4k ready tv... notready

Paul1954
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1980 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi.

Bought an LG 55LA965W TV in May 2014, £1,499, advertised and sold as 4k UHD ready.

4k didn't arrive until Sky introduced it in August 2016.

I changed to Sky.

Their engineer said my TV didn't have the connection needed for the Sky Q box, and wasn't capable of playing 4k.

Rang Currys and told.. Nothing to do with us, ring LG.

Rang LG and told... We never sold that TV to Currys as 4k. It isn't.

That's despite LG's material/website/manual saying differently.

I got nowhere and left it.

Now, I've changed to Virgin and their top package which includes 4k progs.

Have a guess... the TV won't play 4k.

Rang Virgin and their engineer talked me through all the settings just to make sure.

Nope, the TV doesn't play their 4k.

I rang CAB.

They told me how to word a letter to Currys.

I got the reply the other day.

'... your TV is working to the specifications given at the time of purchase and can produce a 4k picture'.

Not with Sky or Virgin!

'The issue you have is the advancement in technology and the way the picture is delivered.

Whilst you are protected by certain legislation, this does not extend to the external factors affecting the way the item works therefore we are unable to accept your claim under the SOGA.'

CAB told me my next step is Court action, but I don't want to gamble my money against Currys.

I can rant and rave about the injustice of forking out a lot of money for a 4k UHD ready TV that isn't, but anyone know of any cases where Currys have been challenged and beaten on this kind of thing?

Thanks

Paul

Do you have written evidence that the supplier – Currys – claimed that it was 4K ready?

If you do then you have an excellent case and in particular if the problem is that there is a specific connector which is missing then I wouldn't worry about risking your money against Currys. Your chances of success would be much better than 90%.

Although Currys are saying that there has been new developments in the technology, I think the question to ask is that when 4K was first introduced, would your television have worked with it. From what you say the answer seems clearly to be – No.

You should be wary of Currys. The customer service is shocking. They constantly deny liability and try to deprive their customers of their statutory consumer rights.

If you want to take legal action on this then it is cheap and pretty straightforward and even if you lose, you will not have to pay Currys costs.

What is the value of this television? This means what would be the replacement value – getting a set which really will do the 4K job?

You should assemble all evidence – of Currys claims and also of LG's claims – including what their website says because this will all be extremely compelling evidence.

If you are prepared to take legal action then get ready for a fight because Currys solicitors – DSG cause trouble and will take you right to the wire but then they will probably backoff and hand you your victory. However, if they force you to go to court then in all probability – very high probability, you will win. Because this is a breach of sell by description it is entirely possible that you may be able to get the cost of a completely new television set despite the fact that you have already enjoyed the use of the one which was wrongly sold to you for two years.

You should tweet this out to all of your followers https://twitter.com/Real_CAG/status/1048952232782286849

I would suspect it will play 4K TV from a say a USB device like a penstick file or a fire TV stick or one of the other add on boxes

many of the TV's of that era could but as the std of how actual 4KTV was to be broadcast was not finalise at that time

this is where the problem lies.

if you have a fire stick

load the youtube app

search for a named 4k file [most state as much in the title of the youtude video

and see if it works.

I bet it does...

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Please do try the above advice. If it works then I'm afraid that that substantially changes the advice which I have given you above.

https://www.electronicworldtv.co.uk/55-lg-55la965w-ultra-hd-4k-freeview-hd-smart-3d-led-tv-55la965w

May require a firmware update being of that age (2014)

Cant see a problem with Virgin..it has HDMI connectivity which is all the Virgin V6 Box requires.

Although there could be a problem as below....

https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-55la965w-4k-tv-problems.1935330/

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks Andyorch for the link.

I had seen it over a year ago but forgot.

Hi MaxxPower.

That's what Currys and LG tell me.

But, is that my fault?

They sold me a 4K UHD TV which I asked at the time if it would play 4K progs when they became available.

Yes, they said.

Yesterday I found a link on the LG site saying all their 4K TV's from 2014 play 4K on Netflix.

A video explained it all.

I subscribed yesterday to a free month of Netflix and tried it.

Nope.

Rang Currys. He said, 'Netflix app on TV stopped being updated, meaning it was never added.'

I have no idea what that means.

So, I'm about to write to BBC Watchdog on their site.

They love to get lots of complaints about one item from one company.

So, if anyone feels like writing, the more the merrier!

I'll include the link to AV forums Andyorch posted.

A guy on there gives his phone number for anyone wishing to contact him.

Thanks to all.

Paul.

Have you checked your Software/Firmware is up to date as the lastest version on LG for your model is 25/01/2018

https://www.lg.com/uk/support/support-product/lg-55LA965W

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Stu007.

I haven't but I will now.

We asked Currys and LG about a software update, but they both said it was firmware that was missing.

Paul

The problem is proving what was said at the time 4 years ago, would be very difficult and not worth the risk. It plays 4k on the TV, just not via HDMI as you need. It's a tough one but I personally wouldn't risk as it's word vs word. Just chalk it down to experience.