Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Sep 2018

Default Legal & General and BVS Surveyors trying to undervalue water damage

We have suffered a water leak for some time the pipework was concealed behind ground floor toilet pipe boxing and affected adjoining 2rooms.
    Legal and general sent in Building Validation Solutions http://www.bv-solutions.co.uk/ to survey ?flooring in toilet had to be removed plus tiling waist height .damage pipe was made secure to facilitate use of toilet

Bvs completed their survey and came up with a value which would just cover cost of decorating,radiator removal and refit not enough for reinstatement of cloakroom toilet not even making allowance for toilet to be removed this is fixed on the remaining floor covering and needs to be removed toilet will crack as it is cemented to floor,bvs sent me text later that day giving me 14 days to accept ?,

I have started to get quotes in for works and it coming out at twice their allowance ,can anyone advice please

Follows
    Following

Site Team The Consumer Action Group BankFodder's Avatar

Cagger since : Jan 2006

Blog Entries

Default Legal & General and BVS Surveyors trying to undervalue water damage

Firstly, don't be fazed by their threats of particular deadlines. And you should tell them so.

Write to them and tell them that you are fully aware of their obligations treat you unfairly under FCA regulations and you will not submit yourself to unilateral deadlines of 14 days or any other deadline. Tell them that you are considering your position and you are investigating the true cost of making good the damage and you will then be in contact with them.

Tell them however that you have already discovered that they are trying to fob you off with a payment substantially lower than the value of making good and that you will be obtaining your own estimates for the work and supplying them to them.

Tell them also that if they insist on trying to bully you with deadlines or what amounts to other threats, that you will begin an immediate complaint to the fosicon about their behaviour.

Send the letter pretty well precisely in those terms. Don't forget that these people make money not from paying you but by not paying you or by not paying you enough. Keep control and make sure that they understand that you are not going to be a pushover.

Read up on ICOBSicon

Warning: I use dictation software. Beware of homophones!
    Have you read our dealing with customer services guide?
    Please don't pm me about specific questions unless you have posted and it has not been dealt with or unless the matter is confidential.

All attribution rights and moral rights in my copyright work are asserted
    Advice & opinions of BankFodder, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.
    Follows
    Following

Default Re: Legal & General and BVS Surveyors trying to undervalue water damage

moved to insurance forum

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM HITTING 'REPLY WITH QUOTE' IF YOU ARE SIMPLY REPLYING TO THE LAST POST IN A THREAD..JUST TYPE!!
    it makes a thread twice as long to scroll through..save data download times and costs
    If you want advice please PM me a link to your thread. PM advice is not allowed!!
    DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following

you will need to check your policy as some wont allow for the cost of removing radiator tiling etc to find the leak in the first place so make sure that your quotes are for exactly what is allowed in the policy.

Now putting the radiator back on the wall afterwards will be covered in any policy i have ever had so that shouldt be an issue but damage getting to the leak? could be something they will want to argue about

Basic Account Holder

Quote Originally Posted by ericsbrother View Post
    you will need to check your policy as some wont allow for the cost of removing radiator tiling etc to find the leak in the first place so make sure that your quotes are for exactly what is allowed in the policy.

Now putting the radiator back on the wall afterwards will be covered in any policy i have ever had so that shouldt be an issue but damage getting to the leak? could be something they will want to argue about
    In response to your reply I confirm that the surveyor (bvs)appointed by legal and general have confirmed rad removal and replacement in survey,I have since received quotes for restoring the damage to rooms involved and they are double what BVS asked me to settle for,the say they have allowed for meteridge walls flooring ect but will not tell me what rate they are using for calculation stating the insurance company provide these ? ,BVS. Want to talk to the builders /plumbers/ decorators ,Who have quoted for the work with a view to reducing their quotes or they will supply their teams to carry out works . I have already started. Works and are paying myself as we need to get back to normal asap , bvs any advise would be welcome

As long as your people have given detailed quotes then the loss adjusters will have little to say. So a vague " repair to room" from a plasterer or tiler will leave a lot of room for argument wheras replacing x sq metres of white 150m tiles, grouting and cleaning afterwards with y hours allowed for labour will leave them with nothing to point at. This is one of the rerasons insurance jobs cost more, the people get paid slower and they have more paperwork to do.

For some big jobs insurers automatically give themselves a 10% discount on the final bill even when no such negotiation has taken place that would consider that.

You dont have to let their peopelin your house but if you want to be really awkward insist that each person who is visiting your property brings along a copy of their DBS for working with children and vulnerable adults as you often leave your demented granny alone at home (or whatever). They wont have the paperwok so they wont be allowed in and no reason for insurer to complain, it is the law.

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder

Hi thanks for response
    Bvs just phoned with slighty increased offer still does not meet quotes value ,I said can't. Agree to that and will be contacting financial services for more advice as they previously said I should give them more time to consider their offer ,BVS(independent surveyor )?? Told me I might have to accept their contractors to repair the damage .
    I have out of my funds cleared the damage and have replaced the toilet .
    Any advise please

Follows
    Following

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details