HRMC enforcement team at my door for self assessment from 2015

Anyoldname
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2002 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. Right Kind of upsets, but here we go.

I WAS self employed. Had an accountant, etc. I gave this up in March 2015. I told my accountant, etc., and they said they'd deal with it.

I then took up full time employment with a company. HMRC sent me a letter to my name saying I owed them for tax and a late filing of returns. The bill was £1654.72. I agreed, and for the last four years or so, I'm been paying it through my PAYE. In about February this year, they said it was paid off, and my codes, etc., returned to normal.

Today, an enforcement officer arrived, demanding £9,198.66, plus saying he was going to lump on £1735 more on if I didn't pay.

An additional factor is that from March 2013-April 2018 I was in an IVA, which I paid every payment to, and was discharged in April of this year. Don't know if it's relevant or not...

Now, as far as I can tell, the following has happened...

1. My accountant didn't do the right paperwork in 2015.
  2. The HMRC have been sending "demands" or whatever you call it, to the wrong name and address.
  3. They admit I've paid (On average) £1700 per year to this debt for the last four years
  4. They don't care, they want money now...
  5. They don't care about the IVA, although they were invited to the meeting at the beginning.
  6. There is a clear discrepancy between my name and the one they're using for the enforcement.

Any advice?

Hello and welcome to CAG.

This sounds like a tough situation for you.

Have you spoken to your ex accountant, can they help?

Can you tell us more about the 'enforcement officer', where are they from please and do you have any paperwork from them?

Best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi. The letterhead says HMRC Debt Management Field Force. I've attached the letter to this post (I hope)

The Tax people I called have cancelled the last two years, but refuse to delete the previous two.

They also admit I've paid £1700 per year to the original debt (Even although the "original" debt was only £1654)

They just seem to be making their own rules up as they go along...

I'm still waiting for my accountant to get back to me.

The complicating thing is (Hope you don't mind me using the company names):

It used to be Taxassist (At Bridgwater)

My accountant retired...

The business was bought over by Tax-Shop

They closed the Bridgwater office and moved elsewhere.

All at exactly the time I was closing down my self employed status.

Thanks.

Tax Man shit.jpg

Hi AOName,

You say the tax people you called "cancelled the last 2 years .........". Can you give us more info about this including any reason they gave for the cancellation and what they actually "cancelled".

You really need to liaise with the new accountant to see if they can shine any light at all on what happened with the old accountant. Take care though as the new acc't may want fees from you for investigating older matters.

I suggest you also send a SAR to HMRC. See here for guidance on doing this - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/hmrc-subject-access-request

If the "collector" contacts you again chasing for payment, tell them you are seeking info from HMRC and they need to wait and stop making threats until HMRC clarifies what amount(s) are due, and how such amounts are made up.

Do you think you still, in fact, owe any money for these past years ?

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi.

The first point you made:

When I spoke to "them" (I think it was the self assessment team,) they cancelled this "self assessment charge and all fees relating to those," for 2017-2018 and 2016-17. They said they can't cancel anything more than two years old.

Having checked my records, I stopped being self employed in March 2015. I told my accountants, HMRC, etc.

My accountant then received a letter from HMRC about a late return. I didn't get this letter, but the accountant forwarded it to me. It was dated Feb 2015.

I subsequently got a letter from HMRC, stating I owed them money, and they said they would adjust my tax code accordingly with this new job. I paid this (And by HMRC's own records, I've been paying £1700 extra in tax per year for almost four years.) up until approximately the beginning of this year. (I still need to check my online payslips to find out exactly when my tax code changed).

Second point: I'm waiting for the "new" accountant to get in touch (It's "technically" the same lot, just name changes, moves, closures, retirements, etc.)

Third Point. I'll do a SAR now.

Overall, I do not think I owe the HMRC any money at all. I WAS in debt to them, and without having accountants check etc., I agreed that I owed them for a late filing charge in 2015. I have subsequently paid £6,800 over 4 years.

I think the underlying problem is names.

I get one set of correspondence from my real name - which states I'm up to date, paid in full, etc., but this enforcement is not even in my name.

None of those companies are involved. The letter pushed through my door is headed as:

Debt Management Field Force.

HMRC

DMB 103

BX5 5AB

I'm pretty sure the Field Force Officers are direct employees of HMRC, not a debt collecting agency, and the debt management (DMB) unit is part of HMRC itself.

I'm pretty sure the Field Force Officers are direct employees of HMRC, not a debt collecting agency, and the debt management (DMB) unit is part of HMRC itself.

Yes they will be from HMRC .

Sounds like a mistake to me, if the debt collection records are in another name.

Suggest you ask this HMRC collection team to check why they are chasing you for this debt, when the debt is in anothers persons name ? It will make them look back at the data, to see whether/when a mistake had been made.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Yeah, I've asked that question, and they simply don't care. Again, going back to my "accountant" - I think it may be from a spelling mistake on the forms they registered with the HMRC in the first place. For some reason HMRC can't seem to get their head round the mistake, and don't care that my "correct" name has paid the debt through PAYE.

Hi.

There's two separate sets of letters.

One addressed to Me (Properly) and one to this other identity.

Now, I don't want you to think it's as if they've sent letters to a Mr Smith, and another set to Mr Jones.

While trying to stay relatively anonymous on here, They've sent one set of letters to Peter Smith, and another set to Paul Smith.

And Peter is the one who has paid the debt, but they're chasing Paul.

HMRC seem incapable of figuring out their mistake, and openly agree "Peter" has paid the debt, but they're still going to break "Paul's" door and impound "Everything he owns."

I've also just gone through some of those letters, and all I can see for "Paul" is a claim for about £200 for National Insurance.

I've not found anything at all that claims thousands...