Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Site Team silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961's Avatar

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Oct 2008

Default Re: Have not heard anything in over 3 months: Caught 1st time shoplifting at Tesco

In this country, nobody is allowed to profit from a civil recovery claim so the losses actually incurred can be chased, not any amount stated by RLPicon.

Since 2012 no store has taken any action against shoplifters after 'The Oxford Case' concluded that the amounts claimed were not actual losses. The case is HERE

So, no need to worry about any civil recovery letter. The police will not get involved after this length of time.

Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.
    ProgLog Novitiate

Cagger since : Sep 2018

Default Re: Have not heard anything in over 3 months: Caught 1st time shoplifting at Tesco

Thank you silverfox, my apologies but my license actually says my apartment and the number for it, but the building and NOT the building number. However, the post code is shared with every apartment in this building though so as confusing as it is, can still be checked to match my flat. Seems like the confusion possibly had the postman sending it in someone else's mail.

Funnily enough, the letter I sent to head office they actually wrote back and was the only letter I recieved, had the full address details and my phone and email.

Site Team silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961 Highly authoritative silverfox1961's Avatar

I know what you mean about postcodes. Where I live there is 20 properties all sharing the same postcode.

The letter you sent to head office had your correct details on it so it's no wonder you got a reply.

Even if the letters are being misdirected, that's not your problem as no court case will come of it.

I would carry on being blithely ignorant of any contact .

Basic Account Holder
    ProgLog Novitiate

Cagger since : Sep 2018

The only thing is that as previously stated, if they took other action involving police, they've left it too late by now so it's nothing to worry about, but what if they had done shortly after I was caught but I didn't get the mail? But I am sure if that's the case they would have tried to contact me again through another method rather than sending more mail and leaving it this long

If the police were involved, they would have sent you a letter 'inviting' you down to the local nick for a 'chat' If they got no response then they would have made a personal visit. There is also the fact of police resources and that means that a lot of forces will not get involved with shoplifting cases where the value is less than £200. With the police, they have a short time in which to lay charges (I think about six months) so if they were going to get involved they would have done so by now.

As far as I am aware, Tesco (and many other stores) do not get the police involved as it is a waste of their time which is why they go the civil recovery route instead. Here on CAGicon, we only see a minority of cases where the other ones missed will have paid up to avoid action. We haven't been able to put them right. All you need to do is read other threads and see how many times the police were involved. I guarantee it's very few.

Basic Account Holder
    Losspreventionguy Novitiate

Cagger since : Oct 2018

This one is very simple. They cannot issue civil recovery against you because you paid for the goods you had taken. If you read back in this forum you will notice that when people are detained for theft, and they offer to pay for the goods they are refused - this is because they cannot issue civil recovery against them if they do. So you wonít hear from RLPicon at all. If they try to even contact RLPicon regarding this case, it is one of the first questions that is asked by RLP, before even the name of the offender - Did the offender pay for the items? If the answer is yes, it isnít even continued. So donít worry about that.

The same goes for the police. Once you made payment, as far as the police are concerned - the matter is dealt with. They wonít touch it with a barge pole. There was no crime, only an Ďincidentí that was dealt with between the interested parties.

Regarding past offences, there is no chance. Quite simply - for a start CCTV images are only retained for a maximum of 31 days. And even if there was something to find in the last 31 days, they would have to watch days of footage to find the few seconds you were at the self scan. They would have to pay somebody £8-9 an hour, for a few days to sit and watch to try to find evidence of a theft of a couple of pounds. Spending hundreds of pounds. It just wonít happen.

Learn from your mistake, put it out of your mind and move on my friend.

LPG

Quote Originally Posted by Losspreventionguy View Post
    This one is very simple. They cannot issue civil recovery against you because you paid for the goods you had taken. If you read back in this forum you will notice that when people are detained for theft, and they offer to pay for the goods they are refused - this is because they cannot issue civil recovery against them if they do. So you won’t hear from RLPicon at all. If they try to even contact RLPicon regarding this case, it is one of the first questions that is asked by RLP, before even the name of the offender - Did the offender pay for the items? If the answer is yes, it isn’t even continued. So don’t worry about that.

The same goes for the police. Once you made payment, as far as the police are concerned - the matter is dealt with. They won’t touch it with a barge pole. There was no crime, only an ‘incident’ that was dealt with between the interested parties.

Regarding past offences, there is no chance. Quite simply - for a start CCTV images are only retained for a maximum of 31 days. And even if there was something to find in the last 31 days, they would have to watch days of footage to find the few seconds you were at the self scan. They would have to pay somebody £8-9 an hour, for a few days to sit and watch to try to find evidence of a theft of a couple of pounds. Spending hundreds of pounds. It just won’t happen.

Learn from your mistake, put it out of your mind and move on my friend.

LPG
    Hi and welcome to CAGicon.

Whilst this is true that no action can be taken, this does not stop the likes of RPL getting involved. They prey on the consumers lack of knowledge to obtain *cough* 'redress' *cough* for their acts. I have seen some threads on CAGicon where an 'alleged' shoplifter has paid for the goods after being caught and then been chased for security costs.

RLP like to claim that each event costs the retailer between £300 and £500 per incident and that the sum demanded is a contributionicon to the stores losses. This can never be true as RLP take a cut first before sending the remainder on to the store.

I could trawl this forum to find the relevant threads but I really can't be ar**d

Basic Account Holder

Hi Silverfox, and thank you for the welcome.

Whilst I agree that RLPicon do indeed prey on the worry of consumers or attempt to intimidate them into coughing up, I can only refer to my own experience, in that I have been serving Civil Recovery on people for close to 15 years (please don't judge me!).

You have to telephone RLPicon to report the incident (although they have now do online reporting too), and before you get into the particulars of the offender, or incident, they ask a couple of questions, such as
    "is the offender under 16 or over 65?" and
    "did the offender pay for the goods at any time?"

If the answer to any of the prerequisite questions is Yes, then they end the submission there and then.

Whilst of course I am not doubting you - I'm wondering how they fell through the cracks?

Perhaps they were very old cases, or the person reporting it neglected to mention to RLP that the offender paid for the goods? Who knows.

Follows
    Following

Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

Cagger since : Dec 2006

So sign up to RLPicon must be a company wide global contract agreed at headoffice level for all stores, and you have to obey that eddit? And use RLPicon?

Always puzzled me how these stores get involved with rlp in the offset?

Basic Account Holder

Hi DX,

Quite frankly, yes.

Companies decide at head office level who to use, usually RLPicon as they are the most prominent, and procedures are in place that state that, provided the offender meets the referral criteria - Civil Recovery must be served upon them (It's actually a simple mass photocopied A4 piece of paper that you just give to the detained person). Failure to do so can result in disciplinary action against the Loss Prevention Officer / Store Detective etc. There is one company in particular that analyse their Civil Recovery referral rate VS arrests and are very aggressive in their pursuit of it, analysing the submitted arrests and if they see no reason as to why certain arrests weren't referred to RLPicon then their Loss Prevention are brought into an interview to explain why.

Quote Originally Posted by dx100uk View Post
    So sign up to rlp must be a company wide global contract agreed at headoffice level for all stores, and you have to obey that eddit? And use rlp?

Always puzzled me how these stores get involved with rlp in the offset?

Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

arrests?

surely its not an arrest is it?

Basic Account Holder

Well, yes.

If you detain somebody for an offence you are effecting an arrest.

arrests?

surely its not an arrest is it?

and are staff allowed too arrest people?,

I know they can detain and take elsewhere to question and I know anyone can make a 'citizens' arrest' ,
    but as to reading theirr ights etc, I thought that that is the only time an arrest could be made[after you are read your rights] and only by a policed officer etc?

Basic Account Holder

You are mostly right. The powers of arrest that Loss Prevention staff have are exactly the same powers as you have to detain somebody who has broken into your car, for example. These powers are granted to us under the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984.

It is sometimes called a 'citizen's arrest.'

We don't really 'read their rights' in this country. For an arrest to be legal, you have to identify yourself and inform the offender what they are being arrested for as soon as reasonably practicable. This goes for both Police and private citizens. The police then caution the arrested person "you do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defence etc etc" Now, best practice in most companies (including the one I work for now) is that LP caution the offender before engaging in conversation with them. I personally steer clear of doing this if I can help it as it can very quickly turn a calm cordial situation into a fraught one as you sound very much like a 'wannabe copper.'

I prefer the term 'detain' to 'arrest' for the very reason above - decent Loss Prevention teams are often tarred with the same brush as the 'wannabe coppers' but in reality, to pinch a few words from the legal definition of an arrest - you are depriving somebody of their liberty in order that they answer a criminal charge, so by detaining somebody for an offence, you are in fact arresting them.

and are staff allowed too arrest people?,

I know they can detain and take elsewhere to question and I know anyone can make a 'citizens' arrest' ,
    but as to reading theirr ights etc, I thought that that is the only time an arrest could be made[after you are read your rights] and only by a policed officer etc?

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details