Lift potentially out of action for months?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1989 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The lift in our apartment block has had some sort of major failure and is out of action. The management compnay say it will be at least 2 months before work can start, so potentially 3-4 months before it's complete. In the meantime I can't get in or out, so am effectively homeless.

This delay is apparently down to the s20 procedures needed before they can even get estimates, is this true and is there no way around it? Surely they wouldn't have to do this if emergency repairs were needed to the roof, for example? Wouldn't me being homeless be an emergency?

Any suggestions anyone?

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Yes, I would say this sounds like an emergency. Who is the landlord of the building? Do you have a social worker? I would suggest that you also visit a doctor and get a written medical opinion on your situation.

Are you in or out the moment?

We're away at the moment, due home on Sunday. We only found out by accident that there was a problem with the lift - my son popped around to check on the place and found an 'out of order' sign. Since the management company know I'm a wheelchair user, I'm a bit miffed that they didn't bother to let me know there's a problem, it's apparently been out of action for a week already.

I don't have a social worker. We own the flat, it's leasehold. I'm not sure what a medical opinion would add at the moment, but if necessary I'll contact my GP for a letter.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Presumably the leaseholder/landlord will have the legal responsibility to provide access to your flat. I'm quite sure that it is going to be very long winded – but you need to get going immediately. Are there any other people in the building similarly affected? How many floors are there? How many residents are there? What floor you on?

Presumably the leaseholder/landlord will have the legal responsibility to provide access to your flat. I doubt they'll care. The management company haven't responded to my last email.

I'm quite sure that it is going to be very long winded – but you need to get going immediately. Are there any other people in the building similarly affected?No one else in a wheelchair, but a couple of families with babies in prams How many floors are there? 2How many residents are there? 13 flats What floor you on?1st floor. At a pinch, I can struggle up the stairs but there's no way to get the wheelchair up and nowhere to store it on the ground floor.

I'm planning on a lengthy stay with my Mum, at least she's in a bungalow.

RMW

Hi

Agree with king12345 the Management Company has a Duty of Care especially if they were fully aware that you are disabled and a wheelchair user.

They should be making some temporary arrangements due to the lift being out for those in your predicament.

Have a wee look at this link and download the handbook and have a read (bear in mind your Management Company is a Service Provider):

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/advice-and-guidance/equality-act-2010-handbook-advisers

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/human-rights-act/article-8-respect-your-private-and-family-life

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/human-rights-act/article-14-protection-discrimination

What I would also be asking the Management Company as no doubt you are being charged in some way for the maintenance of that lift or expecting a bill for your share of the repair of the lift):

1. When was the Lift first installed? (you want to know how old that actual lift is)

2. What is the Life Expectancy of the Lift before needing Replacement?

3. When is the Maintenance of the Lift Carried Out and When?

4. Who is the current Contracted provider of Maintenance for the Lift and when does is Expire/Contract End?

Edited by stu007

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I am effectively homeless because I can no longer get to my home.

Had I been at home when the lift failed, I wouldn't be able to get out, which is actually the better option.

I'm going to ask my husband to speak to the management company about paying for a temporary stairlift - is there one which will take me and the wheelchair? If not, the stairlift on it's own is no use.

RMW

There are wheelchair stairlifts and they do go round corners too

http://tinyurl.com/ybnhtmps

Not advertising them. Just pointing to an example

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Thanks for all the replies so far.

To our endless amazement, the Management co have got someone looking at the lift tomorrow. There's still not much hope of getting it fixed before Sunday, but at least they're doing something.

We'll keep on top of them for updates and if things drag out much beyond the middle of next week then we'll look at other options.

RMW

Hi RMW

Forgot to mention why not also consider sending the Management company a GDPR SAR specifically asking for 'All Data Held'.

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally some good news - the insurers are paying for the lift repairs in full so no consultation needed and they should be done by the end of next week.

In the meantime, we've managed to get me into the apartment and in theory at least I can go out if I absolutely have to, e.g. hospital appointment. In practice, getting out and back in again put me in bed for a couple of days so I'm not going to attempt a repeat, it's a long, long way down those stairs and it felt like twice as far getting back up. The wheels are currently padlocked to a convenient post at the bottom of the stairwell with all removable parts safely stored in the apartment. At least it's raining so I wouldn't want to go out.

RMW

• 3 weeks later...

So the lift is now back in operation and I can come and go as I please. However, the prospect of this happening again is not something I want to think about - it was bad enough being stuck inside for 10 days, had it actually taken 3 months minimum to get the lift back in operation I'd have had no choice but to move out temporarily.

There must be something that could be done to bypass or shorten the time needed to get repairs done in these sort of circumstances - I can't imagine that we'd have to, for example, suffer a leaking roof for months. Does anyone have any ideas?

RMW

Buy your own freehold is the answer.

Unfortunately it's not something that everyone can do.

Sorry to be blunt, but management companies, housing associations and councils don't give a toss about you or anyone else.

What they care about is how much money they can squeeze out of you, directly or indirectly.

As you have mobility problems, try to move to a ground floor property, one way or another.

If you make enough noise and become a nuisance for the power to be (See above), eventually they'll come your way just to get rid of you.

Move to a bungalow.

If you dont like it you have the choice to live elsewhere

For quite a few people this is not an option. If they own the property but are restricted in finances, the costs of a move can be an insurmountable problem. Unless one has a sizable income, getting a loan (either bridging or mortgage) to buy a new property is not an option. So one has to sell first and hope that a suitable and affordable property is available once the funds are in the bank. But estate agent fees, legal expenses, and the cost of moving are all going to eat in to any equity that was released.

With that in mind, comments along the lines of "live elsewhere" are not helpful and could even be offensive to the original poster.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

As this is all to do with the 'LIFT' if I was in your position I would be asking for clarification of the following:

1. When was the present Lift Installed?

2. What is the Life Expectancy of the Present Lift Installed?

3. What is the Maintenance Schedule/Routine for the Present Lift Installed?

4. Who are the Contractors that carryout the Maintenance for the Present Lift Installed?

5. What provisions are in place for those under the Equality Act if the Lift Breaks Down/is unusable at the Property? (i.e. what Risk Assessment has been carried out)

6. What provision are in place for Spare Parts for that Lift during it's Life Expectancy?

Move to a bungalow.

If you dont like it you have the choice to live elsewhere

Not everyone can move home whenever they feel like it, and if we could afford a bungalow, we'd already have one.

RMW

Buy your own freehold is the answer.

Unfortunately it's not something that everyone can do.

Sorry to be blunt, but management companies, housing associations and councils don't give a toss about you or anyone else.

What they care about is how much money they can squeeze out of you, directly or indirectly.

As you have mobility problems, try to move to a ground floor property, one way or another.

If you make enough noise and become a nuisance for the power to be (See above), eventually they'll come your way just to get rid of you.

We have already looked at all options for moving, it's simply not possible. The only ground floor flats in this area which are big enough for our needs are a lot more money than we'd get for our current flat, plus we've already paid for a lot of adaptions (and would have to pay to have some of them removed, it was a condition of them being installed in the first place). We estimate it would cost at least £100K to move at all, and to move to a bungalow would be at least twice that.

RMW

For quite a few people this is not an option. If they own the property but are restricted in finances, the costs of a move can be an insurmountable problem. Unless one has a sizable income, getting a loan (either bridging or mortgage) to buy a new property is not an option. So one has to sell first and hope that a suitable and affordable property is available once the funds are in the bank. But estate agent fees, legal expenses, and the cost of moving are all going to eat in to any equity that was released.

With that in mind, comments along the lines of "live elsewhere" are not helpful and could even be offensive to the original poster.

Thanks. As you say, we can't afford to move and it's also not helpful to assume we haven't already looked into that possibility.

RMW

As this is all to do with the 'LIFT' if I was in your position I would be asking for clarification of the following:

1. When was the present Lift Installed?

2. What is the Life Expectancy of the Present Lift Installed?

3. What is the Maintenance Schedule/Routine for the Present Lift Installed?

4. Who are the Contractors that carryout the Maintenance for the Present Lift Installed?

5. What provisions are in place for those under the Equality Act if the Lift Breaks Down/is unusable at the Property? (i.e. what Risk Assessment has been carried out)

6. What provision are in place for Spare Parts for that Lift during it's Life Expectancy?

We have answers to most of these questions.

Do you know if there is any way of circumventing the consultation process if emergency repairs are needed?

RMW

Not too sure how you could circumvent the consultation process

The purpose of would be because the lease holders would ultimately bear the cost of expensive repair bills

If the management company decided to replace the roof and it cost £50,000 i think you would want to be consulted on that, And not just face a big bill

And i doubt the other residents would want to miss on a consultation for the sake of one resident

Hi RMW

Is the Consultation specifically on 'Emergency Repairs' only or the Recent Repair to Fix the Lift and exactly what are they asking?