RAC cancel insurance as can’t find address

UKDomains
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1975 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, really peeved off now. I insured a car in December 2017 with RAC insurance, paid £1200 upfront for the year as one of the drivers just got a drivers licence.

Phoned them up today to say we had just bought a new build and wanted to change address.

Person on phone couldn’t find address, entered it manually and two seconds later said I’m cancelling your insurance as our underwriters can’t find your address. We will refund £330, minus £55 cancellation fee.

I protested as the address has been on the Royal Mail website for 5 weeks already, as I informed Royal Mail myself and it was showing within 48 hours. I asked how can I be penalised due to their underwriters not keeping an up to date address paf file from Royal Mail.

He just said sorry, you can expect the money refunded within 10 days minus the cancellation fee.

I then had to run around looking for car insurance while I was trying to pack up a house!

How can they legally cancel and keep £55 for something that they have technically not done?

I’m planning on filing a formal complaint to them.

Should have asked for it to be escalated. THe monkey on the phone prob couldnt be bothered doing more checks and just did whatever was on his screen.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

perhaps the monkey was restricted in what they could do.

With many Insurers this is a problem, as they don't get an up to date list of information from Royal Mail every week and even when they do, the data Royal Mail sell them is missing some of the new build properties,

What I have seen done in other companies is that they have an overide facility for postcode/addresses, so they can select a nearby postcode to the new build, so that they can quote, to provide cover at the new address. So say if the new build had a postcode of MK43 7XD, they might select MK43 7AA, which could be a recognised postcode in the general area.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Exactly.

Nothing was attempted, blame was laid at underwriters and I was unfairly penalised.

The plus side is I found an insurer who’s address file was up to date and charged me a third of what RAC charged me in December with more options added on.

sort this out as you have to state cancelled in insurance on quotes,

send a complaint:-AC

Mr David Hobday Chief Executive

Email [email protected] send complaint E-Mail

Telephone 01922 437000

Switchboard 01922 437000

Website http://www.rac.co.uk

Social Media T

Postal Address Rac House, Brockhurst Crescent, Walsall, WS5 4AWM

Company Number 01424399C

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

I've seen a similar(ish) case recently where the Ombudsman decided the Insurer acted badly and is looking to award between £150 and £250.

Try making an "Official Complaint" (Keep it polite, outline the issue and your ideal resolution).

If you're not happy with RAC's answer / offer you can then take it to the Ombudsman

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, sorry I have been out of the country for two weeks.

The RAC confirmed the following to me:

"I would like to confirm you do not need to declare you have had insurance cancelled or refused and no adverse markers have been recorded against you.

We were unable to continue cover for your vehicle at your new address; however this was not a refusal of insurance.

This email can be kept for your records, and forwarded to any insurer who may require confirmation of this."

Yup. 3 x copies kept safe!

Site Admin, could you update thread title to **RESOLVED** or something similar please?

RAC refunded me the balance of the year's insurance as well as returned the £55 they originally deducted as a "cancellation fee".