Accident without insurance [another party after car hire fees from me!!]

Littleman11
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2039 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys, really hoping for some advice on my own stupidity and maybe some idea of what to expect.

Until October last year I was working with a company who had given me a van to drive to and from work, because of this I didn’t insure my car for my commute.

I moved job and was given another van to commute with but it was not all the time.

I was stupid enough to forget to update my insurance

in January I was involved in a multi car accident on my way to work.

I was the last car in 6 and only lightly hit the car in front of me.

The police took everybody's details and sent us all on our way,

I arrived into work and made the call to my insurance company to inform them of the accident and it was at this point I found out that I wasn’t insured (being honest I don’t remember not selecting the commute option but that’s not relevant),

it was a genuine oversight on my part which obviously doesn’t condone it but it was not something I intentionally did.

I was later informed by my insurer that my policy would be cancelled and I have heard nothing since February.

The police never contacted me at all about the incident.

Today I received a letter from DAS asking me to pay 500 pound for car hire on somebody else’s claim, this was not the car I hit but further down the line of 6.

I am up the walls,

I’m literally just about to start a DMP to help with my already spiralling debts and I am now so worried about what’s coming down the line with this and don’t know where to turn

I would suggest this is a spurious claim

I bet the person who was insured hired or was given hire of the most expensive hire car the claim management firm used mediators for want of anotherword could find [claims could find [probably find they are in bed wit them.

the persons insurance co. [or the ins company of the person they are claiming from] has turned around and said no there were cheaper cars we aint paying that sum..its a very commin sc@m sadly.

now down the line they are looking for a mug to get their ill gotten money out of

I've moved to the motoring ins forum

the experts will be alone later.

just as a side note

this DMP you are going into.

do check ALL of your debts are enforceable before blindly paying anyone

esp a DCA and esp if the debt is several years old.

might be best to start a new thread and tell us about your debts.

we might be able to wipe most out if they don't hold signed agreements

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I do have to start the new thread on my debts, I’ll get that done tomorrow.

It does seem to be bad for my future, I have visions of 70k to 100k bills coming through my door and me having no way of paying them meaning debt for the rest of my life.

Thanks for your help on this

Insurers can't normally cancel policies to avoid paying third party claims. Insurers have responsibilities under Road Traffic Acts and ICOBS say Insurers should not void or cancel policies to avoid claims. They could arguably avoid paying for any damage to the vehicle covered by the Policy, but not a third party claim.

Suggest the OP just posts the DAS letter on to the Insurance they had at the time.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The letter says they contacted my insurance company and that they are not willing to deal with the claim so they are now looking to me to recoup their loses. If it was for the car I actually hit them I’d understand and would probably pay it but surely they would have to prove I caused damage to this other car which I definitely didn’t before they can start threatening me with court

You don't have to respond. This won't go to court anyway, as the amount is not worth it. DAS represent the driver that has the uninsured loss, but given the liability is not clear, they won't pursue this beyond a few letters.

You have to remember that a company like DAS only charge a small amount for legal expenses cover, so there is a limit to the cases they will pursue. If there was a very large claim, then of course they would pursue, as any court fees etc are justified.

A £500 claim would justify a few letters chasing.

You don't want to reply anyway. Why give the impression to DAS that you are willing to communicate about this, when liability is not clear at all.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Really?

So you think i should just ignore? I was thinking of contacting them and asking for proof that i owe this, my problem is that this is just for the car hire, i would presume that if they were chasing me for this then i would expect that they would chase me for the repair cost further down the line

either ignore totally or simply fwd this to your ins Co. at the time after copying it.

this aint going nowhere.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Really?

So you think i should just ignore? I was thinking of contacting them and asking for proof that i owe this, my problem is that this is just for the car hire, i would presume that if they were chasing me for this then i would expect that they would chase me for the repair cost further down the line

I’d give them a call, hoping they will go away won’t help. Tell them they gave the wrong person, it is easily done in a 6 car pile up.

Can't see the point in calling them. What are they going to do with verbal information ? Not much.

If people think a response should be made, then just send a letter advising that you believe a mistake has been made in identifying the driver of the car responsible for this accident. Therefore it is denied that any liability exists in this 6 car accident, which was the responsibility of another party. You suggest that DAS go back to their Insured, as you believe DAS have been given information which is incorrect.

You don't give any specific information about where your car was in relationship to the party that suffered the loss. If you say you were the last car in a chain of 6, it will be suggested that you hit the car in front, causing a chain accident involving the other cars.

It is always up to the party making the allegation to provide evidence of your liability, which is why I suggest not responding at this stage. Or just deny any liability exists, as you believe DAS does not have the correct information.

This ^^^

You are only responsible for actual damages YOU caused to the vehicle YOU struck. You have a fishing letter for someone to cough up some cash. Play tennis now with advice form above. If you must contact them and feel the need, deny everything and claim nothing and the ball Is back in their court for them to decide on what they do.

As a side note, Police have upto 6 months from the date of offence to prosecute you for IN10 (no insurance), but as there WAS a level of cover in place at the time, I doubt you will be chased for it. Unfortunate the insurers cancelled your policy you have to declare that now everytime you look for insurance. That and a Claim that's held on CUE for you for your last 5 yrs.