nPower demanding we repay refund from 3 years ago!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1997 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

First time post here, but given the nature of what is going on I could really do with some advice.

So this all relates to a refund they gave my partner and I some 2.5 to 3 years ago.

At that point we were living in a one bedroom flat with a prepayment meter. Now, according to nPower, due to a mistake on their side (they said over charging) we were to be refunded £500.

Upon receipt of the refund letter my partner phoned nPower customer services to ensure it was genuine and it wasn't being handed out in error. We were re-assured it was genuine and that we were definitely owed the money.

Flash forward to yesterday where one of their lovely threat letters was dropped onto my doormat in our new house.

This letter stated that we owe £429 due to unpaid charges (from 2.5-3 years go!), with £7 of that being a trace charge as we hadn't provided our new address to them (we left nPower about 6 months before we moved house and went with another provider and ceased to be a customer, therefore no need to inform them of anything).

Now, according to nPower, the money they refunded was correct, however, as the money really should have gone into the pre-payment account and not the standard tariff account we have taken £500 from them and not paid for our gas and lecky which was used under the pre-payment account.

I understand the issue they are having, but I fail to see how after 3 years they can try to claim we owe this money. It is simply their error, and their mistake, and I feel a time frame of 3 years is far to long to try and be claiming money for debts we never accrued from non-payment. We have never not paid for our electricity or gas!

What should I do with this? They are now wanting to escalate it to further with the view to get the bailiffs in.

Please follow the link and read up on estoppel.

Send them an SAR under the new GDPR regulations so that you get all the documents/data that they hold on you – hopefully, including a record of the telephone conversation that you had with them to clarify that the refund was correct.

I suppose that you didn't record the call? Please read our customer services guide

Sadly they have 6yrs

But i wouldn't trust npowers billing system as far as i could kick it

They have had soooo many issues

Why not ring and record the call

Or

Send them an sar

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

DX stop lying to the OP - NPowers billing system doesnt have soooo many issues....

it has SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many issues...

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Hypothetical then - let's say I agree to repay the amount. Is there anything that states how much the minimum repayments have to be? I'm thinking of stringing it out for the same length of time it took them to get in touch with me.

The min repayment is what they agree to.

Don't play silly buggers with them, you owe the money & you can still get a CCJ in the next 3 years.

well I'm sorry, – and it's not often that I disagree with one of the site team – but in this case I do disagree.

I suggested above that you read up on estoppel – have you done that?

It seems here that Npower have made an error – they have given you an assurance either in words or by action that you are entitled to a certain sum of money. You have acted on the assurance/promise in good faith. NPower are now trying to go back on the promise. As long as you did act in good faith then these are all the elements of an estoppel and you should hope that nPower will take you to court because you should then plead an estoppel and in all likelihood judgement will be given against them.

If this does happen then we will help you.

However, I can almost guarantee you that nPower will not try to sue you for such a small sum. Instead they will harass you and make trouble for you – and then eventually give up. This is what most bullies do

As regards bailiffs, they are not entitled to instruct bailiffs until they have a court judgement against you. This would entitle you to put in an estoppel by way of a defence.

Unless you want to tell me that I have badly misunderstood the story that you have set out for us, then I have absolutely no doubt that you can run an estoppel in the event that you face a court action.

You probably have realised by now that nPower are hopeless. They are one most complained about utility companies. They have been fined huge amounts of money on more than one occasion. They rank alongside Vodafone as one of the most complained about utility/service companies.

The rules regarding back billing changed this year. More info here >>

https://www.energy-uk.org.uk/customers/energy-industry-codes/code-of-practice-for-accurate-bills.html

Put in a SAR get it all back, ask for the recorded calls as well.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.