• Tweets

• I can only speak from personal experience. But a similar thing happened to me. Seriously dented door.  I made the other insurance pay. They regarded it as a write off. Took the money, replaced the door. Never heard anything more about it.    Except clearly someone sold my details to claims company, because I got loads of calls in bad English for a few month's 
    • The incident was 03rd March 2024 - and that was the only letter that I have received from MET 15th April 2024 The charge I paid was at the Stansted Airport exit gate (No real relevance now - I thought this charge was for that!!).   Here is the content of email to them (Yes I know I said I was the driver !!!!) as said above -  I thought this charge was for that!! "Stansted Airport" Dear “To whom it may concern” My name is ??  PCN:  ?? Veh Reg: Date of Incident: 03rd March 2024 I have just received a parking charge final reminder letter, dated 10th April 2024 - for an overstay.  This is the first to my knowledge of any overstay. I am aware that I am out of the 28 days, I don’t mean to be rude, this feels like it is a scam My movements on this day in question are, I pulled into what looked like a service station on my way to pick my daughter and family up from Stansted airport. The reason for me pulling into this area was to use a toilet, so I found Starbucks, and when into there, after the above, I then purchased a coffee. After which I then continued with my journey to pick my daughter up. (however after I sent this email I remember that Starbucks was closed so I then I walked over to Macdonalds) There was no signs about parking or any tickets machines to explains about the parking rules. Once at Stansted, I entered and then paid on exit.  So Im not show where I overstayed my welcome.. With gratitude    
    • Just to enlarge on Dave's great rundown of your case under Penalty. In the oft quoted case often seen on PCNs,  viz PE v Beavis while to Judges said there was a case for claiming that £100 was a penalty, this was overruled in this case because PE had a legitimate interest in keeping the car park free for other motorists which outweighed the penalty. Here there is no legitimate interest since the premises were closed. Therefore the charge is a penalty and the case should be thrown out for that reason alone.   The Appeals dept need informing about what and what isn't a valid PCN. Dummies. You should also mention that you were unable to pay by Iphone as there was no internet connection and there was a long  queue to pay on a very busy day . There was no facility for us to pay from the time of our arrival only the time from when we paid at the machine so we felt that was a bit of a scam since we were not parked until we paid. On top of that we had two children to load and unload in the car which should be taken into account since Consideration periods and Grace periods are minimum time. If you weren't the driver and PoFA isn't compliant you are off scot free since only the driver is liable and they are saying it was you. 
    • Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

UC & Habitual Residency Test Fail?

adridude
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1978 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I moved to the UK in 2003 as my family are here. Mums british, dad's Dutch and I ended up with Dutch nationality.

I've worked, lived and paid tax, council tax etc... all the years with the od dperiods of unemployment so have been on JSA and Housing Benefits.

I applied for UC as I recently lost a job due to my driving license being revoked for 2 years.

After signing up, I was accepted and initially began to receive UC.

6 months down the line, another Habitual Residency test pops up and fails me. The initial was in February, the later in August.

The initial HRT letter reads as follows:

Dear ....

We're writing to tell you that you have passed the right to reside and habitual residence test. You have qualified as a person defined as an EEA national in the United Kingdom who is a worker. This will be reviewed if there is a change in your circumstances.

There should be no reason the latter popped up. SInce 2003, I haven't left the country once (not even on holiday). Between the initial HRT and the one that failed, nothing changed in my status at all.

The failed HRT letter reads:

Dear xyz

We're writing to tell you that unfortunately you're not entitled to Universal Credit. This is because we have decided that for Universal Credit purposes only, you do not have a right to reside and are consequently not habitually resident in the UK. This is because you are not a qualified person as defined in Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2016.

A qualified person is defined as a worker, self employed person, a jobseeker or a self sufficient person or self sufficient student. (Self sufficient means you must have resources in excess of the maximum allowable to a person claiming income related benefits and have fully comprehensive sickness insurance).

You have not provided any evidence, such as a Family residence or Family member permit issued by the Home Office and therefore, you cannot derive a right to reside from a family member.

A person can gain a permanent right of residence where they have resided in the United Kingdom in accordance with the 2016 Regulations for a continuous period of 5 years.

Therefore there is insufficient evidence to grant you a permanent right of residence for Universal Credit purposes.

A person who does not have a right to reside in the UK has to be treated as a person from abroad.

The law does not permit Universal Credit to be awarded to anyone who is a person from abroad.

I dont see where I've failed as:

1) The family is has been here longer than I have, mums british too..

2) I've been here for 13+ years uninterrupted

On that note, I've gone through the mandatory reconsideration, but the manager who processed it told me that its likely it'll fail.

I've supplied them with:

1) Copies of my parents passports

2) Birth papers

3) 10 years of doctors appointsments )from the surgery, to prove I was ehre

4) 10 years of bank statements as proof I've been here

5) 10 years of council tax bills and statements of payments

Failing that I have no idea what to do. I"m falling behind on rent, the Job Centre just wont entertain helping at all.

I'm avoiding speaking to the Dutch embassy unless I really have to, but any pointers will be handy.

*edit* as a matter of interest, the homeoffice have told me I can et a british passport, but I dont see why I need to give up my nationality for this?

Also does the permanent residency card help at all or is this just another useless form of ID?

Cheers,

Ade

HRT is quite complicated and you really need to discuss this with someone who deals with it on a daly basis. On Moneysavingsexpert benefits forum there is a lady from a rights organisation that has the knowledge that might be able to help you. They deal with people in your situation almost every day.

Your orginal decision was based on your being an EEA national who had a working history. From what I understand, if you are then out of work for 6 months, so need to continue to claim UC, they then find you ineligible. What you need to find, is someone who knows the legislation and rules very well.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I'll take a look into that.

Although I claimed at the end of january, I was self-sufficient until 1st may. I paid for everything myself, so was only awarded UC as from then.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll take a look on there..

• 1 month later...

Just an update. CAB have referred my case to University if Kent (legal clinic) as apparently this is on the increase and they’re building up a case against the DWP.

I’m the meantime I’ve been keeping diaries of everything and keeping notes on the waywardness of the DWP.

• 3 weeks later...

This happened to me,

they also claimed i didnt have right to reside even though lived in uk for 21 years from age of 5.

they took 5/6 months messing me about.

in the end i applied for perm residence which was back dated to 2002 and applied for citizenship straight after.

Have gained britsh citizenship.

But am £20,000 in debt because i was not given universal credit and was unable put my daughter in nursery without help therefore unable to work.

The DWP are breaking the law and litrally taking the **** out of people, I am still debating whether or not to go to press with my story as I feel its happening to a number of people.

Edited by dx100uk
spelling grammar

I think you have fallen foul of the Genuine Prospect of Work rule which kicks in after six months for EEA claimants and have been sent the wrong letter.

I would raise a recon and see what happens explaining about family being here etc.