Credit card debt question, moved out of UK to my orginal EU Country

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2025 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have 2 credit cards, both with Capital One, (£1.500 and £500), which I had been paying my due fees to every month, until recently, as I moved out of the UK to my original EU country.

For the first couple of months I still continued to pay however things are not going well here and I've found myself with no money to pay the monthly fees. So I started paying £5 each month per card.

I want to continue doing so, as I think that would not make things worse for me if at least they see I want to continue paying even if it's just a small amount. I don't know if that makes any difference, but I hope it does, because right now that's what I can afford.

The problem I have is right before I left, almost six months ago, I closed both my bank accounts in the UK, as I thought it would be better to not have any open accounts.

I continued paying the £5 using a debit card from an online bank I opened when I moved here, a bank which is based in Germany. I had no problems paying, I always did it oline via their Capital One online form.

Unfortunately after a few months the online bank emailed me saying I neded to let them know whether I'm a resident in two countries or not, as they'd noticed I was making regular payments to somewhere in the UK.

I got a bit scared by this so I decided not to reply and to just never use the account or card again.

For the past couple of months I've been searching for a way to pay with another card, I've purchased a couple of prepaid debit cards which have been rejected by CapOne when attempting to pay online. I suspect it's the fact that, when asked for the address and postcode of the card, I put my old UK info and of course that doesn't match with the Spanish address I had to give to be able to register the prepaid debit card. But when I used to pay with the online bank debit card I also put the UK address and the payments went through anyway?

So my question would be, if I put my spanish address in the Cap.One online payment page, would they be able to see that I'm paying with a card with a spanish billing address?

I'm trying to avoid them knowing I moved out of the UK because I don't want them to know where I live now and have them harassing me here. They're already making phone calls to my UK mobile phone several times a day, sending multiple emails, and I suppose many letters may have arrived at my former UK address.

Thanks.

Edited by AnnaR.

DO you ever intend on moving back to the UK? If not, personally id stop paying anything.

• Confused 1

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

No, I don't intend to move back to live in the UK again. I may want to visit sometime, but never move back.

Thanks for the reply renegadeimp. So you think if I just stop paying altogether, they won't bother chasing me?

Shouldnt of kept paying.

Morally ok but totally pointless

Silly idea to worry about them knowing where you are too

• Confused 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

No, I don't intend to move back to live in the UK again. I may want to visit sometime, but never move back.

Thanks for the reply renegadeimp. So you think if I just stop paying altogether, they won't bother chasing me?

I moved abroad, no one bothered chasing me, even when I moved back they didn't bother chasing me. Every country has a separate Experian / Equifax, if you are not coming back to live in the UK,paying them is a waste of your hard earned money.

• Confused 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I can help this person but worried that it may be classed as advertising. If so please delete

Try [removed - dx] They are an open borders bank/remittance company. You may find on opening the Web page it looks American but it is a world wide service. It is authorised by the FCA in the UK

[removed - dx]

Edited by dx100uk
transferwise.com
  • Confused 1

It is advertising and you know it is. There Is no need to go to any site

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D