Blocked drain private road

T25
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2030 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have an issue with a drain that floods the area outside the front door of a property I rent.

The drain is in a private road, owned by a local church.

Every time there is a heavy storm, the drain overflows and creates a large puddle up to 4" deep outside my front door.

As cars come down the road to attend the church, water is pushed over the door stop and floods into the basement.

I spoke to Thames Water last year and they informed me that the ownership and responsibility laid with the church.

I contacted the church but no action was taken so Thames Water agreed to send someone to try to deal with it.

The upshot is that the drain is not blocked but is badly constructed, so is unable to cope with large volumes of water.

Both myself and the Landlord have repeatedly contacted the church but nothing is being done to fix the problem.

Is there any legal action that can be taken to force them to address the problem?

Edited by honeybee13
P

Send them a letter explaining the problem, better if you attach Thames water report.

If they don't do anything then you'll have to Bill them for any damage.

Did they build any extension or changed surface water drainage system?

Sometimes when roofers redo guttering, they reroute it into drains rather than soakaways and of course the drains don't cope as they weren't designed for that amount of water.

i think you need to go down to the Church and speak to the Vicar personally. Advise that you want to avoid unnecessary court time and the legal costs that would be incurred by both sides.

Others on this site are more knowledgeable about the legal processes.

Be warned that most Churches pass on any legal stuff to their head office, as there will be thousands of these situations around the country. Writing to the Church will prove frustrating. Hence why I think speaking to the Vicar, as one neighbour dealing with their neighbour, is probably the best option.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I've tried speaking to them.

The church is a Jehovahs witness one, so no vicar.

They have assured me that they will pass on my concerns but the problem has persisted and they do nothing.

Name the church and location...see if we can make some inroads?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Name the church and location...see if we can make some inroads?

The Landlord has asked Thames water for a formal letter stating that the drain is the responsibility of the church.He will be contacting the church with this to see if prompts them to take action.