, but I must stress that this was not intentional.

I wish to apologise to the member of staff concerned and to TFL, I am just so sorry for my actions and the inconvenience caused to all involved. I am happy to make immediate payment of the unpaid fare and all the reasonable costs that my actions have caused and avoid a criminal record thereby allowing me to protect my good name.

I have never been in trouble with the law in the past and I am very sorry that my misunderstanding has lead to this situation now.d.

I sincerely hope that you will accept my offer. I am now fully aware of the rules relating to the TFL freedom pass and tickets and can assure you that I will always ensure to hold a valid ticket of my own on any future journeys.

I would appreciate your consideration and I sincerely hope that you can show some leniency in this matter.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

now again sorry cant post a link

but if you scroll right up the top as far as you can go you'll see

Public transport (Trains, tubes and buses)

click that and read the **SETTLED OOC** thread of just now.

might help you

dx

• Thanks 1

and they

Thank you for taking time for me, but I couldn't quite understand what you want me to do.

Would you like me to write a new letter for them?

You said earlier to plead guilty and attend?

With your knowledge do I have a chance or any chance to get a way with criminal record?

I will be having my final practical test this year and require another CRB check and this incident would destroy everything.

I am sorry if it seems that I am very ignorant with this matter.

I would love to give you more information as I could remember but I can no longer remember so much of it. Because since then I became more and more depress and sleep deprived.

Apart from looking after my little one I am now back working night shift most of the time.

I really appreciate everyone in here, although my information are fragments you are trying to help me as much as you all could.

Thank you.

Please just enlighten me how to response to that letter they gave me apart from pleading guilty and attend the court what else should I do?

mitigating circumstances box on the court reply.

knock something up using the example above to put in their we'll check it.

the ONLY time you are guaranteed to get a record is if you plead guilty by POST

[read that court doc CAREFULLY]

pleading guilty and ATTENDING to show remorse PERSONALLY [or possibly getting an OOC by speaking to the prosecutor Before you go in]...does not mean you'll get a record.

we have seen cases that the magistrate accepts the pleas and doesn't record a criminal record.

and they