3rd time caught shoplifting (RLP)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1986 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

Last week I stole from a TKMaxx branch. This is the third time I am caught stealing from a shop, and third time I am told about Retail Loss Prevention (It has never been from the same shop/company.)

The first time I received a letter and I paid the money that I was told "I had to pay". The second time I actually never received a letter, therefore I never paid anything.

However, as this is my third time, I wonder what the consequences can be? Based on posts I've seen on here I shouldn't take RLP too seriously but as this is the third time I'm caught shoplifting I am a bit worried as to what RLP can do and if they can take any legal action. I wonder if they have a database with my information and previous offences?

Thank you

Nothing they can do

About time to see you doc?

Why do you need to keep stealing?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

RLP wont do a thing except send letters.

However you NEED to stop shoplifting, as next time the police could be involved and it will become much more serious.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Hi and welcome to CAG.

Before any assistance is given, you MUST address the shoplifting. Why are you doing it. Need? Excitement?

Are you under 18?

Have you come to the attention of the Police yet regarding these crimes?

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hi,

I don't know why I do it. The last 3-4 years of my life haven't been easy and I have had to deal with complicated situations that have affected my mental health. I have depression and anxiety, but I know I don't need to shoplift in order to survive.

I'm afraid I do not want to give any more information about me/previous offences. I'm assuming that being under/over 18 makes a difference? And having/not having attention of the police does as well?

I know I need help but I don't know how or where to start and I am not ready to confront it yet. I just know I have to stop it no matter what.

Hi user8563

You do not have to give any further information about me/previous offences that is entirely up to you.

As for where to get help I assume you are being treated for your depression and anxiety via your GP, so please have a chat with those treating you and I know it may be hard but you really need to let them know about this shoplifting.

There is also this Samaritans link: https://www.samaritans.org/

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hi again,

Firstly I would be addressing the shoplifting aspect. Are you on anti depressants (hereafter called happy pills)? If so, you may have become tolerant of the pills and need to up the dosage OR get some counselling (both available from your GP).

I think it's safe to say that you have read a lot about RLP and know exactly what to do with them but please make sure you don't leave 'skid marks' :-)

RLP state that they keep a separate database of offenders and they have a separate company that deals with this aspect. They are called Cireco. They cannot release any information related to you without your written permission which you won't be giving. They may release the data for the prevention and deterrent of crime aspect with legal bodies who have the right to see them however, I am yet to hear of that.

I am also yet to hear of any case where the police have anything on their database where no police involvement was done. It would be different if the police had attended as they then have a duty to record the offence.

The database itself is flawed as it contains details of alleged shoplifters and not convicted shoplifters so this could cause many problems for them if a seasoned shoplifter gives a false name and address. I'm going off on a tangent and I must stop.

Just ignore RLP. They will go away eventually.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Anxiety/depression doesnt lead people to shoplift so you need to be having a good talk with your doctor about this behaviour and ask for some CBT sessions so you can get to the bottom of this and learn coping techniques that steer you away from the behaviour that is getting you onto trouble.

So far you have been lucky that the police havent been involved. they would be unlikely to drag you up before the beak but you would then be on their radar and that could cause you problems of a different kind.

RLP have nothing to do with justice though so again I would say you ignore them regardless of what they say, they have no interest other than making money by smoke an mirrors and paying them encourages more of their excessive claims

Anxiety/depression doesnt lead people to shoplift

Sorry EB, I have to disagree with you. When people get depressed, they need a 'high' to make them feel 'normal' again and I am talking from a personal perspective here.

I have suffered with depression for years and initially I had to do something risky to make me feel better even though it was only a short high. As soon as my adrenaline went back to normal, I was depressed again. It's a vicious circle.

I am on happy pills to help me cope and they do work even though I have had to up the dose.

Shoplifting is just one way of getting the thrill some people need.

• Haha 1

my brain chemistry due to a tumour give me the symptoms of depression if I dont take my expensive medicine so when i said that it doesnt lead to shoplifiting I mean that it doesnt automatically lead to those actions. I used to find it difficult to go out and interact with people so hanging around shops to nick stuff would have oput me in a sweat. happy pills make help some but behavioural issues are best helped by CBT but unfortunately it is help that is at a premium and takes a long time.

Sorry EB, I have to disagree with you. When people get depressed, they need a 'high' to make them feel 'normal' again and I am talking from a personal perspective here.

I have suffered with depression for years and initially I had to do something risky to make me feel better even though it was only a short high. As soon as my adrenaline went back to normal, I was depressed again. It's a vicious circle.

I am on happy pills to help me cope and they do work even though I have had to up the dose.

Shoplifting is just one way of getting the thrill some people need.

Morning EB. Thanks for the clarification. I agree that not all depression cases (or even that the shoplifter is even depressed) lead to shoplifting. People do different things and shoplifting is just one; this is why I have an interest in this forum.

As for getting CBT. That will be a long process. A counsellor is easier to get but you are spot on when you say to get help from a GP.

You know, it's nice that I can disagree with you and it doesn't end up a slanging match.

Anyway, back on topic for the OP.

• 1 month later...

This thread is probably dead now and the OP probably isn’t monitoring it now, but whilst I agree that RLP will do nothing to get ‘their money’ it is worth mentioning that if the OP continues this pattern of offending and continues to rack up civil recovery ‘debt’ there is always the slight RISK that it will eventually amount to enough for it to be financially worth it for them to go to court for it, and I’m sorry, but as soon as the court sees an habitual pattern of theft - they will win. Unlikely i know, but not beyond the realms of possibility. Don’t give them that opportunity and nip it in the bud now.

That being said I think RLP, as mentioned before, is the least of your problems. Given that you have been CAUGHT three times, and the general (unofficial) rule of thumb is caught 1 in 10 times, there is a strong possibility you have probably shoplifted many times to get to the stage you are now (unless you really are that bad at it / unlucky) - and you should be tremendously thankful you haven’t been arrested and prosecuted.

Please get help for the behavioural issues that are causing this. Speak to your GP and be open and honest and they can refer you to more focussed help.

All the best

LPG