Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.
    DRSSTA Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Feb 2012

Default Employment issues 'dismissal'

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone out there can give me some advice on how to deal with my predicament?

I should mention before I continue that I worked for the company for 3 years before my dismissal

In May of this year I was dismissed from work for gross misconduct, the reason for the dismissal was I did not fulfil my contracted hours ‘my timekeeping was not what it should have been’

Prior to this there was no complaint about my timekeeping nor was I give a formal warning or undergone any disciplinary / capability hearings. My work did not suffer because of this and someday I would start work from home.

I was sent a letter to attending a meeting where I was told I would be suspended without pay. I should mention that I have worked for the company for 3 at this point.

After 10 days I received a WhatsApp message to attend another meeting, in this meeting I was dismissed.

A few days after my dismissal I was called back to attend another meeting, which resulted in my re-instatement (this re-instatement involved me doing the same job with additional responsibility for less money, which I agreed to although none of this was in writing).

I was told that in this new role they would be a probationary period of 3 months.

After the 3 month I was told that I failed the probationary period and that my service would no longer be required, no complaint or feedback on my work was mentioned during the probationary period.

I guess my questions are:
    Is the gross misconduct ‘gross misconduct’?
    Was the correct procedure followed by my employer?
    Was I re-instated under the same T&Cs – I never receive a new contract or JD?

I am a union member should I approach the union on this matter?

Thanks for your help in advance

Royalties Account Holder ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative

Cagger since : Nov 2012

Default Re: Employment issues 'dismissal'

was it gross misconduct? unlikely, the ACAS code ahs a number fo steps they are supposed to follow and timescales for these.
    As for suspension without pay- unlawful
    dismissal and reinstatement, well that is continuous employment so the current dismissal without neotice would be unlawful.
    What do you want from all of this? If it is a cash settlement based on monies owed to yu that will be simple, you will be owed at least 3 weeks salary and accrued holiday apy plus any money not paid during your suspension. use the previous higher salary to calculate your figures.

should you approach your union of this? You should ahve got them involved from the day you were suspended, you are now trying to play catch up from a rather poor position when you could have had them over a barrel from the time of suspension.

Basic Account Holder
    DRSSTA Novitiate

Many thanks for your response.

Is there a template letter that i can used to seting out formal grievance for unpaid commission, unlawful deduction of wages?

even though I was dismissed and reinstated, working on old contract as no other was given and no t&cs for the new role.

Thanks again.

Site Team honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13's Avatar

Cagger since : Nov 2009

Hi.

We don't have template letters to cover what you're describing because every case is different. What you could do is post up a draft of what you want to send [remove any identifying details] and we can help you to refine it.

HB

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING
    EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    Ethel Street Authoritative Ethel Street Authoritative Ethel Street Authoritative Ethel Street Authoritative Ethel Street Authoritative Ethel Street Authoritative Ethel Street Authoritative Ethel Street Authoritative Ethel Street Authoritative

Cagger since : Mar 2011

You ask "I am a union member should I approach the union on this matter?"

Yes! I am, to put it mildly, astonished that you have been through all this without your union supporting and advising you. What on earth is the point of paying them a membership fee if they don't support you in something as serious as this!

When your company invited you to the formal disciplinary meeting at which you were dismissed the law requires them to tell you that you can be accompanied by your union rep. Did they? If not that's one breach of procedure for starters

Get them to earn their money and support you now.

Basic Account Holder
    Sangie595 Highly informative Sangie595 Highly informative Sangie595 Highly informative Sangie595 Highly informative Sangie595 Highly informative Sangie595 Highly informative Sangie595 Highly informative

Cagger since : Nov 2016

What evidence is there that you were reinstated? Because the dismissal is history, no matter what was right or wrong. It was in May. It's the end of September. Three months less a day is the tribunal deadline. So the employer says that they were willing to forgive and forget, offer you a job at lower pay, and THERE WAS A BREAK between employments. So you have no right to claim unfair dismissal. How would you disprove that version of events? Because they appear to have evidenced to support it.

Basic Account Holder
    DRSSTA Novitiate

Many thanks I did engage the union who has now finally come-up with a formal letter which has been sent to my previous employers.

Any response I receive will be posted.

Thanks for your help thus far.

Basic Account Holder
    JasJules Novitiate

Cagger since : Aug 2018

Sounds like you would seek to argue that the reinstatement results in a continuation of employment.

Basic Account Holder
    dondada Novitiate

Cagger since : Mar 2017

I would argue that the first dismissal was a sham Although the employer would argue that you accepted it

The tribunal recognizes there isn't equal bargaining power in employment relationships

Currently, you have little information so I would suggest you make a SARicon pThat would give you a little more info and strengthen your position

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    JasJules Novitiate

Cagger since : Aug 2018

Quote Originally Posted by dondada View Post
    I would argue that the first dismissal was a sham Although the employer would argue that you accepted it
    Which would render the claim out of time......

Basic Account Holder
    dondada Novitiate

Cagger since : Mar 2017

The OP has not yet said s/he is taking legal action

However, if that is the way s/he is going then s/he could make the SARicon and take legal action without waiting

SAR would give more info and that is what is needed at this time

When was the employment terminated?

Has the OP contacted ACAS?

If not, then s/he should make the SAR and by the time ACAS conciliation is over s/he would have the required info

Banned maxmayer Novitiate

Cagger since : Oct 2018

Default User is banned

User is banned, content is deleted automatically.

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    DRSSTA Novitiate

I have contacted ACAS and I'm waiting on the outcome of this.

I have since discovered that this has happened before to a previous employee who just walked away without raising a grievance.

So I guess they think this is normal behaver and this is how to treat their employees

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details