style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1977 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm currently living in a flat that I have occupied on the same level of rent for 14 years.

The building my flat is in has been recently sold, with that information and a new Gas safety certificate being passed to me by the Letting Agent.

The Letting agency confirmed by email that the building had new owners and that the new owners would like to offer me a new tenancy at a higher rent rate, some £75 dearer. Which is unaffordable and massively greater than the current rate of rent of 2 bedroom flats and houses in my area.

There are currently 4 repairs that require doing to the building and flat, namely the front door is insecure, the fire alarm system has no power, one of the radiators leaks in my box room amd the boiler has a persistent and intermittent leak that hasn't been traced yet after 3 attempts.

My previous landlords were aware of all these repairs, which I had reminded them of before leaving to work away from home in July.

I have no evidence that the new landlord is aware of these and I have grounds to suspect the Landlords have been less than honest with the Letting Agency.

Anyway. My response to this email was that I would await a formal notice but believed that the new rent was excessive. The response was a hand delivered Section 21.4(a) with a letter attached citing rent arrears as ground to evict.

My feeling is that I am being evicted in response because I have made clear that I find the unofficially suggested new rent excessive.

Thoughts ?

Hi, Not really my area but I have seen on twitter where councils have taken landlords to court over the safety of the buildings and I think there is one where an unlawful eviction was challenged. I will have a look and see if I can find some cases.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

This site has a few cases listed

http://tinyurl.com/yd5lgaoz

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Why do you think this is a retaliatory eviction? New LL has not served Notice but may offer you a new AST at increased rent, which you can decline. He can increase rent anyway via s13.

*Cough* "Anyway. My response to this email was that I would await a formal notice but believed that the new rent was excessive. The response was a hand delivered Section 21.4(a) with a letter attached citing rent arrears as grounds to evict."

He has....

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry. Periodic Rolling Tenancy.

It gets better thro. I live in an area that my local council has designated as a Selective Landlord Licensing area. This was set up in 2015 and runs for 5 years. The criteria for this area is that it is an area of low housing demand, according to the council's own blurb. A query to the council revealed that only 1 flat has a licence for that flat only, and it's not my flat, and no one has applied for a licence at all for the whole building.

• 3 weeks later...
How was rent increase notified and when?

if s13, T could have applied to FTT for new rent for 12 month.

When did LL Registration become Obligatory?

No formal rent increase was ever made, it was just suggested in an email from the Letting Agent.

My local council used the powers provided by the Government in 2015 and declared 4 areas as selective licencing, including mine. So far my reading of this is that a Section 21 notice can not be served if a property is not licensed and doesn't fall into one of the exemption categories. My flat has no licence as of the 3rd October after checking with my local council.

• 3 weeks later...