• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2047 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, newbie here.

Firstly, sorry this is a bit long, but I could do with some advice.

I've used all your excellent advice to start a claim with M&S for mis-sold PPI.

I took out a store card with them back in 1998, which was changed to a credit card in 2003 when they stopped offering store cards.

Store card customers were pre-approved.

I took out the store card in store at the sales counter with just the normal sales person there, and I took out the PPI on the card at the same time.

I chose to do this deliberately.

I wasn't given any advice about whether this was appropriate for me by the staff member, and to be honest, it wouldn't have occurred to me to ask whether the insurance was even suitable for me. I was 28 with three kids under 5 and rushed off my feet!

When I took out the policy I wasn't working as I was at home with three small children.

M&S send out a policy review every year, but this year was the first year I actually checked it

- I've never done it before because I didn't realise I needed to as far as PPI was concerned, and to be honest, they send these out in an envelope that looks like it's just marketing materials rather than actually anything important,

while I don't remember looking closely at one of these "statements" before, often I expect I've just chucked them out unopened. My statements all say that there is important information enclosed on the envelope so I always keep and open them, but not the other stuff.

I assumed, naively and stupidly apparently, that because I'd taken the insurance out, it would therefore have been suitable for my needs. It just didn't occur to me that it wouldn't - after all, every other insurance I'd dealt with at that point, car, house, etc, was fit for purpose.

But anyway, the annual review certificate I got this year says on the front "employment status - not working". When I checked the policy details, it said that if I was working less than 16 hours a week, I wouldn't be covered. So all this time, I've not actually been covered. If I'd been asked whether I was working at the time of taking out the card, I would have told them I wasn't.

I've never thought to check since about whether I was mis-sold as I assumed that because I'd taken it out myself I wouldn't have a claim, but a friend advised me to look at the mis-selling criteria and I'm sure I have a case.

I wrote to M&S back in July explaining that I thought I'd been mis-sold because the policy clearly wasn't suitable for me as it wouldn't have paid out if I'd made a claim, and although I'd chosen to take it out, no attempt had been made to explain it to me, and it was made clear that taking out the insurance would help my application. I had no reason to doubt the sales-person's honesty or integrity - this was 1997, after all, way before any sort of scandal about mis-selling, and at the height of the consumer credit boom.

So, fast forward to today, when I phone M&S after getting 4 texts from them on Friday telling me to contact them urgently.

I spoke to a nice man who said that there was a letter on the way, but he would tell me what the letter said.

They've rejected my complaint because they said I ticked the boxes on the forms, which I did, (and which I told them I did, I've always said that I chose to take it out), that their staff member wouldn't have given me financial advice when I took the store card out (which surely they should have done if they were selling me a financial product?),

that I also took out the PPI when they changed my store card to a credit card, and that in the years since I have had ample opportunity to check the terms and conditions of the insurance.

I have obviously had the opportunity to do so, and that I didn't is my own fault, but I really had no reason to suspect I needed to.

As far as I was concerned I was paying my premiums every month and I was covered if anything happened.

They also say that the terms and conditions were on both the credit agreements and that therefore I knew what I was agreeing to and that any error is mine and nothing to do with them.They're sending me copies of the original agreements, but apart from the commission part, which they're paying me for, they've refused my claim.

There were periods in the last 20 years where I was working more than 16 hours a week, but it wasn't for more than about 5 years in total, but at the time I took out the insurance I wasn't working, and at the time the card was changed over I wasn't either.

Part of me feels like an enormous idiot for not checking the terms and conditions sooner, but honestly, it just didn't occur to me that I would have been mis-sold something so long ago, or that I could even have a claim, because I made a choice to be responsible and to take out the insurance myself.

I just left it to run and run in the background because once it was there I didn't feel that I needed to check it again. And I feel that they rely on you doing that, but to then use it against me to refuse my claim just makes me angry.

I've also sent them an SAR asking for copies of all the agreements and the terms and conditions that would have been in place at the time, along with copies of missing statements so I can plug it all into a spreadsheet and work out what I think they owe me.

However, while I strongly feel that I was mis-sold this PPI, am I actually right?

I don't want to accept this from them,

I feel I'm at least due my premiums back for a policy I couldn't have claimed on, regardless of anything else.

But am I right to fight this (it feels to me like they're just trying it on, to be honest, to see if I'll give in if they're nasty enough) with M&S?

I'm happy to take it all the way, if necessary, as this has become more about the principle now than the money, so it's off to the Ombudsman if I don't get any joy from M&S, but am I just kidding myself here that I've got any way of winning this?

I am stubborn and angry and quite prepared to make a fuss about this, but I just need to know if I actually have a leg to stand on before putting all the effort in - I'm not well and don't have much energy to spare so I like to make sure it's worth expending before I start....;) I'd appreciate any help or advice anyone has, this is all a bit of a minefield!

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by Valkyrie69
adding text

the issue is it was an unadvised sale , so the rep had no need to check anything.

now your route is correct, it would not have paid out ever so they should be refunding.

however, would they ever had checked anything..i doubt it..

were they supposed too?..no at that time it was unregulated.

now there could be a route with the underwriters, as they might have been regulated under GISC or API

and they should have checked the policy was suitable.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...