Has anyone ever had a regisration mark removed by DVLA

tigeress289
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2016 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Having lost a few registration marks to DVLA over the years. I wondered if anyone has ever lost a registration mark which made their car worthless as the DVLA did not affix another. This was a valuable classic car some years ago.

I am also looking at the legal power of the DVLA.

What they can and can't do legally. Thank you

What do you mean by "lost"?

If you lost the physical plate that you attach to the car you simply get another one made by car parts shops.

I've never heard of DVLA not finding an existing number plate in their system, but with them everything is possible

Many years ago the DVLA removed the registration mark of a vehicle I owned.

In doing so they reduced the cars value to zero as they did not affix a replacement number. The car had ex works history but was involved in a racing accident.

Having purchased the vehicle some years after and restored it, there was a claim made to the vehicle.

But then the claimant then changed their story and made up another.

Long and short DVLA removed registration mark.

I want to know what legal power they had or have. And if this has ever happened to anyone else.

Started 24 years ago removed mark 2 years later. The time is not important any more as I am just interested in if it has still gone on. I have lost registration marks to the DVLA over the years, 4 BYO and 33 ALC spring to mind.

I am interested to know if anyone has taken them to Court and won.

Hi, a fact that the majority of people don't know is that DVLA own all registration marks and can they remove that mark. They even took the document back as it is their property.

4 BYO for an example, they said the mark did not exist and not on system. This was years ago when they stole numbers by the thousands.

They have made Millions selling personal numbers, thousands of people lost marks.

I have made it so your link is clickable

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Simon Tse (then Chief Executive of DVLA) said to the Commons Transport Select Committee in 2011 that they were looking at the possibility of ‘selling’ previously issued registrations.

See the transcript (also interesting for other matters), particularly the final paragraph under Q21-

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201012/cmselect/cmtran/uc1611-i/uc161101.htm

I am not aware that has come into effect and assuming it hasn’t, DVLA cannot issue (sell) a number that had previously been issued.

If or until it does come into effect, other than by ‘normal’ transfer, the exception is previously issued numbers can only be used again once the subject vehicle has been positively identified by documentation and/or certification by recognised Marque Owners Clubs, such as following a restoration.

Simon Tse (then Chief Executive of DVLA) said to the Commons Transport Select Committee in 2011 that they were looking at the possibility of ‘selling’ previously issued registrations.

See the transcript (also interesting for other matters), particularly the final paragraph under Q21-

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201012/cmselect/cmtran/uc1611-i/uc161101.htm

I am not aware that has come into effect and assuming it hasn’t, DVLA cannot issue (sell) a number that had previously been issued.

If or until it does come into effect, other than by ‘normal’ transfer, the exception is previously issued numbers can only be used again once the subject vehicle has been positively identified by documentation and/or certification by recognised Marque Owners Clubs, such as following a restoration.

This was one of the biggest mistakes DVLA made relying on Car Clubs, they are run by people who are enthusiasts but a fair few were run by people who used the club for their own gains. Majority of car clubs are limited companies and can be dissolved at any time.

Most of my plates were stolen by DVLA using the simple excuse of no record of ownership. They were all stolen prior to the DVLA use of SCORN, which was just another money earner. A few cherished number plate companies were started by someone working at DVLA or having someone on the inside.

My main post refers to a registration mark being removed because of ownership dispute and car club information. The car club involved are still going with completely different people running it but still covering things up as its in their interest.

Car clubs are a dying trend now so please don't think otherwise.

If this were the case , why and how did DVLA sell the registration numbers to the 3 famous Italian Job minis. The DVLA can do what they like as it is near impossible to bring them to justice.

Like other people I'm confused about how you lose a registration. I thought as long as you have the document the reg no is yours.

When the DVLA took over vehicle registration matters from local authorities there was a fixed period for the transfer to the DVLA, either automatically as a vehicle was re-licensed, or application of transfer by the keeper. The DVLA stated that at the end of the period, any vehicle details that had not been transferred to the DVLA system would no longer be recognised. There were pleas from some of the motor clubs and the DVLA agreed that they may consider later applications for vehicles verified by the clubs.

When the DVLA took over vehicle registration matters from local authorities there was a fixed period for the transfer to the DVLA, either automatically as a vehicle was re-licensed, or application of transfer by the keeper. The DVLA stated that at the end of the period, any vehicle details that had not been transferred to the DVLA system would no longer be recognised. There were pleas from some of the motor clubs and the DVLA agreed that they may consider later applications for vehicles verified by the clubs.

That was around 1974 wasn't it? Mind you OP did say their problem went back 'many years', but I wasn't thinking of over 40 years ago!

That was around 1974 wasn't it? Mind you OP did say their problem went back 'many years', but I wasn't thinking of over 40 years ago!

The DVLA registrations started with the 'M' suffix - August 1973 and transfer from local authority records DVLA records ran for a period after that. I wondered how far back the OP meant as 4BYO and 33ALC do not appear on the DVLA vehicle record system so they could have been lost by not being transferred from the local authority system to the DVLA.

Yes, but when you send them in they were not received. Registered mail did not prove what was sent. With 4 BYO, I even sent parking permit from previous owner and tax disc, still lost it and nothing returned.

It may have depended on when you sent the documents and how long after the DVLA closed the transfer period that they accepted late applications. For late applications they required the original local authority vehicle log book with a letter from an accepted car club that the details of the vehicle shown on the log book matched those of the actual vehicle.