helenawred
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2044 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, hoping for some good advice.

I bought a prom dress for my daughter from an independent dress shop it cost £400 and had a value of £450. The agreement with the shop is that it would be ordered, I would collect it and take it to a seamstress to be shortened (they are made to standard length so this is common practice) I would then return to the shop with the dress to have it steamed by them ready for the prom.

The dress was perfect on collection and it was agreed it was perfect when I dropped it back to the shop for steaming. However when I collected the dress it had water marks on the chiffon. The owner contacted the manufacturer who gave instructions for resteaming. I was asked to collect the dress the next day with promises it would 'be perfect'.

When I returned the next day the dress was actually worse. I left the dress for a further day and the next day which was the day of the prom returned to collect it but it still had marks. The marks were not so bad that the dress couldn't be worn - I had no other option of outfit for my daughter. But it did have marks that could be seen when closely inspected and I have photo evidence of this.

I reluctantly took the dress and my daughter wore it agreeing with the retailer that we would speak after prom. She requested I return the dress to her which I did. She has now sent it back to me with a letter saying neither she or the manufacturer take responsibility because the dress was independtly altered and I accepted the dress. I had been required to pay the full balance on original collection of the dress.

Do I have a claim???? Hope someone can help. The fault definitely occurred as a result of the steaming.

Edited by honeybee13
Paras

now this is 2 different contracts so dont be confused between them The purchase and altetration is one contract and they are ight, you have no right to a trefund should you complain it doesnt fit for example but the second contract was for the pressing of the dress, now your property. They damaged your goods so you are entitled to relief for that damage, basically the value of the dress plus any alteration costs.

Same would apply if you took it to a dry cleaners; they coulnd say that any damag thery did was tough luck, they have a duty of care towards you and your property so if there was a chance the dress would stain this should have been explained at the outset.

This is about a service, not a sale.

Edited by honeybee13
Paras

you need to get your head around the fact that you are not pursuing them as a retailer but a business that damaged your goods whist pressing it so they are not acting in a capacity of retailer and you would best avoideven mentioning them in this capacity other than for show the correct history. This is about a service, not faulty goods, Consumer Rights Act covers it all.