UK food and drink manufacturers starting to stockpile ingredients in case of a hard Brexit

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1991 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Are people stockpiling at home if they can afford it?

I've started stockpiling certain items, mainly for the bulk buy savings rather than any Brexit concerns. I've also accepted that unless this move to leave the EU is scrapped (unlikely), we are all screwed.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

so the main quoted company is the one that bought Cadbursy and switched probuction to Poland. Well, I wont be upset to see them losing money over this. If things are really that bad they might have to start making cream eggs back in the UK again.

Are we really all scrwed when brexit comes along? Supply/demand curves used in economics would say that things will settle pretty quickly. If stuff costs more fro abrad peopel will start making it in the UK.

JLR blame brexit on a fall in sales, nowt to do with government proclamations about banning their most popular models sometime soon killing demand then. Dotn forget, saying soemthing will happen in the future doesnt change the past.

I hope you're right about the food chain, EB.

From what I've read the problem could be fresh fruit and veg of which the UK only grows about 40% of what is needed, plus underproduction of dairy produce especially milk. It would be great if farmers could cover the supply gap although dairy farmers have gone out of business or given up which isn't easy to replace overnight.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Apparently many companies are stockpiling toilet paper, fearing a hard brex****. :)

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The we will have to eat more seasonal products rather than importing lettuce from Spain in the middle fo winetr we either eat different varieties that can grow in the cold or we eat something else instead. I like lambs lettuce but you rarely see it in the shops. I picked about8kg of blackberries this year but noticed that the big ones for sale in a supermarket came from south America and cost about £2 a kg. It costs that in fuel to get them here so a madness in itself.

Anyways, most foodstuffs dont have tariffs

I hope you're right about the food chain, EB.

From what I've read the problem could be fresh fruit and veg of which the UK only grows about 40% of what is needed, plus underproduction of dairy produce especially milk. It would be great if farmers could cover the supply gap although dairy farmers have gone out of business or given up which isn't easy to replace overnight.

mind you, this will absolutely stuff the coffee companies who claim they buy their coffee from themselves in Belgium or Holland at a rate of about 3x the going market price to avoid tax. Perhaps they will buy their coffess from countries that grow it and then roast the beans in the UK to add value and them sell it at a decent price.

Or there agin, pigs might fly, but presumably no longer Danish pigs

whatever sort it is it will still be 50% injected water unless peopel accept that they have to pay a bit more for decent food because it costs more to produce decent food. i dont mean paying £10 for an "artisan" loaf of bread but the current price of a 4 pint bottle of milk isnt making anyone any money and that is bad all round.

Go to France and visit a market, their fresh produce, locally sourced is several times the price you would pay in the UK because the stuff is produced on smaller farms and the seller is often the grower. Back to my blackberry observation above.

Mind you I would also stop the burial of tonnes and tonnes of carrots and parsnips rejected by the supermarkets because thy are a bit small or knobbly. they could be used to make sugar or alcohol, animal fodder etc. Just needs someone to set up a plant to process the stuff locally to make it economical to transport.

Transport costs are often the largest part fo the price you will pay for foodstuffs because they go from the farm to a warehouse for loading onto suitable containers and then shipped to a distribution centre and from there they go to a local depot for sending ut to the stores. Work out the number of miles they have to go and you can then see how this all adds up.

Not just food. When the M25 was being built I proposed that the roadstone was taken from the china clay works in Cornwall ( the waste that formed the Cornish Alps as the spoil heaps were known) by ship 10000 tons at a time and then fill in the pits with London's rubbish. Thsi would have cost less than moving 20 lorries full from a more local source. Plan was rejected and they built the massively expensive Eden Project in the holes instead

WTO terms would be bad news for UK producers and would see many going out of business, if Government did nothing to help them.

Brexit might not happen anyway, as at the moment a second referendum seems a 50/50 possibility.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

HMG has appointed a minister to oversee the protection of food supplies.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/sep/26/uk-appoints-food-supplies-minister-amid-fears-of-no-deal-brexit

Having Ministers for this is not a new or even old thing. During the First World War the likes of rationing was introduced by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson_Kearley,_1st_Viscount_Devonport , I only mention this because I happened to work for his great grandson in the 1990's and always remember on of his comments after he had just paid his losses at Lloyds that he had to start "watching the £10 notes".

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

WTO terms would be bad news for UK producers and would see many going out of business, if Government did nothing to help them.

Brexit might not happen anyway, as at the moment a second referendum seems a 50/50 possibility.

Dreams.

Not the bed company.

that depends on your market, a British grower selling in the UK will have less competition and a better chance of not being done over by the supermarkets.

We need to look very hard at our entire supply chain for the stuff we eat before deciding what is going to be good or bad. Cost push inflation leads to higher wages and that means more spending power. Where it all goes badly is in a mature economy like ours we have so many people who are not primary or secondary producers so the whole lot are reliant on either more national debt or have to rely on the good fortune of those in the first 2 sectors.

• 3 weeks later...

Brexit looking pretty unlikely at the moment. Not sure there is any basis to proceed, because Northern Ireland with an open land border has to remain part of the same arrangement as Ireland. But this is not acceptable to most UK politicians. Also leaving the EU with no deal is also not acceptable to most politicians.

There is no basis for Brexit to proceed that would be accepted by UK parliament, the EU and the 27 EU countries.

Brexit will therefore not be implemented by 29th March 2019. It will either be delayed or there will be another referendum for people to decide what they want politicians to implement. Option to remain in the EU will have to be one option.

Just reinforces the opinon that politicians cnat be trusted adn out negotiators arent up to the job. This is always going to be a problem where you ahve to make a "deal" when if things were done differenty from the start that wouldnt be necessary. The same will apply when it comes to trade deals with the rest of the world, they will screw up again just to get some deal, any deal.

Repeal the 1972 European community Act and state that the border between Eire and the UK will be on the same basis as the ones between France/Belgium etc. Since 1926 we have never treated the irish as foreigners.Time to let them know they are and they ahve decided to bed down witht he rest of the EU so cannot be treated as a special case as we arent one.

Spain is already sening out emissaries to promote tourism post brexit whislt publicly making the same noises as everyone ele. No-one wants to lose the game of pass the parcel so who next, Greece(tourism) or Poland(trade and people) My money is on Germany becuae we are their biggest export market and Merkel will be out soon anyway