• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

RLP/Caught in Superdrug

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1993 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone.

I am sorry to make what appears to be another one of many threads on this same topic but I would appreciate your advice all the same.

Recently my friend and I made a very stupid mistake.

We were detained for shoplifting in Superdrug.

I make no excuses for it on my end because it was incredibly stupid and risky and I know this.

We both have been having financial troubles as we’re both students.

Not an excuse of course, but I suppose we had a moment of madness.

I was found with an item worth about £8 and my friend was found with goods worth about £49.

Police were NOT called.

We were ushered into the back room by two security guards and a store worker.

No mention of CCTV evidence or anything like that was made so I’m not sure if they have any or what it would show.

We handed over our names, addresses and gave them proof of both which was NOT photocopied.

We were made to sign something, I think it was an admission of guilt (I can’t fully remember as I was not holding up too well) and acknowledgement of an exclusion notice we were given.

Then we were told we would receive a letter in the mail about fines.

We were specifically told NOT to ignore the letter else we find ourselves in court and told that if we couldn’t afford the lump sum, we could pay in instalments.

My friend asked how much to expect for her fine and was told over £200 or something in that ballpark. I was told to expect around £100, maybe more.

I know I don’t have much of a leg to stand on but that price seems incredibly steep and I can’t afford to pay that right now. I don’t have that kind of money.

I’ve seen on this forum that you frequently advise people to ignore the letters but outside of mail, what other action can they take?

Can they send people to our address (friend and I currently live together) to demand payment?

I would really like to avoid that since we live with others who have no idea this incident occurred.

How can I prevent debt collectors from turning up at our address?

When the letter comes, would it be worthwhile (or wise) to write them back?

Maybe asking them to explain how they decided on the fines and to potentially negotiate a lower price.

Will our details be kept on any kind of database or file?

The exclusion notice served to us states “details of the service of this notice are retained for use in any future court proceedings against you in respect of any subsequent offences you may commit in or on the premises or areas of members displaying a Retail Crime Operation Logo” which lead me to believe that they might.

Finally, what are the chances that they might decide to take either of our cases to civil court?

We obviously returned all the items.

The item I had was worth less than £10 and not damaged.

A security sticker was removed but other than that it wasn’t tampered with.

The items my friend took were worth just under £50, and she had tampered with the packaging of some of them, so in the security room they stressed that many of them were not in resealable condition and that it took their staff ages and loads of effort (they were gone about two minutes so I think this was a scare tactic) to figure out the costs of the goods because the tags had been removed.

I am sorry for the incredibly long rambling read but I would appreciate any help you could give me!

ETA: Just wanted to add that I have never done anything like this before and certainly never been caught committing any kind of offence. I have a clean record if that helps anything here at all.

Edited by dx100uk

Hi and welcome to CAG. Please see my responses below

I’ve seen on this forum that you frequently advise people to ignore the letters but outside of mail, what other action can they take? Can they send people to our address (friend and I currently live together) to demand payment? I would really like to avoid that since we live with others who have no idea this incident occurred. How can I prevent debt collectorslink3.gif from turning up at our address?

As far as I am aware (and I deal with lots of these cases) no one has ever received a home visit. Debt collectors won't visit either as it costs them with no guarantee of a result

When the letter comes, would it be worthwhile (or wise) to write them back? Maybe asking them to explain how they decided on the fines and to potentially negotiate a lower price.

NO! Writing to them ensures they think they have got a mug.

Will our details be kept on any kind of database or file? The exclusion notice served to us states “details of the service of this notice are retained for use in any future court proceedings against you in respect of any subsequent offences you may commit in or on the premises or areas of members displaying a Retail Crime Operation Logo” which lead me to believe that they might.

More on this issue below

Finally, what are the chances that they might decide to take either of our cases to civil court? We obviously returned all the items. The item I had was worth less than £10 and not damaged. A security sticker was removed but other than that it wasn’t tampered with. The items my friend took were worth just under £50, and she had tampered with the packaging of some of them, so in the security room they stressed that many of them were not in resealable condition and that it took their staff ages and loads of effort (they were gone about two minutes so I think this was a scare tactic) to figure out the costs of the goods because the tags had been removed.

The chances of this going to court is zero. More on that below

This database the claim they have is run by a separate company, Cireco but they are still RLP in disguise. This database is full of alleged shoplifters and cannot be used without your permission. Also, as it is alleged and not proven cases, RLP may get into trouble for releasing the information. They do claim an exemption based on the prevention and deterrence of crime and as you haven't been convicted of a crime, releasing the data 'may result' in a breach of the GDP regulations. This needs to be tested before it can be stated as fact.

In 2012, a retailer [along with RLP] took court action against two teenage girls and tried to justify the amounts claimed. They failed to prove as fact that the bill was a reasonable estimate of their costs. Since that time, no other cases have been heard which is why I can state that you have a zero chance of this going to court.

You can't stop the letters but you can ignore them. One other thing with debt collectors. IF a miracle occurred and someone actually did turn up on your doorstep, they are not allowed to disclose the reason for visiting to anyone but you. If they did, they would be in serious doo doo.

It should go without saying that you won't be making this silly choice again, will you!

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Thank you so much for the welcome and the response.

If I remember correctly, I read on here that a debt collector showed up at someone’s address. I will have another look for the thread but the person wasn’t home at the time and their mum answered the door and told the collectors that the person in question no longer lived there (if that rings a bell for anyone reading this). It was the first I’d ever heard of anything like that happening too but it was extremely worrying. Would you be able to point me to any legislation that might explain the debt collector non disclosure bit you mentioned? Or anything I could search to read more about it?

How long do they send letters for? I move out of my current address in a little less than a year. Would they have given up by then?

You are quite right. I have never even skipped tapping in and out on the underground so I’m still wondering what possessed me to think this was a good idea. Never again. Thanks again for the response!

Edited by Andyorch
Quote removed

There are a couple of other companies out there, DWF and CRS who do similar things to RLP. As I cannot recall which thread you are referring to, I would assume that it was one of these two.

RLP deal with all cases by letter. I have never heard of them ringing anyone and also not sending debt collectors. RLP have used many debt collection firms in the past. Most get paid on results and as we keep saying, debt collectors have absolutely no power over you. If, on the off chance, I am wrong and one actually turns up, you are quite within your rights to tell him to 'jog on' and refuse to talk to him/her. While I'm sure this won't happen, record the visit on a mobile phone. Debt collectors use tactics to put pressure on people to pay which can be unethical. Protecting yourself by recording the visit is always best policy.

Now, assume you have a mobile phone contract. When you ring them, they have to go through security to ensure they are talking to you and not anyone else. This is a requirement of the General Data Protection Regulations and this applies to any one who has access to your personal information. They MUST NOT disclose anything personal about you without your personal permission. If they did, he/she would be in breach of the GDPR and the company would get fined and the collector likely sacked.

All the information you could read is here along with links

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?404-Data-Protection

Having explained all that, you have no need to worry about RLP or any debt collector. They have no power-ever. If (BIG IF) any court action were to be thought of, it would be by Superdrug, not RLP and it would cost them far more than they could ever get back so they don't bother.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

No one has ever had a dca at their door on an rlp 'debt' as there is no debtt!!

Stop worrying about it all

No one can do anything at all.

Ignore

Go get on with your life without shop lifting!!

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Consider the consequences of repeating your actions, many universities and colleges throw students off their courses if they engage in criminal activity so think about who you want to hang around with and what you do if you want to stay in education.

Having said that RLP and the other companies that do the same work have nothing to do with anything so ignore them. Then ignore them some more if they continue to write. It is done and dusted so keep focused on the future and avoid such silliness again.