AN OLD SHOPLIFTING INCIDENT AND RESIDENCY

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 325 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please accept my apologies if this is not the right forum.

I have read a few threads before posting but I would like to check according to my situation.

I have been caught shoplifting a £19 pounds make up item at tkmax.

Security stopped me at the entrance and took me into a room with 2 men and one lady.

They said they recorded me shoplifting and asked me if I admitted it. I said yes.

They asked me an identification and took my details and address.

I offered to pay the item and they refused.

They said that it was an offence and I could get arrested for that, so I thought the police would be coming.

They asked me to sign an admission of guilt which I did.

I asked to see the cctv record and they denied it.

They said they are not authorised to do that.

They said I would get a letter with a fine.

My questions are:

Could you please let me know the consequences of this?

Do I need to pay whatever amount they asked me to pay? as they did not show me the record I don't know what they can claim for.

I am worried about any negative consequences, they said this is not making a criminal record but I worry that my name will appear somewhere.

Finally, I am European,

I have been in the UK for 8 years and have no Criminal records.

Can this affect my future permanent residence ?

I know it's wrong and I am not trying to excuse myself, but I would like to get some advice as I am quite worried at the moment.

Very Many thanks for your help.

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

moved to RLP forum.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

My questions are:

Could you please let me know the consequences of this?

Do I need to pay whatever amount they asked me to pay? as they did not show me the record I don't know what they can claim for.

I am worried about any negative consequences, they said this is not making a criminal record but I worry that my name will appear somewhere. - cant happen

Finally, I am European,

I have been in the UK for 8 years and have no Criminal records.

Can this affect my future permanent residence ? - nope

lastly they didn't I hope use the word FINE as they cant fine you.

you'll get scary letters from an organisation called RLP which you TOTALLY IGNORE.

if you look in this forum on the homepage you'll find 100's of threads just like yours

nothing ever came about on any of them.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi and welcome to CAG

DX has laid out exactly what the consequences will be (nothing) but I will go into a bit more detail.

RLP have (or state they have) a database of offenders. This is run by a separate company called Cireco. This database is full of 'alleged' shoplifters as none of the names have been taken to court for the costs they demand.

The ONLY time your name would appear in any official database is when the police became involved. They didn't. No name on the database. Simple as that. If ever you needed a visa to remain in the UK, should the form ask if you have a criminal record, you can truthfully state NO!.

Some security guards have very limited knowledge (if any at all) of civil law. This 'Fine' is nothing of the sort. You will get a demand from RLP for a contribution to their next holiday. You do not need to-ever. RLP can do nothing to you and if the pass the case on to a debt collector, they have even less power than RLP so the best policy is to ignore everything from RLP. There have been no court cases in the last 6 years so if they thought that they had a case, why not go for it?

On a final note. People may look at these threads and think we are helping shoplifters. That is way off mark. What we are trying to do is stop these companies chasing people for invoices that have no case in reality and although we help you, we still think that the best people to deal with store theft is the police.

Don't be so stupid in the future as then you will make us look silly for offering our time to help

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Many thanks for your help.

I forgot to say that they made me sign a paper.

It is a 12 months banning notice where it says I was detained by theft.

They said they had me on camera and in the stress of the moment with 3 people in the room, I signed.

I was scared if i didn't sign they would call the police, as they said i could be arrested.

Does this change anything?

And yes they used the word FINE.several times.

I understand you are not supporting shoplifting.

Thank you so much again

makes no odds

ignore

and they

Agree with DX again.

It may be a ploy that some security guards use the word 'fine' to misleadingly imply that it is a statutory penalty. Nothing of the sort. A 12 month ban is nothing to worry about either. Just stay away.

When you get the letters, read them two or three time so that you understand that any threats made on them are nothing of the sort. I particularly like it when a debt collector sends a letter stating that they are chasing an 'undisputed charge'. DUH! If it wasn't disputed, why would they have the case?

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

• 8 months later...

Good morning.

I was trying to post a comment in my previous post of September 2018, but I can't find how to do that.

I was caught shoplifting at tkmax a 12 pound item.

No police was involved, I was taken to security and I had a 12 months' ban from the store and some RLP letters which I ignored as I was advised.

My worry now is that I am starting a new Job for what a DBS has been requested. ( i never had a similar issue in the past, nor a DBS check requested, but,,)

I know you already mentioned that if police was not involved that would never show up in a DBS check.

However I am panicking a bit and as you know DBS takes a while to come back, and I am starting to panic. It is a charity related to children, although I think they have requested an standard DBS.

Could you please confirm that if police was not called, that incident will not show up in my DBS check?

Thank you very much for your patience. I had never been involved in a similar incident before, nor I am planning to do so, but I am quite anxious about this. 

I learnt my lesson though.

Many thanks again

Justmeac

There is see no reason why any information relating to this incident should be revealed to anyone.

You sound as if you had a real fright and so that much was probably deserved. I hope you get the new position you are applying for and you show a great example to the kids who will look up to you.

Good luck

Yes, absolutely deserved, you are right. I won't cross my mind again, be sure about that.

I won't be working directly with children by any means but in an admin post.

Thank you very much for reassuring.

All the best

• 3 years later...

Hello

In 2018 I was stopped at a shop for an unpaid item under £20. It was a scary moment with security and it took me some time to move past that and is still haunting me. Police were never called but I did get the RPL letters.

I am now applying for my citizenship and it concerns me that this might come up somehow. I had DBS checks done after 2018 and it was always ok, but I am concerned about the checks for my application.

Can anyone tell me if this might come up at any point?

Could this compromise my citizenship?

I have  been here for 13 years, I pay my taxes and I am involved with my community.

This is the only concern I have.

MANY MANY THANKS FOR YOUR TIME

ive merged your existing thread from 2019 where you already asked this question.

and that has your previous 2018 thread, where again you asked the same question.

nothing has changed nor can it .

time you forgot about this non incident and get on with your life..

its now 5yrs and you are still fretting about the same thing.....move on!!

dx

and they

• 3 weeks later...