Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.
    LongHairedLily Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Apr 2010

Default Employer asked for NI and Birth Cert.?

Hi,

I've been working for a large plc group in retail for almost 3 years next month. Today my Assistant Manager asked I bring in my Passport/NI Card and Birth Cert. I asked why as I provided these when I joined, and as nothing has changed since then I was puzzled. I said they are on my personnel file as they were copied. Any ideas if I should be alarmed??

Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

Cagger since : Dec 2006

I believe there are new rules that have come in recently that require this to be done?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS
    Click Here To Make A Donation
    If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread
    my views are my own...seek legal advice if necessary
    NEVER EVER - act on a private message asking you to visit another website, make contact 'off list' or by phone alert the siteteam
    DX RIP Martin3030
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    LongHairedLily Novitiate

Cagger since : Apr 2010

Is this because of the impending Brexit?

Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

Cagger since : Dec 2006

no if I remember rightly came in late last year
    right to work act or something.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS
    Click Here To Make A Donation
    my views are my own...seek legal advice if necessary
    NEVER EVER - act on a private message asking you to visit another website, make contact 'off list' or by phone alert the siteteam
    DX RIP Martin3030
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    Ethel Street Authoritative Ethel Street Authoritative Ethel Street Authoritative Ethel Street Authoritative Ethel Street Authoritative Ethel Street Authoritative Ethel Street Authoritative Ethel Street Authoritative Ethel Street Authoritative

Cagger since : Mar 2011

Is it just you that has been asked this or all employees?

If just you most likely explanation is that for some reason they forgot to keep of copy of those documents when you started work, or somehow HR department can't find them. The law requires employers to keep copies of the documents showing you have a right to work in the UK. They must keep them for the whole time you are employed (and for, I think, 2 years after you stop being employed). If they don't have a copy on file the employer could be prosecuted. So HR audit their files from time to time and if, for whatever reason, they find there is no copy on file they'll ask the employee to bring it in again.

It might be something else, but that's my guess. I wouldn't think it's anything to worry about - assuming you do have right to work in UK - so just do as asked. I doubt Brexit has anything to do with it.

Site Team The Consumer Action Group Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch's Avatar

Cagger since : Sep 2007

Default Re: Employer asked for NI and Birth Cert.?

Thread title amended.

Andy

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING
    EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Follows
    Following

Site Team Sidewinder Authoritative Sidewinder Authoritative Sidewinder Authoritative Sidewinder Authoritative Sidewinder Authoritative Sidewinder Authoritative Sidewinder Authoritative Sidewinder Authoritative Sidewinder Authoritative Sidewinder Authoritative Sidewinder Authoritative Sidewinder's Avatar

Cagger since : Jan 2007

The employer will probably either not have correctly stored copies of your documents originally (or may not have recorded the date on which the check was made), or they are renewing records following a GDPRicon audit. There is no legal obligation for an employer to check and retain proof of right to work, but if they do so, then there would be a defence should it later be discovered that an employee was working without the necessary rights to work. They are probably looking to tighten up policies so that your data is retained correctly and with your consent and understanding of why these documents are held on file, and they have the necessary details on file stating that checks were made of the original documents and relevant dates when those checks were conducted

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING
    EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS
    DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    Sangie595 Highly informative Sangie595 Highly informative Sangie595 Highly informative Sangie595 Highly informative Sangie595 Highly informative Sangie595 Highly informative Sangie595 Highly informative

Cagger since : Nov 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    The employer will probably either not have correctly stored copies of your documents originally (or may not have recorded the date on which the check was made), or they are renewing records following a GDPRicon audit. There is no legal obligation for an employer to check and retain proof of right to work, but if they do so, then there would be a defence should it later be discovered that an employee was working without the necessary rights to work. They are probably looking to tighten up policies so that your data is retained correctly and with your consent and understanding of why these documents are held on file, and they have the necessary details on file stating that checks were made of the original documents and relevant dates when those checks were conducted
    Actually, yes there is an obligation for an employer to check the right to work and retain documents. They must check and copy the provided documents, and must keep them for two years after the employee leaves.

Basic Account Holder
    colin11 Informative colin11 Informative colin11 Informative colin11 Informative colin11's Avatar

Cagger since : Mar 2014

I had to Bring my passport to work last year to show i had a right to work in the UK

I have been working for the company for 30 years

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    Ethel Street Authoritative Ethel Street Authoritative Ethel Street Authoritative Ethel Street Authoritative Ethel Street Authoritative Ethel Street Authoritative Ethel Street Authoritative Ethel Street Authoritative Ethel Street Authoritative

Cagger since : Mar 2011

The government guidance to employers is here if you are interested

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ork_checks.PDF

Because employers have a statutory duty to keep a copy of your documents they do not need your consent under GDPRicon to copy and retain them.

Quote Originally Posted by colin11 View Post
    I had to Bring my passport to work last year to show i had a right to work in the UK

I have been working for the company for 30 years
    Same happened to me when the new law came in. Whole company had to bring in documents. It wasn't necessary for long serving employees though as according to Home Office "The law does not require employers to carry out retrospective checks on persons who lawfully commenced employment before 29 February 2008". I guess my employer was just doing it 'to be on the safe side', or maybe to make sure that people employed before 2008 were "lawfully" employed.

Royalties Account Holder ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative

Cagger since : Nov 2012

Has the employer asked you to wear a belt and braces as part of your personal safety equipment?
    Basically this is what it is about. Provide passport/driving licence and due to the new(ish) one stop identification gateway the govt has it should suffice.

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details