Local Authority refusing to give back door keys

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2011 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I'm posting this on behalf of a friend who is at the end of her tether regarding the treatment she is receiving from the local Council.

Long story short, she has been placed in temporary accomodation along with her 5 kids aged 2-14, having had to leave the emergency accomodation she was put in after her senile old father threw her and the kids out on the street one night.

The house has the bog standard set up of front door, back door from lounge to the garden and a side door.

She has only been given keys to the front door meaning she has very difficult access to the garden, but what worries her most is if there was a fire or they had to get out the property quickly the only way out is the front door which wouldn't be much use if that was blocked by a fire.

She spoke to a woman at the council this morning who in a nutshell said "oh well we try not to give keys out to the back doors you'll just have to manage and if you had to escape you'd just have to try and get out the window instead"!!!!

Surely this can't be right? If she's paying rent to stay in a property surely she has the right to access and exit it through all it doors?

Any advice appreciated as they talk to her as though she's some kind of ****** chavvy single Mum which she's far from being.

Thanks

I have to agree with the above especially get the fire service involved in fact see if they do a free fire safety inspection and inform them of the councils response and if they would be able to do a letter for you then if they do formal complaint to council attaching a copy of the fire service letter.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group