Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Oct 2018

Default Boiler loosing pressure!!!

Hi,

the boiler installed in the flat started to loose pressure in March, we notified it to the landlord and, due to he wasn't able to explain us how to refill it, he send a builder to check it.

The builder checked the system and find that the valve under the sink to open the circuit was missing, so he used a wrench to open it, and refill the boiler. He checked his tools and said "i'm sorry i don't have a valve fits this junction, this pipe is too old. Don't worry it shouldn't happen again. If it happens again there should be a leak in the system".

We reported to the landlord underlining that the builder wasn't able to install a valve.

After about 5 months, it happened again and we reported to the landlord, this time we explained him that we are not able to refill the boiler cause this lever is missing. He send us again the same builder which rechecked the boiler, he didn't find any proof of leak, then he tried again to find a valve filling the junction, but he didn't have the right one, so he just refill the boiler using a wrench tool acting on the pipe.

After one week we received a phone callicon from the landlord that he receive a debrief from the builder and he suggest us to buy the appliance so we can top up the water by ourself and if he need to call out a builder and no work has found we have to pay for it.

I'm expecting the have a proper boiler installation with a proper valve to under the sink in case we need to refill it, is it my consideration wrong?

Should I really buy a wrench and acting to the pipe junction by myself ? What happening if I act in this way breaking the junction and put too pressure into the boiler, maybe break it?

Follows
    Following

Default Re: Boiler loosing pressure!!!

urm ..not a problem but English seems not to be your 1st language.....

I think you mean shold you have to buy 'something' yourselves to enable you to open the valve to refill the boiler if this happens again?

why not take a picture of the valve..or two or 3!!
    and wander into a hardware shop or your local plumbing/heating retailer and ask them to get one, then bill the landlord?

its only a water feed, I very much doubt by 'you' being able to fill it, you would harm it no...

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM HITTING 'REPLY WITH QUOTE' IF YOU ARE SIMPLY REPLYING TO THE LAST POST IN A THREAD..JUST TYPE!!
    it makes a thread twice as long to scroll through..save data download times and costs
    If you want advice please PM me a link to your thread. PM advice is not allowed!!
    DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following

Give us a clue what make/model of boiler is installed?
    Approx age?

Basic Account Holder

Quote Originally Posted by dx100uk View Post
    why not take a picture of the valve..or two or 3!!
    I'll do it.

and wander into a hardware shop or your local plumbing/heating retailer and ask them to get one, then bill the landlord?
    Already asked, but landlord said he follow only debrief from his builders...

From my point for view, I just need to report him any things there are not working properly in the house and wait for landlord's fix, it's not my job to suggest which kind job needs to be be done or how to fix an issue.

its only a water feed
    That's exactly what I said to the landlord, it's only a water feed, but it seems that he doesn't see any problem for a missing valve.

I very much doubt by 'you' being able to fill it, you would harm it no...
    I totally agree with you, but I need a solution, and I dont know how to proceed cause that's was his final position : no work to do, next time you need to pay for the builder.

Basic Account Holder

Quote Originally Posted by mariner51 View Post
    Give us a clue what make/model of boiler is installed?
    Worcester Model 18i System 41-311-86

It's installed with a linked external thank.

Quote Originally Posted by mariner51 View Post
    Approx age?
    Approx age is 2 years, another tenants was inside the house.

Basic Account Holder

Here's an old pic of the pipe under the sink :

unsee.cc/da738ff1/

Basic Account Holder

Cagger since : Jul 2012

Seems he's not much of a plumber then. All you need is a replacement knob. Buy a standard valve from Toolstation , Screwfix etc and just screw on the knob to the current valve.
    https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p76890. Send the LL the bill for 2 if you want.

read uploadicon to put pix up
    use PDFicon please

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM HITTING 'REPLY WITH QUOTE' IF YOU ARE SIMPLY REPLYING TO THE LAST POST IN A THREAD..JUST TYPE!!
    it makes a thread twice as long to scroll through..save data download times and costs
    If you want advice please PM me a link to your thread. PM advice is not allowed!!
    DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

Quote Originally Posted by CraigMcK View Post
    Seems he's not much of a plumber then. All you need is a replacement knob. Buy a standard valve from Toolstation , Screwfix etc and just screw on the knob to the current valve...
    Thank you

It is the landlords responsibility but if it is just the lever to the valve then go ahead and buy one and fit it yourself. If the valve then doesnt work you will need to get the landlord to do somehting that doesnt involve a general builder like call a plumber or heating engineer.

Are you talking about a combi boiler?
    If so, it shouldn't lose pressure, at least not every few months.
    It might lose half a bar in 2/3 years, but not much faster.
    If it is a combi boiler it needs to be looked at by a proper technician, not Bob from the pub who also does plumbing.

If this boiler is around two years old, is it still under guarantee?

HB

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING
    EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

Quote Originally Posted by king12345 View Post
    Are you talking about a combi boiler?
    If so, it shouldn't lose pressure, at least not every few months.
    It might lose half a bar in 2/3 years, but not much faster.
    If it is a combi boiler it needs to be looked at by a proper technician, not Bob from the pub who also does plumbing.
    I totally agree with you. However my job is just to notify any problem to the landlord and give my availability to open the door, if landlord prefers to send an unskilled plumber i'm fine, I will resend him another notification the next time, and if he send me the bill I'll open a complaint to the borough. We are talking about a valve which cost around 2 pounds...

Of course that 's all you need to do.
    But for your own safety, I would insist on a qualified technician, gas safe registered and with tech training in fixing boilers.
    A dodgy boiler exploding or releasing carbon monoxide won't harm your landlord, it would harm you.

Follows
    Following

I agree you need to make sure that anyone dealing with the Boiler (if it is GAS) is Gas Satey Registered (even if it is the pipes from that Boiler)

Gas Safety Register - INFORMATION FOR TENANTS: https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/he...n-for-tenants/

Gas Safety Register - INFORMATION FOR LANDLORDS: https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/find-an-engineer/

Gas Safety Register - CHECK THE REGISTER: https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/find-an-engineer/

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

How to Start Your Own Thread **CLICK HERE**

Credit Reference Agencies: Experian Equifax CallCredit noddle<<<<CRA FILE INFO IS HERE<<<<

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.
    If you wish to check my advice please seek other independent/professional sources.

Be assured that our advice and support is FREE on CAG.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Follows
    Following

You shouldnt be fine, it must be a gassafe registerd engineer that plays with the boiler, not some random bloke Let LL know thsi and that you will be demanding to see credentials fo said plumber/engineer. You ca look this up online anyway but your LL is taking you as a mug

Quote Originally Posted by greekGlasgowsky View Post
    I totally agree with you. However my job is just to notify any problem to the landlord and give my availability to open the door, if landlord prefers to send an unskilled plumber i'm fine, I will resend him another notification the next time, and if he send me the bill I'll open a complaint to the borough. We are talking about a valve which cost around 2 pounds...

Repressurising a boiler is something that Joe Public is allowed to do providing they are competent and understand what they need to do, otherwise boilers would not be fitted with filling loops that can be used. If unsure then expert help must be sought.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by ploddertom View Post
    Repressurising a boiler is something that Joe Public is allowed to do providing they are competent and understand what they need to do, otherwise boilers would not be fitted with filling loops that can be used. If unsure then expert help must be sought.
    The boiler is losing pressure at fast rate and it shouldn't.
    There's either a leak in the heating system or the boiler needs fixing.
    Either way Joe public shouldn't just keep refilling.
    All system needs to be looked at by a qualified technician.