• Tweets

• I've an idea that what this is is clearing out stock of old tech panels as there have been signs of major breakthroughs in solar tech - inc what is effectively solar paint   reuters.com WWW.REUTERS.COM  
    • ROFL - says a minister of the government that lets its politicians promote their agendas unchallenged and well paid on the UK's version of Russia Today translated UK deputy PM launches global push to mask their election rigging "The UK is following Russia and China on a government minister and MP led process to get paid vast sums to put our message out to the plebs unchallenged, funded via right wing billionaires, AI from foreign states, and misuse of taxpayer money.   reuters.com WWW.REUTERS.COM  
    • Yes, but the process starts here... https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/data-protection-complaints/what-to-expect/ This involves making a complaint to GS first before approaching ICO. However, at the time of the complaint, I beleive we'd advise the complainant to ask for some compensation and take it from there. @FTMDave?? No, I meant this forum, The Consumer Action Group, where you're posting right now.😄 (We're in the slow process of rebranding as The National Consumer Service.)
    • Thank you. The npower debt was from 2019/2020 until EON took over the account late 2021. npower had set a DCA on me even though I owed them nothing. I spoke to a customer service agent, following up by email, who confirmed I was in credit . I made a complaint to head office who sent a barrage of emails, changing the amounts each time. According to them, I owed £279. The debt grew to what it is now as first npower and then EON subsequently failed to put a payment arrangement and direct debit in place to pay off this supposed sum and my ongoing bills. I was very ill with Covid, struggling in lockdown with a disabled child and informed them of all this. EON stopped their legal action when I took them to the ombudsman as this was part of my complaint and requested remedy but I have not received a notice of discontinuance.  I would like to set up my own dd to pay them off but am concerned they could still take legal action. I am on a low income and can’t afford to pay them more than a token amount each month.  And yes, they state their client is EON and that they can return the debt to EON who can either register a default or take me to court. 
    • Thank you guys! @lookinforinfo thank you for the case, it seem to similar with my case which is gold. @Nicky Boy shouldn't be ICO?   Personal data breaches: a guide ICO.ORG.UK   For CAG I found this  The Confidentiality Advisory Group (CAG) is an independent body which provides expert advice on the use of confidential patient information. This includes providing advice to us, the Health Research Authority (HRA) for research uses. It also provides advice to the Secretary of State for Health for non-research uses.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Help please - I stupidly switched the tags several times in TM Maxx

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1938 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I'm in a bit of a panic and wondering if you could advise me on a stupid error I made within the tk maxx store,

I suffer with a vet deliberating condition and find comfort and enjoyment shopping

there were a few items in TM Maxx that I loved so I stupidly switched the tags and returned different items that I already had purchased months ago and put the tags on them and returned these with the tag getting my money back,

I did this on a few occasions stupidly then got caught as they advised they had been monitoring me,

i admitted what I had done and was told I was banned from the store,

i brought the latest item I had changed the tag on back and handed it to the loss prevention people

they told me to calm down and expect a fine in the post,

since this i have received a letter from RLC demanding over 300 pounds to be paid in 21 days and have just received a telephone call from the police to say they are going to visit me as the store has put a complaint in about me and want me to write a letter of apology provided by the police,

i have no idea what to do as I'm not very ckuded up about this

do I pay RLC

do I write the apology?????

Please help

RLC you mean RLP?

if so totally ignore them.

as for the letter the police are advising

yes write it get advice from them, if that's what they are saying by 'providing' its basics etc.

go see your doctor too.

but please DO NOT RESPOND OR PAY RLP

there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING they can do to you

despite all the cleverly worded THREATS in their letter and the ones to come.

there are also various charities and support groups for Vet's

why not get involved in them too?

thread title updated

please read the PM I have sent you and respond soonest

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi there RLP yes sorry, I'm not very clouded up and not familiar with the dos and fonts as I have never been in any sort of trouble, when the police called they said no charges are going to be filed against me but tk maxx have filed a complaint about me and are asking for a letter of apology, im a bit dubious about signing anything and admitting guilt so I'm a but stuck

wont go anywhere

and you don't have to sign it

just print your name.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Ignore top totally. Write the letter the police advised you to send to the store.

You shouldn't ever communicate with top. They are leeches and have nothing to do with UK law or loss prevention

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Hi and welcome to CAG,

This is an example of how TKMaxx get it both right and wrong. Telling you that you will receive a 'fine' is total rubbish. You can safely ignore RLP as they have no power over you. They may send this matter to a debt collector and if you receive letters from them, you can ignore them too.

As the police have invited you to write the letter of apology, there may be a section where you can put the reasons for your behaviour. These are not excuses, just reasons. Do that then basically forget about RLP.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Right, the police are using what they call restorative justice to get you to apologise and by doing that make you think about your actions. This is not like stopping behind at school and writing lines, dont do it and you may well get another visit followed by a lift to the station.

However, RLP are not part of this process and you owe them nothing, ignore them completely. TKMaxx occasionally take people to court over theft but they arent going to do this in your case because they have to agree to the disposal of this matter in the way the police have stipulated. You know they have recorded all of your past transgressions so dont be ever tempted to try that again or you will find yourself in proper trouble.

The other replies here are absolutely right. Ignore RLP - I have over 10 years experience dealing with Civil Recovery and trust us when we tell you - nothing will happen, but please do prepare yourself for some quite intimidating letters. These will initially be from RLP, then they will be from a debt recovery company - just rip them up and throw them in the bin. Try not to worry about them.

With regards to the ticket swapping, most people see this or tell themselves that as they are paying (albeit not the correct amount) that it is less serious than shoplifting. The offence is actually obtaining property by deception, which although is covered by the Theft Act 1968, is actually dealt with as fraud, and is seen as more serious than actual shoplifting. Strange, I know, as the losses are usually less. So please learn from your one off mistake and be thankful that it hasn’t been dealt with in a more serious matter.

Ericsbrother is 100% correct that the police are using a disposal method called restorative justice (in some areas this is called community resolution) and the general idea is that instead of going to court, and prosecuting offenders - it gives them the opportunity to “make amends” so, for example somebody who graffiti’s somebody’s wall, instead of being prosecuted for criminal damage, will paint the wall etc. A CR in shopifiting terms is often just admitting the offence and accepting the banning order from the company. In your case, this includes an apology letter. As per the advice from others in this thread - write the letter. It’s a good offer quite frankly.

You will not have a criminal record, it will not be recorded as a conviction. However, this will be recorded on a police system called IMS (Intelligence Management System). A simple criminal record check will reveal nothing - but should you commit a similar offence again (I’m sure this won’t be the case) police checks will show that you have been dealt with by CR before, and this then will not be an available method to use most likely resulting in arrest and prosecution. Also, it should be worth nothing that if you are asked for a DBS (criminal records check) this will show nothing (assuming you have no other convictions). But some jobs require what’s called an Enhanced Disclosure. This also covers information on IMS. It’s up to the person supplying the information to decide whether the information on IMS is relevant to the role. So if you were applying for a job as a cash in transit operative, or in a bank, you will most likely find it a bit difficult.

I appreciate the last bit sounds a bit scary, but I honestly wouldn’t worry. RLP can do nothing, and provided you stay out of trouble in the future you can just move on and forget it ever happened.

Hope this helps.

LPG

Fully agree with losspreventionguy in everything said except one word. 'Mistake' From the majority of threads I have been involved with, the shoplifter makes a 'choice'. I appreciate some people have mental health conditions and any choice made would be classed as a mistake but for others, it's a choice.

Sorry if I seem a little pedantic over that word. If you really want to get up someone's nose, just say 'FINE' when it isn't and DX will have a hissy fit.:lol:

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

No, it's not pedantic at all. You are correct it was indeed a choice that, in retrospect, I hope the OP realises was a big mistake to make!

I just try to be a nice guy and give them the benefit of remorse :)

Just to add Silverfox, You give fantastic advice here (you helped me on CAG in a previous life, as I mentioned in a different thread), and I feel I maybe am encroaching slightly as the long term members here already give good sound advice, however I would like to give back by giving the (hopefully) benefit of my experience and knowledge - and unfortunately this is the only thing I am knowledgeable about!

Thanks for the warning re: DX - I will make sure that word is scrubbed from my CAG vocabulary! :lol:

Fully agree with losspreventionguy in everything said except one word. 'Mistake' From the majority of threads I have been involved with, the shoplifter makes a 'choice'. I appreciate some people have mental health conditions and any choice made would be classed as a mistake but for others, it's a choice.

Sorry if I seem a little pedantic over that word. If you really want to get up someone's nose, just say 'FINE' when it isn't and DX will have a hissy fit.:lol:

We have another member who was a loss prevention member who gave great advice. Your input on this forum will help us help others by giving a more detailed explanations as you have been involved in loss prevention and not just someone who has an interest in stopping the likes of RLP profiting on the misery of someone who has stolen.

Just because the police tend to not get involved in cases under £200 must not mean that they shouldn't be. While I know it's a pipe dream, it is my opinion that police should be the first call, not RLP

I 100% agree with you. But alas, you are correct in that at the moment at least, it is a pipe dream.

The lack of police involvement in retail crime at the moment is very concerning. In fact, a colleague of mine who works in a different area to me was told by a Sergeant "unless it's kicking off don't call us, we wont come - regardless of value" Now, you will not find anybody more supportive of our police force and the officers who put their lives on the line every day than me - but for an officer to actually state "we won't turn up" is quite frankly, disgusting and plain wrong - regardless of the offence.

Some years back, the police changed their KPI mechanism, so instead of focusing on particular crimes (usually robbery, burglary and vehicle theft) they simply went to Detected Crimes and Undetected Crimes. When I called in a shoplifter that I had arrested you wouldn't believe the amount of officers fighting and arguing over who came to the job - because a well trained, experienced LP or Store Detective would, by the time the police arrived, have written their own witness statement, burned the CCTV footage, exhibited it in evidence bags etc etc. All they needed to do was arrest the offender, go straight into interview and job done. Easy detected crime for their figures.

The 'decriminalisation' of shoplifting has been going for some time now, from the system above, we then went to on the spot fines / fixed penalties, to community resolution / restorative justice. And now, they quite frankly simply don't turn up - and when they do, they do whatever is in their power to avoid actually arresting the offender. I don't blame the officers one bit. This is mandated from way above their ranks.

There HAS to be a deterrent when it comes to ANY crime really. Retail crime is no exception. Arrest was a deterrent. Even an on the spot fine was a deterrent (albeit not a very good one). They have both gone. The only deterrent left is Civil Recovery. i.e. 'If you shoplift from us it will cost you a lot of money.' In a way I can't really blame the retailers - what else are they to do? I am in no way defending RLP here by the way - I think they are a bunch of ambulance chasing vultures.

It's only my opinion Silverfox, but unfortunately I think that far from seeing the back of RLP - I think we are going to see a major push in their direction as retailers run out of other avenues to pursue.

Sorry for the rant!

• 1 month later...
I 100% agree with you. But alas, you are correct in that at the moment at least, it is a pipe dream.

The lack of police involvement in retail crime at the moment is very concerning. In fact, a colleague of mine who works in a different area to me was told by a Sergeant "unless it's kicking off don't call us, we wont come - regardless of value" Now, you will not find anybody more supportive of our police force and the officers who put their lives on the line every day than me - but for an officer to actually state "we won't turn up" is quite frankly, disgusting and plain wrong - regardless of the offence.

Some years back, the police changed their KPI mechanism, so instead of focusing on particular crimes (usually robbery, burglary and vehicle theft) they simply went to Detected Crimes and Undetected Crimes. When I called in a shoplifter that I had arrested you wouldn't believe the amount of officers fighting and arguing over who came to the job - because a well trained, experienced LP or Store Detective would, by the time the police arrived, have written their own witness statement, burned the CCTV footage, exhibited it in evidence bags etc etc. All they needed to do was arrest the offender, go straight into interview and job done. Easy detected crime for their figures.

The 'decriminalisation' of shoplifting has been going for some time now, from the system above, we then went to on the spot fines / fixed penalties, to community resolution / restorative justice. And now, they quite frankly simply don't turn up - and when they do, they do whatever is in their power to avoid actually arresting the offender. I don't blame the officers one bit. This is mandated from way above their ranks.

There HAS to be a deterrent when it comes to ANY crime really. Retail crime is no exception. Arrest was a deterrent. Even an on the spot fine was a deterrent (albeit not a very good one). They have both gone. The only deterrent left is Civil Recovery. i.e. 'If you shoplift from us it will cost you a lot of money.' In a way I can't really blame the retailers - what else are they to do? I am in no way defending RLP here by the way - I think they are a bunch of ambulance chasing vultures.

It's only my opinion Silverfox, but unfortunately I think that far from seeing the back of RLP - I think we are going to see a major push in their direction as retailers run out of other avenues to pursue.

Sorry for the rant!

THIS - totally.

I still have fingers in pies in tk’s, friends in head office, and friends who have access to figures of losses. You’d be very lucky to get any tk’s or homesense store with less than £100k loss last year. That’s every single store in their estate. I think a few came in at under £100k but that was cancelled out by the massive losses in the London stores.

The police generally don’t care about theft offences - lpguy is right, back even 6 years ago they would be tripping over each other to come to a tk’s to collect statement, prisoner and evidence discs, and it would of all been done for them, ready to book the person in, and go straight for interview.

There’s got to be some deterrent to theft. Morally people seem to of forgotten that it’s wrong to steal.

There’s got to be a stage where we are at now, where there’s some sort of ‘out of police’ punishment for theft and fraud. Give them something to think about, so they don’t do it again.

THIS - totally.

I still have fingers in pies in tk’s, friends in head office, and friends who have access to figures of losses. You’d be very lucky to get any tk’s or homesense store with less than £100k loss last year. That’s every single store in their estate. I think a few came in at under £100k but that was cancelled out by the massive losses in the London stores.

The police generally don’t care about theft offences - lpguy is right, back even 6 years ago they would be tripping over each other to come to a tk’s to collect statement, prisoner and evidence discs, and it would of all been done for them, ready to book the person in, and go straight for interview.

There’s got to be some deterrent to theft. Morally people seem to of forgotten that it’s wrong to steal.

There’s got to be a stage where we are at now, where there’s some sort of ‘out of police’ punishment for theft and fraud. Give them something to think about, so they don’t do it again.

Totally agree with you. I still think the police should be called in every theft case. I don't really like the word 'shoplifting' as it (to me) minimises the effect. Theft, stealing are better words (IMO)

I would have no problem with imposing a small charge to thieves but this would only have a limited effect on first timers but for the hardened criminal, nothing anybody does will make any difference. I have no problem with restorative justice but I do have a major problem with companies who tag on and make unlawful demands from them for profit. RLP made a reasonable profit this year so that indicates that some people have paid up. What we don't know is how many of them were first timers or someone with mental health issues. Security staff on the front end of this should get some training to help them spot those who may have issues that may lead to stealing,

In the current financial climate and the growing use of food banks maybe we should be aware of the difficulties in society at large??