Been Delivered a Package intended for Someone else.***Resolved***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2021 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good morning, hope I can receive some advice on my next steps.

On Friday 28th September I received two large packages (as expected) I signed for them and as I was taking them back up to the my flat I suspected something wasn't right.

When I checked the labels noticed that one package was meant for someone else. I immediately checked online for a contact number (which turned out to be for the local depot). I rang them to explain and gave the details. I was assured that they would contact the driver and ask him to return to collect. About 4 hours later I had heard nothing so I called again and I was told that the driver was aware and would be with me once his deliveries for the day were done. No one arrived.

I left it for the weekend as I was busy and called first thing Monday morning and was told that they would contact the driver and asked if I would be in all day. As I was off work and had no plans I was. Again no driver arrived. I sent an email off and also contacted them via Twitter.

Tuesday (yesterday) I again contacted them and was told the same as Monday. I decided to try the "Contact Us" number only to be put through to another depot and be transferred to my local depot who advised me the driver on my route had finished for the day and that they would ask him to make the collection today by leaving a note in his pigeon hole.

I'm not holding out much hope on someone turning up today and need some advice as to take this up a notch.

For information the supplier of the goods are also chasing the courier as to the whereabouts of my missing package and are going to be sending a replacement out today if they have no luck. The wrong package is currently in my hall and is fairly large and bulky so I can't put it in my car and take it to the correct address or back to the depot!

Still on the lookout for buried treasure!

Any advice I give here is based on my own experiences throughout my life, career and training and should not be taken as accurate. If in doubt, speak to someone more qualified - a Solicitor, Citizens Advice to name but two possible avenues!

Not your problem.

You have told the courier in writing and sounds like you told the sender as well.

I would write one last email to both of them giving 7 days to collect.

If they don't comply, dispose or keep the goods.

Most likely they've already been refunded the money by the courier insurance.

Whilst the temptation in such a situation is to deem that the goods have been abandoned and simply dispose of them, there are statutory obligations that must be followed. Pursuant to the Torts (Interference with Goods) Act 1977 (the Act), the person in control of another person’s goods, the involuntary bailee:

If you find that you have become an involuntary bailee then in order to deal with the bailor’s goods it is necessary for you to serve the bailor with a notice. This notice must set out the following information:

1. Your name and address;

2. A description of the goods which you have control of;

3. The address where the goods are being stored;

4. State a reasonable period in which the bailor must collect their goods (i.e. 21 days);

5. State what you intend to do with the bailor’s goods should they fail to collect them within the period provided (see below); and

6. Your contact details so that the necessary arrangements can be made.

In order to serve the notice you must take reasonable steps to locate the bailor. What would be deemed as reasonable will depend upon whether you intend upon disposing of or selling the bailor’s goods.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

I emailed the sender of the package, after much Googling.

They have now managed to arrange a collection, after three phone calls from the courier to confirm the best day and the address that the collection can be made. So hopefully my hallway will be clear by the end of today.

Thanks for your help all.

Any advice I give here is based on my own experiences throughout my life, career and training and should not be taken as accurate. If in doubt, speak to someone more qualified - a Solicitor, Citizens Advice to name but two possible avenues!

Just to let you know that everything has now been resolved. Shame that I had to resort to contacting the suppliers directly rather than letting Tuffnells sort it out themselves. Thanks for your help all!

Well done...thread title amended.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread