Helping my Dad with CC debts now I have mental lasting power of attorney

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2018 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Thank you for all your help over the many years - been a long journey but almost there.

Now that I have the strength and knowledge (from here) to take on the financial system in this country, I'm now trying to help my elderly Dad fight back.

My Dad was always in control of financial affairs in the past but for the last few years now has become less able to deal with the modern world and now he is showing early sign of dementia. It came as quite a shock to find out that he has 6 credit cards which are now leaving him with no pension to live on. It became noticeable last year when he was a victim of identity fraud. His bank account was cleared out twice and so he ended up with loads of penalty payment and a few defaults.

I want to "put the brakes" on the charges and interest with all these companies and now feel I'm in a position to do so now that I have LPA (lasting power of attorney).

My idea is to send these companies a letter saying that my sister and I are taking over financial affairs for Dad, enclose a copy of the LPA, and also start the ball rolling by asking for the original signed Credit Card Agreement. Some of my Dad's cards go back to the 80's :!:

I want to see if he has an agreement and if they don't at least put them on the back foot when I ask them to freeze his account so he can just work out a manageable payment plan.

Should I do it this way or does anyone have a better idea?

Best regards Fevr

By all means use the power of attorney – but don't expect the banks or credit card issuers to be particularly helpful or cooperative and it may take some time for them to agree.

The best thing you can do is simply send off SARs to everyone and get your father to sign the request. From what I gather, he is still functioning reasonably well and so simply write the letters get him to sign them and then see what arrives.

If the information you get indicates that there are PPI policies et cetera or unfair charges then if he can still sign any letters then the best thing to do is to do it in his name until eventually you are obliged to use the power of attorney when he simply isn't able.

This will be a much quicker and effective way to deal with things

Hi BankFodder,

Great to speak to you yet again and thanks for all your help in the past - it really did help me. I'm indebted to you.

Yes he is still functioning but he has good and bad days.

The Power of attorney kit link doesn't seem to work. It just takes me to the Forum home page - is there another link?

Thanks

Hi.

I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad. I went through the same thing with my mother and it's such a shame to see them like that, for everyone. I'm sure you can make the financial situation better with help from people here.

When I was dealing with POA stuff, not all the companies would accept a copy of the POA unless it was certified. One electricity company would only deal with the original.

HB :hug:

Illegitimi non carborundum

I don't know what the link was meant to go to. Ignore it. It might have been corrupted a few years ago after a hack attack

Hi Honeybee13, thank you very much for your kind words.

I'm also sorry to hear about your mum, it is indeed difficult to see our parents like that:sad:. It is bad enough when these companies treat us so badly but when it's our loved ones and they don't have the strength or use the internet to find out, through forums like CAG, how to tackle the tricks played by so called trusted financial companies it enough to make your blood boil:mad2:

BankFodder - I found the link for the SAR here https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387306-Full-Subject-Access-Request you suggested I start the process with.

Two questions

1. Would it make sense to send a covering letter with the LPA at the same time as requesting the SAR. I realise they will drag out acknowledging my sister and myself with discussing the account but that process can be running slowly in tandem with the SAR request. However I'd be expecting the SAR to be satisfied within the month time frame.

2. Also, at that letter stage would it be worth trying to "appeal to their better nature" :roll: to help by stopping the interest and charges, I don't think my 88 year old dad is worried about a black mark/default on his credit file, we just want to stop the "cash cow" that my Dad has become and make a sensible arrangement so he has a pension and doesn't have the mental stress that will only make his condition worse. With that it mind, I would imagine that the SAR template could be reworded slightly so it doesn't appear confrontational so early in the process?

I would send the sar s etc in her name

They wont know its you doing it

There are some good letters in the debt collection section of our library asking for debt to be written off

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...