Keytek Locksmiths BoC?

ionfly
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2005 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We contacted 'Keytek' after locking ourselves out of the house. As Keytek were the only people who guaranteed to be out within the hour, we agreed via verbal contract to the following: “We have no call out charge it’s a labour rate which is payable by the hour or any part of the hour at £107 plus parts if needed plus Vat”.

At the time the call was made, with a 2yr old in tow we had assumed that 'by the hour or any part per hour' meant the charge would be broken down into parts per hour. We were surprised to be billed £116 for 30 seconds work.

While we appreciate the skilled nature of locksmiths work, we were left feeling as if we'd been taken advantage of. Others on Trustpilot and Feefo feel the same. Whilst we do appreciate now the terminology "payable by the hour or any part of the hour at £107 plus parts if needed plus Vat”, this is less clear over the phone and we feel is misleading and it could amount to breach of contract to charge the full hour for a part of the hour.

What are your thoughts?

I'm sorry to say but I agree with their interpretation of their pricing scheme and I suspect that most people you speak to would do as well. I know it seems like a lot of money for a very small amount of time but you're not only buying the time but also their expertise as well as the cost saving of having to break down your door and then replace or repair the door plus a new lock.

It's probably no great comfort to you.

Although this is about closing the stable door after the horse has gone, I always make a point of keeping a spare key with a neighbour or with a local shop that knows me well and which I trust. You could also consider burying a key outside somewhere.

II know it seems like a lot of money for a very small amount of time but you're not only buying the time but also their expertise

Reminds me of the story (probably apocryphal) of the bloke who's boiler breaks down in the middle of winter, freezing cold, no hot water. Calls out plumber. Plumber presses a button, boiler starts, everything fixed, only there one minute. Bill is £100. Bloke is outraged and demands an itemised bill.

Plumbers gives him this itemised bill:

(1) For pressing button on boiler: ……………….…...…….£1

(2) For knowing which button to press: ………………..£99

We had a keysafe for my mother - that worked well.

HB

I wouldn't trust them, I'm no locksmith but I tapped open the one on the Mil's house (new house she didn't know the code and dint want old owner coming back inside) after 30 seconds of watching a YouTube how to

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Keytek, ERG and others are simply agencies who farm out their jobs to local locksmiths.

They take card details up-front ready to charge as soon as the job is done but charge twice what you might pay a local firm for the same work.

Any locksmith will charge an hour's fee to attend whether the job takes 2 minutes or 52 minutes.

Adverts that list a whole range of phone numbers, each supposed to be "local", will often be an agency. Look for a company with a genuine local address and always ask first what will be charged.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)